Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Questions RE: Salo

Old 05-26-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, I have obtained a copy of Salo: CC dvd... the version with 9 chapters. For you seasoned dvd veterans and Criterion afficianados, I would like to know how much you believe it is worth. It DOES have the chapter insert.

Secondly, about the dvd being OOP. I thought that when dvds go OOP it's because the studio lost the rights to a different studio and that studio puts out a new version of the dvd...or...the studio stops printing it to re-release it in better form. Of coarse the exceptions are Disney ('nuf said) and MGM (Bond movies) where thet're all about the $$$. Anyway, my point is, this doesn't seem to be the case with Salo. Am I wrong? What gives? Why is Salo not on dvd anywhere??

Thanks to all who reply

Last edited by SMART-ASS; 05-26-03 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-26-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Salo is available on a BFI release in R2 currently. As for Criterion stopping production of Salo I think there was some protest over it if I recall correctly and that's why they stopped printing it.
Old 05-26-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sometimes a movie (or CD, or book or anything) goes "OOP" because the people producing it don't believe that an additional run of the item will be profitable. Simple as that.
Old 05-26-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Questions RE: Salo

Originally posted by SMART-ASS
First of all, I have obtained a copy of Salo: CC dvd... the version with 9 chapters. For you seasoned dvd veterans and Criterion afficianados, I would like to know how much you believe it is worth. It DOES have the chapter insert.

I have a Facets, 9 chapter copy, that was supposedly bought from the Facets store the day they became available again. All 9 chapter versions are fakes. A collector may pay a little more for the fake version b/c many still believe it was a Criterion "Test Printing", though I still doubt it. Just look on Ebay to see what they are going for.

I have been waiting for a real version to pop on Ebay, with the warning sticker, but they have been becoming more scarce as of late.
Old 05-26-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I heard that Pasolini's estate did not wish for the DVD to be in print any longer. Why, I do not know.
Old 05-26-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by evitagen
I heard that Pasolini's estate did not wish for the DVD to be in print any longer. Why, I do not know.
This is also what I have heard, that his estate now holds the right to it and they wanted to the DVDs pulled and not made anymore. That they own the rights to them now and will not rerelease it ever
Old 05-26-03, 05:36 PM
X
Administrator

Received 148 Likes on 119 Posts
Looks like one was sold by a high/good feedback seller a few days ago on ebay for $152.50. That's about 1/2 of what the authentic 29 chapter version goes for and way more than I'd think it was worth.

Another one, sealed, went for $76.60 a few weeks ago. That's closer to what I understand the 9 chapter "test" version to generally sell for.

I believe hardcore Criterion collectors will generally want only the 29 chapter version.
Old 05-26-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by REL77
This is also what I have heard, that his estate now holds the right to it and they wanted to the DVDs pulled and not made anymore. That they own the rights to them now and will not rerelease it ever
Does this mean we can count out a possible re-release of The Gospel According to St. Matthew? THis was such a great film, and it's one that I feel needs to be re-released (mainly b/c I want a copy for myself)
Old 05-27-03, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"I heard that Pasolini's estate did not wish for the DVD to be in print any longer. Why, I do not know."

They must have changed their mind then because the R2 version of Salo was released long after the Criterion Collection version went out of print.
Old 05-27-03, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by namlook
"I heard that Pasolini's estate did not wish for the DVD to be in print any longer. Why, I do not know."

They must have changed their mind then because the R2 version of Salo was released long after the Criterion Collection version went out of print.
It is possible that his estate controls liscencing in North America but not in Europe. I have no idea if this is true, but it is a possibility if the whole estate rumor is true.
Old 05-27-03, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The French release is great. Too bad it doesn't have English subs. Perhaps Criterion could try to re-release it. Since the advent of DVD and eBay and after the whole OOP debacle, I'm sure the popularity of the film (or at least people'd awareness of it) has increased exponentially.
Old 05-27-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The UK version has English subs and is R0 not R2. It even has about 13s of extra footage not in the R1 version. Regardless, itís a bad movie (and I mean bad not as in the theme as in just bad).