Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Homicide: Life On the Streets

Old 05-30-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my box set from DDD yesterday.

First of all, I LOVE these slim cases. I hate having to unfold thirty six different times to get one disc..

I'm just pissed that there's only 13 eps between TWO seasons. I'm desperately trying to ration 'em out so there isn't a long gap between the eventual [fingers crossed] release of the remaining seasons.

If you're a fan of cop shows -- NYPD Blue, Law & Order, the Shield, etc..you OWE it to yourself to check this set out*. If you're a fan of OZ &/or ER, keep your eyes open...you're bound to see someone you recognize.

I'm wondering though...how will they handle the Law & Order crossovers..?

This is one show that deserves to still be on the air.

* DeepDiscountDVD.com is your best bet -- $37.21 shipped.
Old 05-30-03, 11:12 PM

The 13 episodes in two seasons confused me so much, that up until a month ago I thought that the show only ran two seasons. I'd figured it was one of those shows that was really good, and then died. So, the whole 100+ episode thing kind of blindsided me.

Just finished Three Men and Adena, and I'm absolutely loving the show so far. Depending on the gap between releases, I'll probably wind up going back and rewatching this set right before the next one comes out.

All the familiar faces are kind of hard to take, though. I spent about three minutes trying to figure out how I recognized one guy, and when I realized it was Groves from Oz, I about fell out of my chair. On the upside, I like all of the actors who are showing up.

It's kind of a pity this show couldn't get a court-centric spinoff. Four different L&O's, but only one Homicide? Unfair.
Old 06-01-03, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of the best of all time. Will own this soon. I will remember that at least the show maintained the highest standard throughout and is still a secret to some of us.
Old 06-09-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Anyone happen to know the sales figures so far..?

Also...I encourage everyone that owns this set to drop a line at A&E.com's feedback page and let them know that the remaining five seasons would be appreciated...
Old 06-09-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 587 Likes on 473 Posts
Re: Homicide: Life On the Streets

Originally posted by Rogue588

I'm wondering though...how will they handle the Law & Order crossovers..?

Nothing special - probably just like any other episode. The L&O halves will not be included I'm sure.

Of course, Universal is screwing the L&O fans by going to best-of releases instead of continuing with the season sets.

Last edited by Red Dog; 06-09-03 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-09-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 587 Likes on 473 Posts
Re: Re: Homicide: Life On the Streets

Originally posted by Red Dog

Of course, Universal is screwing the L&O fans by going to best-of releases instead of continuing with the season sets.

Now I may have spoke too soon. From http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news.cfm

Easy Come, Easy Go
6/05/2003

We titled our very recent (5/20) news item "Disappointing news for Law & Order fans...", where we noted that Universal was releasing more DVDs, but "not the season sets that are clearly desired by the majority of fans".

In a move that may or may not be good news, Universal has quickly changed their minds about this release. An update from them today states:

"Law & Order: The Collections has been removed from our schedule. Effective 6/05/2003"

We're not sure yet what this means in the long run. Does it just mean a delay? Does it mean Universal is listening to the demand and switching to a Season 2 release? Does it mean that there was simply some unrelated problem with the releases, like a rights issue for instance, and had to cancel no matter what? Does it mean Universal is mad, so they're taking their ball and going home?

It's frankly too early to tell, and so we'll keep our police scanner tuned in and pass out an A.P.B. just as soon as the perp is sighted...
Old 06-09-03, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anyone happen to know the sales figures so far..?

Also...I encourage everyone that owns this set to drop a line at A&E.com's feedback page and let them know that the remaining five seasons would be appreciated...
I'm glad you mentioned this that's what I did yesterday b4 I read your post..Hoefully everyone else will also

Old 06-10-03, 12:04 PM

I love the DVD set packaging of HLOTS. This is my all-time favorite show so I'm happy as I can be to have this.

Jlbkwrm: I'm always glad when someone new discovers the show. I always liked the "quiet" episodes that just dealt with the characters. My favorite episodes were "3 Men and Adena," Season 3's "Crosetti," and season 4's "Requiem for
Spoiler:
Adena
" and "Full Moon" and the one where everyone is on a stakeout in a couple's house and you find out great details about the characters.

Some of those felt like they were mini-movies; the series was just too good for American television.
Old 06-13-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

You can get the Homicide movie for $8.19 shipped at Overstock.com.

THIS link will give you a $5 gc in your cart. [New Customers] Then just search for "Homicide". It's the first one.
Old 06-15-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get the Homicide movie for $8.19 shipped at Overstock.com.

THIS link will give you a $5 gc in your cart. [New Customers] Then just search for "Homicide". It's the first one.
Should probably point out that the movie came out after the series ended. So anyone new to the show should probably avoid ...temporarily.
Old 06-16-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Khalid
"Full Moon" and the one where everyone is on a stakeout in a couple's house and you find out great details about the characters.
Full Moon is my single favorite episode, and the stakeout one is classic. ("I don't know about you, Tim, but...I don't want to see Munch run out a bunt." - Pembleton

The guy who owns the house they stay in is the same fellow playing Prez in The Wire.