Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Blade Runner Director's Cut and Collector's

Old 05-29-03, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the difference between Blade Runner Director's Cut (Warner) and Collctor's Edition (Creative)? The price gap is pretty high but each set has only one disc. Could you tell me some?
Old 05-29-03, 04:54 AM
Banned

Re: Blade Runner Director's Cut and Collector's

Originally posted by grayphish
What is the difference between Blade Runner Director's Cut (Warner) and Collctor's Edition (Creative)? The price gap is pretty high but each set has only one disc. Could you tell me some?
Well, it appears that both are the director's cut.

The extra cost for the Creative package is for all of the extra 'trinkets' -

8 Original Limited Edition Lobby Cards
Exclusive Limited Edition Senitype image from movie with 35mm Film Frame
Original One Sheet Movie Poster (27x40)

The actual disc appear to be the same, so it's your call if you want all of the extras or not....
Old 05-29-03, 11:54 AM

Thanks a lot.
I'll buy regular director's cut.
Old 05-29-03, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by grayphish
Thanks a lot.
I'll buy regular director's cut.
There's another super-duper version coming out, so you may want to wait it out. Then again, the wait has been pretty long so far. When is that new Blade Runner DVD being released again?
Old 05-29-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by btribble
When is that new Blade Runner DVD being released again?
Supposedly Last year!!

I still donít get whatís so great about bladerunner. I found it pretty boring
Old 05-29-03, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I watched it for the first time in a production design class and also found it boring. The atmosphere was great though.
Old 05-29-03, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah Bladerunner. I can understand why people think it is boring. Especially the younger generation. Believe me,...in the early 80s, it was what would be described now as "the bomb"...oops sorry...meant..."da bomb".
I can relate though...
because if we go a few years back before Bladerunner...we hit 2001: A Space Odyssey. Now, ... I thought THAT movie was boring, but I'm sure older film lovers will argue with the exact same argument I made about Bladerunner.
I think it all comes down to, what you were exposed to before you actually saw these movies,...and of course...personal taste.
Old 05-29-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Class316
Supposedly Last year!!

I still donít get whatís so great about bladerunner. I found it pretty boring
...perhaps you should invest in some film classes then...if you can't tell what is so great about it!!
Old 05-29-03, 01:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
...perhaps you should invest in some film classes then...if you can't tell what is so great about it!!
Well...as someone who LOVES blade runner...i can definitely see where people may have the opinion that it is boring. It is extremely slow moving and there isn't a whole helluva lot to get emotionally invested in. It's not a fun popcorn flick and there's a lot to analyze. Some people just ain't into that. in fact, most of the people i've shown BR to don't really like it at all. It took me repeated viewings plus reading The Making of Blade Runner to fully "get" it and that was only because Harrison Ford was in it. I don't think that a film should be subjected to that much scrutiny in order to comprehend all of its messages when it's not too damn interesting in the first place. Some people just ain't that dedicated.

As someone who went to a film school and knew a lot of "film class" snobs, that too can go over the edge. You sometimes end up with a bunch of overanalytical rejects who come up with wonderful theories about something that was really a continuity error. Amusing at parties but can be annoying as hell.

Whatever floats yer boat.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 05-29-03 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 01:25 PM

I think he had it right when he formed his own opinion. The movie is boring, stylistic and well enough acted, but boring nonetheless. Perhaps you being an expert can teach us what's so great about it...
Old 05-29-03, 01:30 PM

Ah...all this reminds me of a Brittney Spears quote from the Sundance Film Festival 2003:

"Sundance is weird. The movies are weird, you actually have to think about them when you watch them."

Good times.
Old 05-29-03, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by NoirTech
Ah...all this reminds me of a Brittney Spears quote from the Sundance Film Festival 2003:

"Sundance is weird. The movies are weird, you actually have to think about them when you watch them."

Good times.
ok yeah...good quote.

But there's more to Blade Runner than just thinking. I'm all for a "thinking man's movie" but BR is more thinking and analyzing while being trapped in a depressing, rainy and slow moving world. You're a bit confused from the onset and then it can just get worse because there's not a damn thing to care about.
Old 05-29-03, 01:36 PM
Keeper of the Comfy Chair

Ah Bladerunner. I can understand why people think it is boring. Especially the younger generation. Believe me,...in the early 80s, it was what would be described now as "the bomb"...oops sorry...meant..."da bomb".
I can relate though...
because if we go a few years back before Bladerunner...we hit 2001: A Space Odyssey. Now, ... I thought THAT movie was boring, but I'm sure older film lovers will argue with the exact same argument I made about Bladerunner.
I think it all comes down to, what you were exposed to before you actually saw these movies,...and of course...personal taste.
Now this argument makes sense. This probably explains why I don't like movies like Blade Runner or Better Off Dead (which I didn't see until a couple of years ago) but I think that movies like Tron and Strange Brew, which I saw at the time they were released, are timeless masterpieces.

Such a simple explanation, too, but it never occurred to me......
Old 05-29-03, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
ok yeah...good quote.

But there's more to Blade Runner than just thinking. I'm all for a "thinking man's movie" but BR is more thinking and analyzing while being trapped in a depressing, rainy and slow moving world. You're a bit confused from the onset and then it can just get worse because there's not a damn thing to care about.
I understand. This takes us back to personal tastes. I'm all for depressing movies I guess. :-) I'm sure I'm not alone, since BR has a huge following.
Old 05-29-03, 02:35 PM
Banned

I love Blade Runner and it's not boring. It is "detached". We never get too intimate with anyone, so we don't care about their fate. This detachment can be dificult for some viewers.

While there are some issues to think about in the film, the real joy for me is the feeling and texture of the future. It's so exquisetly realised that you just want to wallow in it.
Old 05-29-03, 02:54 PM
Banned

I understand. This takes us back to personal tastes. I'm all for depressing movies I guess. :-) I'm sure I'm not alone, since BR has a huge following.
As I stated above...i'm a HUGE fan of the movie. Just saying that it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Old 05-29-03, 05:08 PM
Banned

danol- What the hell is wrong with you?
Old 05-29-03, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by Pants
danol- What the hell is wrong with you?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You beat me to it! I was about to ask the exact same thing.
Old 05-29-03, 05:18 PM

danol, you do know they edited the second shooter out of the digital version right?
Old 05-29-03, 06:22 PM

Can you say Thread hijacking?
Old 05-29-03, 06:23 PM

read the book, and the movie becomes a roller coaster ride in comparison.
Old 05-29-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: Blade Runner Director's Cut and Collector's

Originally posted by SergeantPinback

8 Original Limited Edition Lobby Cards
Exclusive Limited Edition Senitype image from movie with 35mm Film Frame
Original One Sheet Movie Poster (27x40)
ordered this last week, cant wait to get it. I love this film and have loved it since seeing it in the theaters while in high school. I forgot all about it when it came out so long ago...had a hard time finding it in stock a while back...but looks like it's coming next week

most diaper-dandys(teens) I know dis-like the film.....but then vermin never did have great taste in film or music. it's not thier fault though...they only eat what they are force fed.
Old 05-29-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by C Roberts
I think he had it right when he formed his own opinion. The movie is boring, stylistic and well enough acted, but boring nonetheless. Perhaps you being an expert can teach us what's so great about it...
I never said I am an expert others with much more knowledge about film have long ago concluded that this is indeed a very unique film.

The film is far from being boring....thought-provoking and less action oriented?....yes. I highly doubt it you're old enough to know how significant this film was when it first came out. In fact, many recent sci-fi and even action films are still trying to copy the depth and vision the movie has. Furthermore, its sophisticated character has spurred a number of discussions around the world...trying to look under the plot layers designed by Ridley Scott.

I have to agree with the above post though....not all has to be fed up to you so that a film is "non-boring"!

With all that said...I respect your personal opinion.
Old 05-30-03, 12:05 AM
Banned

[B] I highly doubt it you're old enough to know how significant this film was when it first came out.B]
Hahahaha

that's kinda funny. I think YOU should do a little research before making statements like this one. It took a LONG time before Blade Runner was regarded as "significant." Take one look at reviews and box office take...nevermind public opinion of this film when it first came out and you will see what people thought of it. Please don't assume to know anyone's age due to posting style.
Old 05-30-03, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I am not assuming anything....I KNOW that when BLADE RUNNER came out there was no other movie like it. The style was definitely different. I am well aware of the fact that its "cult" status was achieved much later.

The advanced look this film had at the time, as I said earlier, is something other films are STILL trying to copy. Blade Runner does not look "outdated" at all.

Furthermore....boxoffice results are not something that I need to look at to determine whether or not a film is significant.

Most recent example: Russian Ark did not make a huge box office impact. However its "significance" is now well known.

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 05-30-03 at 12:25 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.