Search

X-FILES SEASON 6 Question???

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-FILES SEASON 6 Question???

Some time ago I thought I read a post concerning a defective disc
in the X-FILES SEASON 6 collection. Does anyone remember what the actual problem was and if so the mailing info for sending it back for a replacement. I only ask as I managed to pick up "Season 6" used for $65.00 and may have to replace that disc if it is indeed defective. Thanks.
Old 05-28-03, 06:39 PM

Original news:
Season 6 featured the episode Triangle in an inferior quality transfer) will be able to get a new remastered version of that specific disc from the set. All you have to do is call 1-888-223-2FOX (or 1-888-223-2369) to arrange a replacement.

Latest news:
15Apr2003 DVDTalk reports Chris Carter saying the episode was experimental and was supposed to be dark and grainy, so no replacement disc will be issued.
Old 05-28-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

digitalmanAZ, thanks for your input.
Old 05-28-03, 07:13 PM

You're welcome.

I tried to find it in the DVDTalk archives but no luck. Also saw it reported at http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa71.html , scroll down to April 15th and 17th.
Old 05-28-03, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IF you don't want to search
Speaking of Fox, we've confirmed that the studio will NOT be replacing the disc from The X-Files: The Complete Sixth Season which contained the episode Triangle (thought to be defective in terms of its poorer video quality). Apparently, series creator Chris Carter wanted the quality to be lousy. Here's the official statement from Fox and Ten Thirteen:

"Please note Ten Thirteen's response to Consumer complaints about the quality of episode 6X03 TRIANGLE:

6X03 TRIANGLE was an experimental episode in which Creator Chris Carter shot in low light (sometimes only 1 candle power in a given frame). Each of the five acts were shot as one continuous take. Because of the low light, the image appears grainy and is hard to see at times. Also note that the aspect ratio varies for each of the five acts. This was intentional.

Both Fox and Ten Thirteen feel that this episode has been released in the best quality possible for the DVD format and that the image you are seeing is intentional."

Frankly, I'm as surprised as the rest of you. This looks to me like a problem with the video master, because not only is the filmed footage of poor quality, even the episode titles look like crap compared to those on the rest of the set. It's much softer looking, almost like it was transferred from an analog source tape. But hey... I guess if Chris says that's the way it's supposed to be, there's not much to be done for it. Very disappointing nonetheless.