Community
Search

South Park S2 DVDs: censored or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
South Park S2 DVDs: censored or not?

Before I ponder getting that I was wondering if anyone noticed anything censored in it

For instance I know there’s a Michael Jackson joke in the Mexican staring frog from Southern Sri Lanka. Was that kept or censored like in S1?
Old 06-03-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh god here we go again
The MJ joke in s1 DID not occur, it is implied the announcer said something dirty but he really didn't. The s2 episode, I don't know yet.
Old 06-03-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
The MJ joke in s1 DID not occur, it is implied the announcer said something dirty but he really didn't.
I DID!! I remember it clearly!! IT DID!! To this day I still curse myself for deleting that LQ RM I had!!
Old 06-03-03, 10:34 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
No, the government did not step in and make changes to the South Park 2 DVDs.
Old 06-03-03, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the original taping of all the season 1 eps and that Michael Jackson thingy didn't happen. I checked that out the LAST time we brought this up And as for editing on season 2? No. You would hear about such things in reviews on the set....such as the osama scene cut from the Family Guy set
Old 06-03-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by mzupeman2
I had the original taping of all the season 1 eps and that Michael Jackson thingy didn't happen. I checked that out the LAST time we brought this up
It WAS!! An besides there is no way so many people totally unrelated could have the same memory!! That MJ joke was there, plain and simple!!

And as for editing on season 2? No. You would hear about such things in reviews on the set....such as the osama scene cut from the Family Guy set
True. That was brought up in reviews, but reviews did not bring up the other two instances of censorship in the Family guy DVDs (JFK, Seig Heil).
Old 06-04-03, 12:36 AM

I'm four episodes into the set now, and I only noticed one thing that was changed from the very first broadcast of the show.

In "Ike's Wee Wee," Mr. Mackey makes a comment about "right-wing bulls**t" or something to that effect. The very first time that episode ran (I have it on tape), they forgot to beep the word. On subsequent broadcasts, the word was beeped out. The version on the DVD is the beeped version.

Not that this matters to me in the slightest with regard to my enjoyment of the set, but I thought someone somewhere reading this thread might want to know.
Old 06-04-03, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was no Michael Jackson joke. The setup was there, we all knew what was coming, but they didn't say it.
Old 06-04-03, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Class316
It WAS!!
The burden falls on you to provide proof.
Old 06-04-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Morf
The burden falls on you to provide proof.
here is something from an old thread:

Originally posted by Londo
That is most correct... I remeber watching the FIRST FIRST broadcast of "Big Gay Al's" and they absolutely DID have 'Michael Jackson' on the end (in fact it was "since Michael Jackson's last birthday party") I remember it clearly because they got me with that joke while I was drinking a coke and did a perfect 'spit take' all over the universal remote and had to go buy another one next morning.. AND! On the showing later that NIGHT (which I had a tape ready for) it had been cut. (they did show them twice on the same night then). AND it is reported that on the overseas airings of the show, he still says it.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=255418

Face it, there's no money so many could have the same memory spark!
Old 06-04-03, 09:34 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
A link to a post on a message board isn't proof. Proof would be a link to a clip that included the Michael Jackson quote, or to an interview with Trey and Matt where they mention the line.
Old 06-04-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
A link to a post on a message board isn't proof. Proof would be a link to a clip that included the Michael Jackson quote, or to an interview with Trey and Matt where they mention the line.
I used to have the ep uncut

But seriously, the only proof you need is that this one was cut while the others had something after the "since". At the very very least, SOMETHING was cut.
Old 06-04-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've got that episode on tape from the original broadcast......and no it never happened.
Old 06-04-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also have the very first airing, it did not happen.
Old 06-04-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Class316
here is something from an old thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=255418

Face it, there's no money so many could have the same memory spark!
Since they preceded that particular line with:
"I haven't seen an Englishman take a blow like that since Hugh Grant!"
I think it's not only possible, but likely that people would fill in the blanks with a likely celebrity reference. That's the genius. They didn't have to slam anyone, because everyone completed the joke in their minids.

I also had the original episode on tape. I watched it with a friend when it first aired, and later on, he distinctly remembered the line being "since Michael Jackson was in town."

Anyways, if you people want to get up in arms over a line that was never there, go nuts.

I'm out.
Old 06-04-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Class316 - way to hijack your OWN thread.

Just wacthed "The Mexican Staring Frog", and it was intact and uncensored.

Last edited by rfduncan; 06-04-03 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by rfduncan
Class316 - way to hijack your OWN thread.
ha ha yea I noticed

But it was there dammit :/ it was!!
Old 06-04-03, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you're so sure it was there and that you had an RM of it.. the RM must still be out there yes? Try looking for it and then if you bring solid proof to the table, we'll be happy to agree with your claims. I find it hard to believe it would've been taken out considering that the show's creators are pretty hardcore on celebrity bashing..
Old 06-04-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
If you're so sure it was there and that you had an RM of it.. the RM must still be out there yes?
It was a 5mb RM. And back when I got it these were common as connections were still slow (you’re talking South Park Season 1 here). Nowadays 35mb is the minimum you’ll ever find on a South Park ep. But I did try looking. I’d go on IRC #s and ask people to check their eps (of course, all have HQ eps from DivX to VCD to SVCD). Most of my responses went something like “yes I remember that statement hold on let me check mine” and then “it’s not there!!!”.

It’s probably lost somewhere in cyberspace heaven now :/

It’s similar to when Cartman says “Kyle’s mom is a dirty Jew” with the “dirty” being beeped out later on!! Again, I had this on LQ 5mb RM then upgraded my file only to have it censored
Old 06-04-03, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the dirty jew line is known and was edited according to imdb for what ever reason. As mentioned before the season 2 michael jackson joke is uncut. On season 1, maybe something happened where internet copies are different since many people saw it when it originally aired.
Old 06-04-03, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The episodes are almost always tinkered with after the first showing by Matt and Trey, but usually just to fix screw ups in the animation since they sometimes finish an episode the day it airs.

There have been a few lines bleeped, but nothing that major.

I don't remember the Jackson joke any different than it is now.
Old 06-04-03, 09:39 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
In season one, did they leave in the line "I haven't seen a Jew run like that since Poland, 1938!"

God, those were funny. I'll have to dig out the old VHS tapes from the original broadcasts and see what MJ joke you people think you heard.

-- Jough
Old 06-04-03, 10:33 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
MJ joke is not there. I have the original tapings as well.
Old 06-05-03, 12:46 AM
Banned

This reminds me of the urban legend about Johnny Carson's offer to pet Zsa Zsa's ***** if she'd 'move that damn cat'.

Me thinks a new urban legend has been born........
Old 06-05-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just so those who say it is there know, there have been cases like this before where large groups of people swear something happened and others swearing it never has. One that comes to mind are the people who SWEAR that the Luke and Biggs scenes aired in the 80s on CBS TV airings of Star Wars. And of course, the whole Back to the Future thing...

So saying that it has to have happened because others remember it is kind of flawed

I don't remember hearing it, but I seem to remember a sound byte I downloaded from that perticular episode that I recall thinking to myself "Hey... that wasn't in the show I saw..."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.