Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Picture Quality Vs. Extras

Picture Quality Vs. Extras

Old 06-02-03, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by William Fuld
Can anybody name some titles, released in the last year, where the picture quality has suffered because of extras?
I guess this is the main question here...anyone have an answer?
Old 06-02-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Hiro11
I guess this is the main question here...anyone have an answer?
I doubt it was because of the extras, I don't know, but "The Good Girl" had a really soft picture and poor rendition of dark areas -- in dark shots, character's hair appeared blue. It's not my display's fault, that much I know. I've got the ISF calibration report to back me up there.

Whether it's fault of the transfer itself or poor/heavy compression, I don't rightly know.
Old 06-02-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The marketing people over at Sony must be patting themselves on the backs right now, having gotten so many of you to swallow their Superbit mumbo jumbo. They aren't doing anything countless other studios weren't doing already: putting the movie on one disc then the extras on another disc. The only difference is in most cases they don't bother to actually put extras on a second disc. Sure, they still charge you full price, but you're getting a Superbit so it must be worth it.

The extras vs. picture quality argument would hold more water with me if it weren't for two things: 1) The available space and bitrates on most Superbits are not maxed out (if memory serves there were a few gigs of space left over on "Panic Room" for example), and 2) There are countless DVDs that have plenty of extras and are still reference quality.

Last edited by Mr. Salty; 06-02-03 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 04:30 PM

superbit

good point mr. salty not only do they charge you just as much they actually charge you more. Superbits over at best buy are 22.95 where other movies are from 14.95-19.99 Im not sure which movies in particular have suffered because i have no way of seeing it to compare but after watching desperado superbit and lotr which is split between two discs It just made me curious how many other movies look this good but are being held back for marketing purposes. desperado superbit looks better than most other movies i have and its a fairly old movie so it cant be the only one. While were at this what movies look the best to you all?
Old 06-02-03, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can anybody name some titles, released in the last year, where the picture quality has suffered because of extras?
The question really is, would these titles that have extras look even better? I mean some very good transfers could look great without the extras on the same side of the disc.

To answer your question, I can't list a new title that came out within the last year (maybe Spider-Man). Off the top of my head, Superbit Men in Black does look better than the original (which had extras on the same side of the disc) --- so do the other Superbit titles I have seen. The difference isn't day and night, but noticable and appreciable.
Old 06-02-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Mr. Salty
The marketing people over at Sony must be patting themselves on the backs right now, having gotten so many of you to swallow their Superbit mumbo jumbo. They aren't doing anything countless other studios weren't doing already: putting the movie on one disc then the extras on another disc. The only difference is in most cases they don't bother to actually put extras on a second disc. Sure, they still charge you full price, but you're getting a Superbit so it must be worth it.

The extras vs. picture quality argument would hold more water with me if it weren't for two things: 1) The available space and bitrates on most Superbits are not maxed out (if memory serves there were a few gigs of space left over on "Panic Room" for example), and 2) There are countless DVDs that have plenty of extras and are still reference quality.
Ditto! One thing I hate about the Superbit titles is the lack of a second disc of extras. Instead they release 2 versions of the same film. They could easily just release 2 disc Superbt titles. If they really wanted to make some money they should also look into spine numbers.
Old 06-02-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The marketing people over at Sony must be patting themselves on the backs right now, having gotten so many of you to swallow their Superbit mumbo jumbo.
Superbit has always been a marketing gimmick. It's an excuse for Sony to release 2-3 versions of the same movie(or in the case of Men In Black, about a half dozen). Why is it so hard to get a DVD right the first time around? It drives me nutz to see studios like New Line, Fox, Dreamworks, and Universal(now that they've abandoned the "Ultimate Edition" fiasco) giving us loaded SEs with tons of extras, great picture quality, AND DD and DTS tracks, and meanwhile with Sony we've gotta decide whether we want the initial bare bones release, the SE re-release with extras, or the Superbit re-re-release with better picture quality and DTS. It's no wonder that lately I've been passing on Sony discs altogether and spending my money elsewhere.
Old 06-04-03, 08:59 PM
Banned

I don't think I could compare. Both are available these days so it's a moot point.
Old 06-04-03, 10:13 PM

Picture quality first and foremost. Seeing a movie with a beautiful transfer makes me really happy.... I don't know what it is, it just makes me feel good. I can live without the extras. Sometimes I don't even watch them. And with certain movies, I believe watching the extras ruin the "magic" of it. Many people work on a movie to give you that one package, the movie itself. By picking it apart and seeing all the tricks and secrets, you kind of ruin the wholeness of the movie.
Old 06-04-03, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Crack 6K
I can live without the extras. Sometimes I don't even watch them. And with certain movies, I believe watching the extras ruin the "magic" of it. Many people work on a movie to give you that one package, the movie itself. By picking it apart and seeing all the tricks and secrets, you kind of ruin the wholeness of the movie.
If you choose to not watch the extras, that's fine. The rest of us would appreciate at least having the option.
Old 06-05-03, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's an excerpt from DVDTalk's review on MIB:Superbit:

There are no special features included on this DVD... which is normal for a Superbit presentation, which boasts that the lack of special features allows the full disc space to be devoted to the film's audio and video, thus allowing for the highest quality of transfer.

That's a great idea... except when it's not true.

The transfer is indeed an outstanding one, with a very high bit rate (11.3 mb/s on average); it's pretty much as good as it's possible to get. But of the 9 GB of space on the DVD, only about 6.5 GB are occupied by the film. This leaves about 3 GB that could have been used for something else... like a decent load of special features (which, after all, don't require the same high audio/video quality as the film) without having the slightest effect on the quality of the film's transfer. In other words, the "no extras" on this Superbit is simply a result of the series' gimmick: there is absolutely no reason, technically speaking, why we couldn't have gotten this outstanding transfer and some special features as well.