DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   The Animatrix - Which short is your favorite? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/296761-animatrix-short-your-favorite.html)

caiman 06-04-03 01:57 AM

The Animatrix - Which short is your favorite?
 
Before I got the DVD my favorite was <b>Detective Story</b>, followed closely by <b>The Second Renaissance</b>. But now after seeing them all, I am leaning towards <b>Kid's Story</b>. The animation was just incredible. I also loved <b>Matriculated</b>, even though the story was a little lacking.

Bluebomber 06-04-03 02:28 AM

The Second Renaissance Part II by far, just answered so many questions.

fumanstan 06-04-03 02:34 AM

Final Flight was my favorite. Followed by Detecive Story, and then the Second Renaissance parts. Least favorite is Matriculated

matome 06-04-03 08:00 AM

Osiris

Chew 06-04-03 08:37 AM


Originally posted by Bluebomber
The Second Renaissance Part II by far, just answered so many questions.
I would agree with that!

Simpson Purist 06-04-03 09:21 AM

The Second Renaissance Parts I & II, great stuff.

Deckard-10 06-04-03 09:42 AM

My favorite is The Second Renaissance, followed by Final Flight of the Osiris. &nbsp Matriculated was pretty good too. &nbsp My least favorite is Kid's Story.

slop101 06-04-03 09:43 AM


Originally posted by Bluebomber
The Second Renaissance Part II by far, just answered so many questions.
See, that's what I did NOT like about Second Renaissance. It ruined the mystery of the world before the Matrix.

I liked how we, as viewers, had no idea of where the world was when the machines started to take over. And while the shorts looked good and were well done, they put too clear a face on something that should have remained an enigma. I believe that the mystery of what happened is more compelling than spelling out exactly what occured.

I think I liked Beyond the best.

Bandoman 06-04-03 09:48 AM

I haven't seen these yet, but I plan to pick them up this week.

Are these considered canonical by the Wachowski brothers?

Zodo 06-04-03 09:56 AM

I'd have to say I liked Matriculated the best.
Next fav was The Second Renaissance Parts I & II

Least favorite was World Record. That one's just lame.

goatweed 06-04-03 10:30 AM


Are these considered canonical by the Wachowski brothers?
unless I'm mistaken, I believe the Wachowski brothers wrote the Second Renaissance - so if that's true, I'd think it to be canonical.

PixyJunket 06-04-03 11:45 AM


Originally posted by Enormous Janitor
Are these considered canonical by the Wachowski brothers?
I think they may fall under the same concept of all the extra Star Wars material, ie: they can add to your enjoyment of the universe, but in the end, the movies are the 100% deal.

Philip Reuben 06-04-03 11:58 AM

There are some that wowed me with their animation (Program) and some that were very good from a story point of view (The Second Renaissance). My favourite has to be Kid's Story, which was a nice compromise between the two - it was interesting just seeing how a normal person leaves the Matrix (and it's cool how it links into The Matrix Reloaded), and the animation style, with the scratchy outlines, was quite unique.

My least favourite was Matriculated. I liked the visual style in the whole trippy bit, but outside of that I didn't like the animation at all, and the story was... basically nonexistant.

caiman 06-04-03 12:03 PM


Originally posted by Philip Reuben


My least favourite was Matriculated. I liked the visual style in the whole trippy bit, but outside of that I didn't like the animation at all, and the story was... basically nonexistant.

Those bizzare visuals made the whole thing for me. It was like an animated Tool video. I loved it.

Zodo 06-04-03 12:05 PM


Originally posted by Philip Reuben
There are some that wowed me with their animation (Program) and some that were very good from a story point of view (The Second Renaissance). My favourite has to be Kid's Story, which was a nice compromise between the two - it was interesting just seeing how a normal person leaves the Matrix (and it's cool how it links into The Matrix Reloaded), and the animation style, with the scratchy outlines, was quite unique.

My least favourite was Matriculated. I liked the visual style in the whole trippy bit, but outside of that I didn't like the animation at all, and the story was... basically nonexistant.

I think there was a lot more story to Matriculated than people are giving it credit for. I just saw it as a story about what would happen if machines DID decide to help humans (instead of destroying them)...would humans accept their help or still be afraid of them.

Peep 06-04-03 01:03 PM

Which is the one with the lost cat? I liked that one best.

Simpson Purist 06-04-03 01:18 PM


Originally posted by Peep
Which is the one with the lost cat? I liked that one best.
Beyond.

indycohiba 06-04-03 01:47 PM

Loved the noir animation of Detective Story!

GuruAskew 06-04-03 02:48 PM

The Wachowskis wrote four of the shorts ("Final Flight of the Osiris", "The Second Renaissance Part I & Part II" and "Kid's Story") and were directly involved in the other five. The shorts are definitely "canonical".

entitee 06-04-03 02:53 PM

the second Renaissance part 1 & 2 is just creepy to watch.
the story is awesome. the art is wonderful.
the psychadellic imagery is ridiculous.

TheOne 06-04-03 03:49 PM

Final Flight and then The Second Renaissance Parts I & II.

SCHMEGGA 06-04-03 04:26 PM

I gotta watch this tonight, but which is the one with the 1/2-dressed Asian chick in it? :eyebrow:

rabbit77 06-04-03 04:28 PM


Originally posted by SCHMEGGA
I gotta watch this tonight, but which is the one with the 1/2-dressed Asian chick in it? :eyebrow:
Flight of the Osiris, which was also done by the Final Fantasy people. Check out the bonus material... They have as a demo Aki fighting a sentinel. Cool stuff.

Rammsteinfan 06-04-03 04:31 PM

I like Osiris the best. Personally, I am glad I rented it. I dont see much replay value in this disc.

rabbit77 06-04-03 04:33 PM


Originally posted by indycohiba
Loved the noir animation of Detective Story!
I also loved that one - very Cowboy Bebop. After all, it was the same director for both.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.