Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Shaken & Stirred On Ice - CC Bond DVD

Old 06-03-03, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Since I don't have a BB anywhere near me I went to CC and got the Bond DVD with DVD freebie. That's right, referring to it as a DVD-ROM is not correct. It is a DVD first and foremost with the ability to tie to a couple standard Bond websites as the DVD-ROM option (yawn).

Everything else is a standard DVD. I really enjoyed the Shaken & Stirred On Ice documentary which lasts 23 minutes and shows a lot of the production planning activities mostly centered around the scenes on ice and more specifically around the car chase scenes on ice and the ice hotel. Pretty neat.

Other options:

Making of 007 Nightfire (video game) - pretty much a waste of time although some of the images are pretty good.

James Bond Theme Music Video (Bond vs. Oakenfold)

Worthless JB DVD Catalog Trailer

Certainly the Bond Girls DVD freebie from BB is another good option. Perhaps buy both and get both freebies and return one copy of Die Another Day - ahem keeping the freebie.
Old 06-03-03, 11:50 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
With the exception of the Shaken and Stirred Doc, everything else is on the Bond Girls disc (altho I could be wrong)
Old 06-03-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to the case (haven't watched it yet) the BB Bond Girl DVD has the documentary, a bond girl photo gallery & timeline, plus the music video and Bond catalog trailers. BNo mention of the Nightfire video game feature. (But there is one on disc 2 of DAD.)
Old 06-03-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, just to clarify before the Bond completist in me orders this thing from CC...

This is a DVD, and not a DVD-ROM? The documentary plays in set-top players?
Old 06-03-03, 01:07 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
So, just to clarify before the Bond completist in me orders this thing from CC...

This is a DVD, and not a DVD-ROM? The documentary plays in set-top players?
Yes this is a DVD and plays on set-top players.
Old 06-03-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's a nice little addition to one's JB collection, especially if last fall's barrage of JB dvd incentives has gotten your juices flowing. offhand, i'd say there must've been at least five to six bond promo dvds/cdrom/etc. related to die another day and the reissue of the bond box set last year (sigh).
Old 06-03-03, 11:12 PM

I believe that "Shaken and Stirred on Ice" is on the R2 disc.
Old 06-04-03, 12:21 AM

Can anyone confirm if the only difference between the Best Buy and Circuit City bonus DVDs is the "Shaken, Not Stirred on Ice" documentary? (Apparently the Nightfire video game feature is in the DAD DVD set itself?)

I just want to feel better that the only thing I'm missing on the Best Buy bonus DVD compared to the Circuit City bonus DVD is a 23 minute documentary and not a bunch of other cool stuff. Too bad they didn't include BOTH documentaries. I'm sure they could've fit everything on a single layer.
Old 06-04-03, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by Manzana
Can anyone confirm if the only difference between the Best Buy and Circuit City bonus DVDs is the "Shaken, Not Stirred on Ice" documentary? (Apparently the Nightfire video game feature is in the DAD DVD set itself?)
I had to buy two copies of the movie today, so I figured I'd take advantage of both the CC and the BB promo and buy one in each store. So yes, I can definitely confirm that the only difference in the CC disc is that it comes with the Shaken, Not Stirred On Ice documentary and the Nightfire feature.
Old 06-04-03, 10:00 AM

CloudVader, thanks for that info. Are you a Bond completist planning on keeping both copies of the movie or will you be returning one? Since the Bond Girls Are Forever DVD is listed on the BBY receipt (on mine it shows up as another Die Another Day for $0), I expect BBY would demand the bonus DVD back if someone try to return just the movie?

Given that I'm only missing a documentary and a video game feature, I think I can let it drop and live with just the Bond Girls Are Forever bonus DVD.
Old 06-04-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

one shouldn't have to mention or promote the "buying/returning a purchase simply to obtain the freebie" tactic.

the movie is only $14.99, and returning the purchase doesn't help them keep prices low for the rest of us on future releases.
Old 06-04-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by darmok
one shouldn't have to mention or promote the "buying/returning a purchase simply to obtain the freebie" tactic.

the movie is only $14.99, and returning the purchase doesn't help them keep prices low for the rest of us on future releases.
Well said darmok......
Old 06-04-03, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is this bonus DVD inside the normal case, or is it in like a little cardboard case taped to the outside?
Old 06-04-03, 12:37 PM

Best Buy is now offering Shaken AND stirred with Die Another Day.
Old 06-04-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. Instead you should sell the DAD DVD sealed on like half.com or something . I mean you should be able to get at least $12 for it making the bonus DVD about $2.
Old 06-04-03, 02:37 PM

Originally posted by Manzana
CloudVader, thanks for that info. Are you a Bond completist planning on keeping both copies of the movie or will you be returning one? Since the Bond Girls Are Forever DVD is listed on the BBY receipt (on mine it shows up as another Die Another Day for $0), I expect BBY would demand the bonus DVD back if someone try to return just the movie?
Well, when I said I had to buy two copies, I didn't mean I had to buy them just for the freebies. One copy was for my parents, one copy was for me. I wasn't planning on returning or reselling the second copy. But since both stores had freebies offered, I figured I might as well take advantage of both since I had to buy two copies anyway. I'm kind of surprised (maybe a little hurt *sniff*) some of you took it to mean I did it just to return one of them and keep the free item, which was not the case at all.

EDIT: Although now after posting this and remembering all the bargain threads where people bought a zillion copies of something mispriced all for themselves or the threads where people asked why they can't resell CH discs, I'm betting someone somewhere did try to get both free discs and return one DAD to one of the stores. Can't be too careful, I guess.

Last edited by CloudVader; 06-04-03 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-04-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hi CloudVader,

my comment wasn't directed at you, but rather i was trying to make a general statement, and hopefully don't sound too preachy in the process.

there's nothing wrong with trying for all the different promo items and in the process ending up with multiple copies, but it would get really ugly if everyone made returns because the freebie wasn't documented on the receipt.

on a different note, somebody mentioned that the shaken not stirred dvd is now offered by BB....how is it offered? online or at the B&Ms?
Old 06-04-03, 03:50 PM

I picked up both the Circuit City one and the Best Buy one and they each play on your DVD player, and when put in your DVD-ROM all the same features are presented in Quicktime.
Old 06-04-03, 06:39 PM

hi CloudVader,

my comment wasn't directed at you, but rather i was trying to make a general statement, and hopefully don't sound too preachy in the process.
No problem, I just didn't want people to get the wrong impression of me since I've still got newbie status here. And you're not preachy at all with what you said; you're dead on the money.