DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   The Animatrix - Which short is your favorite? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/296761-animatrix-short-your-favorite.html)

caiman 06-04-03 01:57 AM

The Animatrix - Which short is your favorite?

Before I got the DVD my favorite was <b>Detective Story</b>, followed closely by <b>The Second Renaissance</b>. But now after seeing them all, I am leaning towards <b>Kid's Story</b>. The animation was just incredible. I also loved <b>Matriculated</b>, even though the story was a little lacking.

Bluebomber 06-04-03 02:28 AM

The Second Renaissance Part II by far, just answered so many questions.

fumanstan 06-04-03 02:34 AM

Final Flight was my favorite. Followed by Detecive Story, and then the Second Renaissance parts. Least favorite is Matriculated

matome 06-04-03 08:00 AM

Osiris

Chew 06-04-03 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Bluebomber
I would agree with that!

Simpson Purist 06-04-03 09:21 AM

The Second Renaissance Parts I & II, great stuff.

Deckard-10 06-04-03 09:42 AM

My favorite is The Second Renaissance, followed by Final Flight of the Osiris. &nbsp Matriculated was pretty good too. &nbsp My least favorite is Kid's Story.

slop101 06-04-03 09:43 AM

Originally posted by Bluebomber
See, that's what I did NOT like about Second Renaissance. It ruined the mystery of the world before the Matrix.

I liked how we, as viewers, had no idea of where the world was when the machines started to take over. And while the shorts looked good and were well done, they put too clear a face on something that should have remained an enigma. I believe that the mystery of what happened is more compelling than spelling out exactly what occured.

I think I liked Beyond the best.

Bandoman 06-04-03 09:48 AM

I haven't seen these yet, but I plan to pick them up this week.

Are these considered canonical by the Wachowski brothers?

Zodo 06-04-03 09:56 AM

I'd have to say I liked Matriculated the best.
Next fav was The Second Renaissance Parts I & II

Least favorite was World Record. That one's just lame.

goatweed 06-04-03 10:30 AM

unless I'm mistaken, I believe the Wachowski brothers wrote the Second Renaissance - so if that's true, I'd think it to be canonical.

PixyJunket 06-04-03 11:45 AM

Originally posted by Enormous Janitor
I think they may fall under the same concept of all the extra Star Wars material, ie: they can add to your enjoyment of the universe, but in the end, the movies are the 100% deal.

Philip Reuben 06-04-03 11:58 AM

There are some that wowed me with their animation (Program) and some that were very good from a story point of view (The Second Renaissance). My favourite has to be Kid's Story, which was a nice compromise between the two - it was interesting just seeing how a normal person leaves the Matrix (and it's cool how it links into The Matrix Reloaded), and the animation style, with the scratchy outlines, was quite unique.

My least favourite was Matriculated. I liked the visual style in the whole trippy bit, but outside of that I didn't like the animation at all, and the story was... basically nonexistant.

caiman 06-04-03 12:03 PM

Originally posted by Philip Reuben

My least favourite was Matriculated. I liked the visual style in the whole trippy bit, but outside of that I didn't like the animation at all, and the story was... basically nonexistant.

Those bizzare visuals made the whole thing for me. It was like an animated Tool video. I loved it.

Zodo 06-04-03 12:05 PM

Originally posted by Philip Reuben
There are some that wowed me with their animation (Program) and some that were very good from a story point of view (The Second Renaissance). My favourite has to be Kid's Story, which was a nice compromise between the two - it was interesting just seeing how a normal person leaves the Matrix (and it's cool how it links into The Matrix Reloaded), and the animation style, with the scratchy outlines, was quite unique.

I think there was a lot more story to Matriculated than people are giving it credit for. I just saw it as a story about what would happen if machines DID decide to help humans (instead of destroying them)...would humans accept their help or still be afraid of them.

Peep 06-04-03 01:03 PM

Which is the one with the lost cat? I liked that one best.

Simpson Purist 06-04-03 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Peep
Which is the one with the lost cat? I liked that one best.
Beyond.

indycohiba 06-04-03 01:47 PM

Loved the noir animation of Detective Story!

GuruAskew 06-04-03 02:48 PM

The Wachowskis wrote four of the shorts ("Final Flight of the Osiris", "The Second Renaissance Part I & Part II" and "Kid's Story") and were directly involved in the other five. The shorts are definitely "canonical".

entitee 06-04-03 02:53 PM

the second Renaissance part 1 & 2 is just creepy to watch.
the story is awesome. the art is wonderful.
the psychadellic imagery is ridiculous.

TheOne 06-04-03 03:49 PM

Final Flight and then The Second Renaissance Parts I & II.

SCHMEGGA 06-04-03 04:26 PM

I gotta watch this tonight, but which is the one with the 1/2-dressed Asian chick in it? :eyebrow:

rabbit77 06-04-03 04:28 PM

Originally posted by SCHMEGGA
I gotta watch this tonight, but which is the one with the 1/2-dressed Asian chick in it? :eyebrow:
Flight of the Osiris, which was also done by the Final Fantasy people. Check out the bonus material... They have as a demo Aki fighting a sentinel. Cool stuff.

Rammsteinfan 06-04-03 04:31 PM

I like Osiris the best. Personally, I am glad I rented it. I dont see much replay value in this disc.

rabbit77 06-04-03 04:33 PM

Originally posted by indycohiba
Loved the noir animation of Detective Story!
I also loved that one - very Cowboy Bebop. After all, it was the same director for both.

SCHMEGGA 06-04-03 04:34 PM

Originally posted by rabbit77
Flight of the Osiris, which was also done by the Final Fantasy people. Check out the bonus material... They have as a demo Aki fighting a sentinel. Cool stuff.
Thanks! That's my fave already and I haven't seen 'em yet. :lol:

tinlunlau 06-04-03 04:35 PM

i loved Final Flight of the Osiris.
it's more direct and hits the closest to the original Matrix movies.

my 2nd fave is Detective Story. felt just like Cowboy Bebop from the clips of the show i saw. (i know it's from the director of "bebop".)

i made a big f**kup purchasing animatrix by buying the version without the soundtrack cd. are there any plans to have the soundtrack available separately?

Peep 06-04-03 06:57 PM

Originally posted by Simpson Purist
Beyond.
Thanks.

AsianImage 06-04-03 07:12 PM

Half naked Asian chicks always do it for me....

Flight was the best...

and for info alone..you cant beat Renaissance...

Beyond was stupid as was the World Record...totally did not help the story or mythology at all.

Kids story at least was connected somewhat.

Either way the DVD is awesome...I watched all the shorts and it time for the extras tonight!

Tscott 06-05-03 12:50 AM

Beyond was by far my favorite.

Blade 06-05-03 05:48 AM

My favorite was Detective Story (atmosphere), then Beyond (which was cute as well as a nice and different slice of life in the Matrix), and then Osiris (which was the prettiest, but the story was really lacking).

I also thought the ending of Matriculated was everything that Renaissance 1/2 should have been...unfortunately, I just found them to be very cliched. I was just rolling my eyes constantly over these two shorts.

Osha 06-05-03 07:15 AM

My favourite was detective story, and I agree on the fact that second renaissance was a mistake as it really ruined the Matrix world mystery...too bad, but the animation was pretty good though.

LivingINClip 06-05-03 09:48 AM

In order:

Beyond
Detective Story
The Final Flight of Orisis
The Second Ressiance : Part II

Anything else seemed like filler. Espically the very last short, Matriculated.. I hated that one.

Hokeyboy 06-05-03 11:05 AM

I really loved Final Flight on its own, andthe end of that short leads directly into the first stage of the Enter The Matrix videogame.

Renaissance I & II were amazing. I don't think it really "ruined the mystery" as much as it expanded upon the background of the story. Plus, if my hunch plays out, I think it provides a major hint of something we can expect to learn in Revolutions.

Loved Program. Detective had great animation and a sense of style, but the story didn't do too much for me. Beyond was very good.

Kid, Matriculated, and World Record were OK but nothing special.

fumanstan 06-05-03 11:17 AM

A little confused at people who think Second Renaissance "ruined the mystery" as i didn't think there was supposed to be any mystery to the begginnings of the matrix at all. Seemed to me that it just expanded on what Morpheus already said about the war between man and machine, and the scorching of the sky. Oh well.

DumDum 06-05-03 01:38 PM

Went with Osiris, but Detective Story was excellent as well.

SCHMEGGA 06-05-03 01:48 PM

I thought about 5 were really good and the other 4 were just downright stupid. Matriculated especially was just toooo way-out-there for me. The point of it was good, but the story sucked. I'd give it prolly 6-7 :up: outta 10 for the DVD.

sol4real 06-05-03 02:43 PM

World Record may have been the least stylish( story and look) out of all of them, but it still struck me as the most thought provoking of them all. To me this short showed how one could wake up from the matrix.

Gdrlv 06-05-03 04:38 PM

I really liked Kid's Story. Beyond, Final Flight and Second Renaissance were great as well.

KWilliamTaylor 06-07-03 12:56 PM

Damn, this post is on page 6 on DVDtalk already. So much for waiting three days after its release to actually watch the thing.

The shorts hit me on different levels:

For sick action value, CGI animation, cool story, Final Flight of the Osiris did it for me. Nice intro to get pumped up over. Very short though ..

Best movie tie in had to be Renaissance I and II. Necessary ...? I don't know. Some things are best left to the imagination .. however, it is only a perspective.

Beyond ranked up there for its simple point and fun nature. Showing how the system controlled those certain "glitches" was interesting. Besides, isn't there a tie in point to the movie series? ... if I recall correctly, there was a conversation (Morpheus maybe) when it was said that ghosts in the Matrix were known to be glitches of the system. If this is the case, Beyond expounded on that. Very nice.

I didn't find any one of the shorts to be bad at all. Each one had its own style and point. The DVD itself was well mastered and the soundtrack added a lot of impact to these stories, never detracting. Very well done and worth the money. And finally, favorite short ... Beyond takes it.