DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   "Right Stuff" Special Edition question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/294604-right-stuff-special-edition-question.html)

Giles 05-25-03 12:01 AM

"Right Stuff" Special Edition question

In the most recent issue of Entertainment Weekly, there is an add for the new special edition of "The Right Stuff" and they mention that "fifteen minutes of never before seen footage": is this in a deleted footage section of the supplements or actually re-intergrated into the film for this edition (as Warner's has done for Costner's "Robin Hood")?

movielib 05-25-03 01:12 AM

Several sites I checked gave a run time of 193 minutes for both the old DVD and the new one so it must not be re-integrated into the film.

shanester 05-25-03 06:11 PM

Believe it or not I never saw this film??..The new SE coming out looks pretty packed..Is this a good blind buy??..

I'm not really into "space program" type movies but I did like Apollo 13. How does this compare??

Cheers!

Commander Dan 05-25-03 07:41 PM

Originally posted by shanester
I'm not really into "space program" type movies but I did like Apollo 13. How does this compare??
Funny you ask that. A few years back I let a friend borrow and watch Apollo 13. She said that she really liked it, so I then lent her The Right Stuff. When she returned it, I asked her what she thought, and in her own words, she said it “blew Apollo 13 away!”

All that being said, The Right Stuff is not as special effects laden as Apollo 13, but it is still a great movie nonetheless!

funstan 05-25-03 08:02 PM

The Right Stuff is one of the best movies of all time. Rolling Stone gave it the 3 best movie of the 80's behind Raging Bull & Blue Velvet. Good blind buy.

mwj 05-25-03 08:29 PM

Are there any reviews up for this yet?

Jason Bovberg 05-25-03 09:07 PM

Working on one as we speak...should have it up in the Reviews section in a day or two...

SCHMEGGA 05-25-03 09:40 PM

Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
Working on one as we speak...should have it up in the Reviews section in a day or two...
By looking at my collection you would think surely I would have seen this. NOPE! I await your review.

jough 05-27-03 08:13 PM

Apollo 13 was just *okay*.

The Right Stuff has THE RIGHT STUFF. It's excellent - a classic.

You must buy this.

-- Jough

evanmd 05-27-03 09:29 PM

Is this going to have any commentaries?

TomOpus 05-27-03 09:44 PM

Originally posted by evanmd
Is this going to have any commentaries?
How's this for a commentary track:

Scene Specific Commentary:
Director Philip Kaufman
Producers Irwin Winkler, Robert Chartoff
Cinematographer Caleb Deschanel
Actors: Jeff Goldblum, Veronica Cartwright, Scott Glenn, Ed Harris, Dennis Quaid, and Barbara Hershey

spankasmurf 05-28-03 08:51 PM

Jeff Goldblum?? What character did he play?

TomOpus 05-28-03 08:58 PM

He was one of the NASA peeps... he kept running into meetings to announce news. He would get the standard reply "yeah, we know already".

Or something to the effect. :)

mdc3000 05-28-03 09:06 PM

I can not wait for this disc...man, june 10 is an EXPENSIVE date... damn!

MATT

Jason Bovberg 06-02-03 10:58 AM

As promised...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=6489

Spooky 06-02-03 11:20 AM

Originally posted by jough
Apollo 13 was just *okay*.

The Right Stuff has THE RIGHT STUFF. It's excellent - a classic.

You must buy this.

-- Jough

This is odd, because I feel almost the exact opposite. My biggest problem with THE RIGHT STUFF is that many of the characters are presented as PARODIES of the actual people they are, rather than presented in a more realistic manner. That being said, I enjoyed both films, but believe that Apollo 13 is the excellent one, and The Right Stuff is good, but not "great".

Turd Ferguson 06-02-03 11:42 AM

I've heard Gus Grissom's son hates the movie for making his dad look like an idiot.

rennervision 06-02-03 11:43 AM

I wonder if this one is a flipper like the last time it was on DVD?

Jason Bovberg 06-02-03 11:45 AM

Originally posted by rennervision
I wonder if this one is a flipper like the last time it was on DVD?
It ain't a flipper. Single-sided dual-layer.

rennervision 06-02-03 12:09 PM

Thanks! Now I'm ready to get it on June 10th.

Decker 06-02-03 01:32 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
How's this for a commentary track:

Scene Specific Commentary:
Director Philip Kaufman
Producers Irwin Winkler, Robert Chartoff
Cinematographer Caleb Deschanel
Actors: Jeff Goldblum, Veronica Cartwright, Scott Glenn, Ed Harris, Dennis Quaid, and Barbara Hershey

That is deceptive, though. The two commentary tracks run a total of 25 minutes. Big whoop. You think that while producing a major special edition of his greatest film, they could have at least gotten Phillip Kaufman to sit down and record a full track. He certainly doesn't seem to be that busy to me.

Rascal 06-03-03 09:27 AM

I was assuming the commentary wouldn't fit on one disc. Otherwise, yes, I'm disappointed about the short commentary as well. I also wish the actors did the commentary together, instead of separatly.

Rypro 525 06-03-03 09:32 AM

This commentary style is similar to the true romance commentaries that the actors give on disc 2 about their scene. (many of the big names in the movie had one or two scenes)

movielib 06-03-03 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Spooky
This is odd, because I feel almost the exact opposite. My biggest problem with THE RIGHT STUFF is that many of the characters are presented as PARODIES of the actual people they are, rather than presented in a more realistic manner. That being said, I enjoyed both films, but believe that Apollo 13 is the excellent one, and The Right Stuff is good, but not "great".
Yes, I agree there's some of this. I especially disliked the portrayal of LBJ as a buffoon. Although I am no fan of LBJ I know he was not stupid.

But the thing I really dislike is the
Spoiler:
silly stunt Kaufman pulled with the "fireflies" on the John Glenn flight. He made it look like NASA couldn't explain it. In fact, they were quite sure of what it was and they were proved right on the very next flight by Scott Carpenter. Then the silliness was compounded by the intercutting between the aborigines' fire with its cinders flying upward and the "fireflies." I know we were not supposed to believe there was a physical connection but what Kaufman seemed to be going for was a phony mystical symbolic connection while in reality there was no mystery at all.

The fact that the whole thing is explained in Tom Wolfe's book upon which the movie was based serves to make Kaufman's rendition of it appear totally dishonest.

Here is the explanation of the "fireflies":

Spoiler:

As for the big picture, aside from any genuine perplexity about the phenomenon at the time it occurred, NASA very quickly realized that the dots were ice particles coming from the spacecraft's water spray boiler, which discarded waste heat from the avionics (the space shuttle has a similar unit, called 'Flash Evaporator', mounted at the base of the tail). Carpenter himself confirmed this a few months later when on his flight he was able to create swarms of 'fireflies' by banging on the side of his capsule, where the water spray boiler was located. The observed motion of the particles, falling below and pulling ahead of the spacecraft, was exactly what is expected from high-drag low-mass ice crystals. Today there is absolutely no basis in reality to honestly portray the phenomenon as in any way mysterious. ( http://seti.sentry.net/archive/bioastro/2000/0066.html )

Still. other than that wrong stuff, the rest of the film is quite great.

Feathers McGraw 06-04-03 03:20 AM

Man, you guys are turning one of my most anticipated dvd buys into a probable pass.

I'm really disappointed with that commentary.