Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO, Gladiator to become 1 disc only!

NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO, Gladiator to become 1 disc only!

Old 06-07-03, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by jaeufraser
It makes sense to me to replace a high selling DVD with a single disc. By this logic, most people who wanted the double disc will have it, and by cutting down to a lower priced single disc (such as the cheaper fight club) you open the movie up to a less involved, less willing to spend money crowd. I mean, it's not like the movie was avaiable for a short time. No big deal to me really.
How about they just lower the price of the 2 disc to open it up to that crowd? The 2 disc has been out for a few years. It's not like they have production costs on the 2nd disc any more. Once it's done, it's done. Ready to be pressed onto millions of discs, costing probably less than $1 each.
Old 06-07-03, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by Brian McHale
I think the reason why there are so many "who cares?" responses is the extreme overreaction of the original poster. If the title of this thread was "another disturbing trend", I suspect there would be a lot fewer people chiming in to say "so what".

My first response was: "what, have you been saving up your money for three years and now that you can almost afford it it's going out of print?" Face it, anyone who likes this film already owns it. What IS the big deal?
I have probably about 200 DVD's on my 'wish list'. I'm not going to buy them all at the same time. Yes, I already have gladiator, but someone else with 400 DVD's on their wish list might not have it yet.

What's really going to make me mad is seeing 100's of these on ebay with the title saying something like "GLADIATOR 2 DISC OOP VERY RARE!!" and buy-it-now of $49.99 when in fact you will still be able to find it in stores for probably 2 years after it goes OOP it's so common.
Old 06-08-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Okay, so a bunch of you people are saying "well, what the heck, I've got mine, so too bad for your kids and whoever else doesn't discover this fine film until 5 years from now".
So, are you some of the same people who signed the petition saying that you want Star Wars V, VI & VII in the original version?! Well, then you ought to think what you're saying! Or let me quote one posting:
"anyone who expects a DVD to exist on the market in its current form indefinitely is delusional."
So, maybe we could say the same thing about Star Wars, but say:
"anyone who expects a MOVIE to exist on the market in its current form indefinitely is delusional."
Does it matter how long the DVD has been on the marketplace? Should it be dumbed down for J6P?
You know, I rarely look at this site anymore just because of postings like this! Did anybody ever read that threadcraps are not polite!?

My 2 cents worth!
danwiz
Old 06-08-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The DVD has been out for two years!....You should have it by now if you want it!....It's a non-issue.....
Old 06-08-03, 02:09 AM
Banned

It's just amazing that so many people have lives so pathetic that they have to insult someone for posting a news item.
Old 06-08-03, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The issue here is that the movie is still going to be available. And essentially, that's the most important part. Will future DVD fans lose out on some features? Sure. But if Dreamworks keeps the first disc as it is now, they'll still recieve a nice transer and a great audio track and includes DTS. DVD collectors will still have the opportunity to purchase the movie, and hardcore collectors will have to try a bit harder to find the 2 disc version and shell out a bit more dough. There have been far worse cases where a movie has gone entirely out of print, or better versions of a film have become unavailable like with Criterion.

I can see some minor complaints, but quite frankly this isn't some great travesty in the DVD world. You can still buy the movie. It still looks great. It still sounds great. It will probably be 5 bucks cheaper. You lose some features that most people only watch once. If you're a big fan of the movie, you've had 2+ years to check out the dvd and if you have yet to purchase it, you already know its going to go OOP so you can get it now before the price goes up on Ebay.
Old 06-08-03, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by fumanstan
The issue here is that the movie is still going to be available. And essentially, that's the most important part. Will future DVD fans lose out on some features? Sure. But if Dreamworks keeps the first disc as it is now, they'll still recieve a nice transer and a great audio track and includes DTS. DVD collectors will still have the opportunity to purchase the movie, and hardcore collectors will have to try a bit harder to find the 2 disc version and shell out a bit more dough. There have been far worse cases where a movie has gone entirely out of print, or better versions of a film have become unavailable like with Criterion.

I can see some minor complaints, but quite frankly this isn't some great travesty in the DVD world. You can still buy the movie. It still looks great. It still sounds great. It will probably be 5 bucks cheaper. You lose some features that most people only watch once. If you're a big fan of the movie, you've had 2+ years to check out the dvd and if you have yet to purchase it, you already know its going to go OOP so you can get it now before the price goes up on Ebay.

Finally a voice of reason....
Old 06-08-03, 09:25 AM
Banned

Originally posted by fumanstan
If you're a big fan of the movie, you've had 2+ years to check out the dvd and if you have yet to purchase it, you already know its going to go OOP so you can get it now before the price goes up on Ebay.
People "already know" because someone posted the news and had a bunch of people treat him like crap for doing it.

After seeing how everyone treated that person, I'm not going to post anything in here that's helpful to the community anymore. Why should I when there's a gang of retards that are going to do nothing but insult me for trying to help out... and apparently they do it with the sanctioning of whoever moderates these threads.
Old 06-08-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts
Thanks JestersTear:
People "already know" because someone posted the news and had a bunch of people treat him like crap for doing it.

After seeing how everyone treated that person, I'm not going to post anything in here that's helpful to the community anymore. Why should I when there's a gang of retards that are going to do nothing but insult me for trying to help out... and apparently they do it with the sanctioning of whoever moderates these threads.
More true words could not be spoken! I often wonder nowadays if anybody is actually moderating these posts at all! If they are, then they certainly don't give a c--p what people say about posters who try to give some people some community news.
Old 06-08-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Personally, i think the comments would have been far less negative if the topic wasn't the way it was. If it didn't have the long "nnnnnooooooooo" at the beginning and had just been a news item, people wouldn't be so quick to comment the way they did. I agree that some posts are rather rude, but i can see why the people replying are thinking "wtf are you crying about?"
Old 06-08-03, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by DrMcKittrick
What concerns me is that what if the disk you have gets messed up in some unknown way and you can't replace it. I guess as long as the movie is WS anamorphic, blah blah blah we'll still be happy.

Doc
In fact, my first disc is damaged and will no longer play. My intent was to eventually replace it, but there was no rush or motivation to do so previously. It sucks to have to buy an entire new 2 disc DVD to replace the one disc only.

I am now wondering if the single disc makes more sense to replace the first damaged disc.
Old 06-08-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by JestersTear

It is not helpful to also insult them in your response.

A lack of moderator action does not equate into sanctions. Since we are volunteers and have limited time, none of us can read every thread. That is why there is a Report This Post to a Mod button. Please use it when you think there is a post that is against forum rules.
Old 06-08-03, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by danwiz
Thanks JestersTear:

More true words could not be spoken! I often wonder nowadays if anybody is actually moderating these posts at all! If they are, then they certainly don't give a c--p what people say about posters who try to give some people some community news.
I assume then that you reported those posts that you had a problem with, to the mods?

To me, and we can have a different perspective on this, is that many of the responses were rude. But being abrupt or inconsiderate or stupid or using bad spelling, while they may not be the best thing for making friends and earning respect, and not automatically against forum rules. If any poster attacked another, that would be a different issue and would then require moderator intervention.

But people are free to disagree with each other. We do not mandate that you must agree.

In my opinion, most of the responses were a bit over the top, but were caused by the hyperbole evident in the thread title and first post (perhaps because the topic starter is just a kid). When someone posts like the end of the world is nigh, then they might expect a certain response.
Old 06-08-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When exactly is the 2 disc going OOP? When is the one disc being released?
Old 06-09-03, 01:55 PM

In my opinion, most of the responses were a bit over the top, but were caused by the hyperbole evident in the thread title and first post (perhaps because the topic starter is just a kid). When someone posts like the end of the world is nigh, then they might expect a certain response.
Well stated. I think this is exactly why there are so many people going "who cares?". I don't think there are many people here who think that it's good news that the 2-disc set will be going out of print, they just can't understand why it would warrant such a strong reaction.
Old 06-09-03, 02:08 PM
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

This has been on my to buy list for awhile and I keep meaning to pick it up. I guess this is the incentive I need to finally buy it.
Old 06-09-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The DVD has been out for two years!....You should have it by now if you want it!....It's a non-issue.....
What if in a years time, someone who has never seen the movie before finally does, and realises he can only get a crappy version?

Dreamworks could easily just drop the price on the two disc.

I agree, that this isn't a HUGE deal or anything. But I still think it's slightly bad.
Old 06-09-03, 03:52 PM
Cool New Member

Caligola had sex with horses. Discuss.
Old 06-09-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you guys are so afraid your current 2-disc Gladiator will take a dump, why not just back it up on DVD-R? Then you'll be able to take it out of its temperature-controlled lucite case more than once a year.
Old 06-09-03, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone who is into film in any more than a casual way probably has a dvd player already, thus they probably already have this particular movie or can pick it up easily enough. I would say any movie that's been OOP for more than a couple years has missed a big audience(criterions especially). As far as the future goes, there will eventually be a new format which will take over and then Salo:CC will be worth $1.02.
Old 06-09-03, 11:56 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Fight Club went out of print what, nearly two years ago? And I still see copies of the 2-disc all over the place.

Gladiator was the highest selling disc of all time for awhile. You could probably pick up a few copies at Best Buy if you wanted.

Get it while you can.

And for those who haven't gotten into DVD yet or aren't aware that it's going out of print (not everyone reads internet message boards about DVD) then they'll miss out on a great SE, which is too bad for them.

Why take the two disc off the market at all? Why not offer the single disc at a lower price and still milk people for the 2-disc? That way everyone wins.

Of course, they'll probably re-release this after putting it OOP anyway.

And in a few years we won't care about DVD at all, because we'll all be replacing our discs with HD-DVD.

-- Jough
Old 06-10-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by BizRodian
What if in a years time, someone who has never seen the movie before finally does, and realises he can only get a crappy version?

Dreamworks could easily just drop the price on the two disc.

I agree, that this isn't a HUGE deal or anything. But I still think it's slightly bad.
Again reiterrating my previous point, if the DVD only includes the first disc from the current 2 disc version, its far from a "crappy version." Commentary, DTS, nice transfer. I didn't feal any of the features on disc 2 were anything extraordinary as well. Not to say that i wouldn't prefer the current version, but alas...

As for Fight Club, i thought it only officially went out of print sometime this year. And i've never seen any of the 2 disc versions in stores anymore.
Old 06-10-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I know I'd consider it the crappy version if I really liked the movie and knew that the two disc was discontinued instead of lowered in price :P

You know, what they COULD do is raise the 2 disc in price, and then release the 1 disc cheaper.
Old 06-10-03, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Look for this to happen more often. Hundreds of DVDs are being released every month. There's only room for so much stock. Just be glad that it's not going out of print for good. Eventually many DVDs will.....
Old 06-11-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Arent we eventually getting a Gladiator superbit? (Didnt I read theres one overseas?) Who the hell would pay 22.99 for a Superbit Delux unless the only alternative is a one disk bb?

BTW. F**k Special Features!

Last edited by Tommy Ceez; 06-11-03 at 11:58 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.