Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO, Gladiator to become 1 disc only!

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO, Gladiator to become 1 disc only!

Old 06-11-03, 01:06 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO, Gladiator to become 1 disc only!

Originally posted by Rypro 525
whats up dreamworks
thedigitalbits.com
Also, we have information you fans of director Ridley Scott should heed ASAP. DreamWorks is going to soon re-issue Gladiator as a single-disc edition... meaning that the excellent DVD special edition is going to disappear from store shelves. So if you don't have it already, get a copy while you still can.
I'm sure someone said this, but let me repeat it. If you want the 2 disc Gladiator, go buy it before it goes OOP. Pretty simple.
Old 06-11-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe this is still going on.... I figured after page 1, enough could be said about this. LOL.
Old 06-11-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think everyone who wants the 2-disc should buy it now. This is fair warning. And someone should also start a DVDTalk sanctioned chain e-mail warning others that the Gladiator 2-disc will soon go out-of-print and that they should are required by-law, to go out and buy a copy.
Old 06-11-03, 06:27 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Originally posted by Tommy Ceez
Arent we eventually getting a Gladiator superbit? (Didnt I read theres one overseas?) Who the hell would pay 22.99 for a Superbit Delux unless the only alternative is a one disk bb?
No, you probably won't see a "Gladiator Superbit" since Superbit is a Columbia Tri-Star Home Video line, and Gladiator is a Dreamworks title (manufactured and distributed by Universal).

So no Gladiator superbit.

That doesn't preclude a re-release a few years down.

-- Jough
Old 06-11-03, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
I think everyone who wants the 2-disc should buy it now. This is fair warning. And someone should also start a DVDTalk sanctioned chain e-mail warning others that the Gladiator 2-disc will soon go out-of-print and that they should are required by-law, to go out and buy a copy.
I think this is that thread - except for the legal recourse - of course.
Old 06-11-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, you probably won't see a "Gladiator Superbit" since Superbit is a Columbia Tri-Star Home Video line, and Gladiator is a Dreamworks title (manufactured and distributed by Universal).
I'm surprised by the number of people who don't understand this fact. For those of you still confused, ONLY Columbia Tri-Star DVDs can become a Superbit here in Region 1. They must own the rights to a film to make it a Superbit in this region.
Old 06-11-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by jough

So no Gladiator superbit.

That doesn't preclude a re-release a few years down.

-- Jough
I think they are referring to the "Chinese", "Asian-import" Superbit of Gladiator.
Old 06-11-03, 10:27 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
"Superbit" is a registered trademark of CTS. No other company can legally make one, and Columbia can only make discs of movies that they either own or are licenced to distribute.

But enough about Superbits. Gladiator is just another in an increasingly long line of SEs that are biting the dust.

Previously we had said things like "I hope it's not a trend."

Now we know that it is.

It's a trend.

And it's not good for anyone.

-- Jough
Old 06-13-03, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

People seem to think that Superbit just means good image and sound quality.

You know, Gladiator as it is now pretty much IS a superbit, the film and soundtracks are on one disc. It just also comes with a disc with extras and it's a lot cheaper :P
Old 06-13-03, 10:09 AM
Banned

I really don't think people will have a rough time finding the 2-disc edition of Gladiator even after it is OOP. I am AMAZED to see that the Fight Club 2-disc edition is fetching high prices on E-Bay. My local Best Buy, Borders, and Circuit City have a combined TWENTY THREE copies of the TWO-DISC version (10 at Best Buy, 7 at Circuit City, and 6 at Borders). These have just been sitting there for months and are priced at 22.99 When the anouncement was made about the 2-disc Fight Club dvd going OOP I had owned it since day one but my roommate's loved it so I urged them to run out and get it if they wanted it. All three of them quickly went and bought it but if they saw the absolute PLETHORA of them now sitting on the shelves in my area they would probably think I had just made up what I told them.

I suppose I could make a ton of money if I went out and purchased these then sold them on Ebay but I'd rather people just pay the normal price for these things which they can find easily if they just keep their eyes open.

Shame on you guys selling these things for such high prices!

Hell, if anyone wants one of these I'll even buy it for 22.99 and sell it to you over the internet for that price plus shipping of course.
Old 06-13-03, 02:58 PM

Please close this thread....

Thanks
Old 06-13-03, 10:39 PM
Suspended

Wow, I can't believe a simple announcement brought on this many comments (some from myself, I know).

I think it was the wording of the subject line.

I also imaging that "NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO" in slo-mo, like in a cop buddy movie where one jumps in front of the other to take a bullet.

"You took a bullet for me, Johnny. I owe you, man."

"Yeah you do. And to think, I was going to retire tomorrow..."

-- Jough
Old 06-17-03, 11:58 PM
Suspended

Well, Gladiator is not going to "become 1 disc only" after all.

Dreamworks is releasing single disc versions of Minority Report, Shrek, and Gladiator, at a lower price point.

They have no plans to discontinue the current 2-disc version of any of these titles.

From this week's "Video Store Magazine."

So don't you all feel silly now for over-reacting?

Personally, I think they may have back-peddled on these titles, originally intending to discontinue the 2-discers and then when they saw how a thread which began "NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO" on DVD Talk, well, they changed their minds in a hurry!

-- Jough, bearer of good news since 1996...
Old 06-18-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jough
Well, Gladiator is not going to "become 1 disc only" after all.

Dreamworks is releasing single disc versions of Minority Report, Shrek, and Gladiator, at a lower price point.

They have no plans to discontinue the current 2-disc version of any of these titles.

From this week's "Video Store Magazine."

So don't you all feel silly now for over-reacting?

Personally, I think they may have back-peddled on these titles, originally intending to discontinue the 2-discers and then when they saw how a thread which began "NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO" on DVD Talk, well, they changed their minds in a hurry!

-- Jough, bearer of good news since 1996...

All those suckers, I mean people, that but a S$^t load of copies are gonne be pretty ticked off.
Old 06-18-03, 12:14 AM
Suspended

Yeah, watch the eBay prices drop overnight...
Old 06-25-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I successfully returned the 30 copies I bought at Best Buy.
Thanks for the updates!
Old 06-25-03, 05:46 PM

Ah, risking being stoned by people participating in this thread, I think it's time to admit the truth:

I don't own Gladiator, and probably never will. Just don't like it all that much.

On topic though: I think it's a sad trend to downsize 2 (or more) discers to 1-disc copies. This just induces confusion, and nobody knows anymore what to buy.