Community
Search

Bad news for Law & Order fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-03, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Bad news for Law & Order fans

It looks like they are shelving the season sets and going with Best-of sets acc'd to dvdfile.com:

Attention Law & Order fans, Universal Studios Home Video has announced two new 2-disc collections of the phenomenally successful show that seems to inspire a new spin-off every week. Law & Order: Organized & Unsolved Crimes and Law & Order: Badge of Dishonor will hit streets on August 26th, with each episode presented in 4:3 full screen and Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo. Which episodes will be on which set have not yet been announced, but stay tuned. Retail is $29.95 a pop.

This really pisses me off. I had little interest in the first 4 seasons (just rely on TNT re-runs) but I was definitely planning on buying Seasons 5 through 11.
Old 05-22-03, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree completely.

Although I don't agree with your sig line
Old 05-22-03, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I heard that these 2 releases were for the spin-offs SVU & CI & that the second season of the original would be out in the fall
Old 05-22-03, 12:55 PM

Does this mean that there will be no more seasons of Law and Order? I hope that is not the case and that JJE-187 is right. I still haven't picked up season 1, but it is one of my favorite shows and I was waiting to see if they would continue to release seasons before I invested in season 1.
Old 05-22-03, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by JJE-187
I heard that these 2 releases were for the spin-offs SVU & CI & that the second season of the original would be out in the fall
My understanding (and, again, there isn't a ton of info at this point) is that Universal is releasing:

* the pilot episodes for the 2 spinoff shows in June
* these 2-disc 'best of' collections of the original show in August
* the full 2nd season of the original show in the fall.
Old 05-22-03, 01:13 PM

I own the first season, and if the next 10 seasons hit the street tomorrow, I'm there to buy 'em. I will NOT, however, buy a non-season set. Simply not going to happen, my friend.
Old 05-22-03, 01:48 PM

Originally posted by jedidiah
I own the first season, and if the next 10 seasons hit the street tomorrow, I'm there to buy 'em. I will NOT, however, buy a non-season set. Simply not going to happen, my friend.
I agree. The only non-season set I own is of Jackass and Insomniac and those will not likely be released in season sets. And if they are, I will have no problem buying the seasons.
Old 05-22-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I have the fist season as well and would get all of them. This sucks.
Old 05-22-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree they shouldn't commit to season sets if they're are going to stop after the first year..

Look at MTM i'm still upset about that
Old 05-23-03, 02:00 AM

Meanwhile other studios are releasing there shows like every 5-6 months.
Old 05-23-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
As much as I love L&O (And season sets) I won't be buying them. That's just way too many seasons and way too much $$$. I do hope that if they do a handful of "best of" sets in addition to the season sets that they release a Homicide crossover set. L&O and Homicide had a handful of crossover episodes and with Homicide being released it makes perfect sense.

If they continue with the season sets they need to pick up the pace a bit. L&O has been on forever, it's not like they're going to catch up with the current season anytime soon.
Old 05-23-03, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Someone in the TNT Law & Order forum e-mailed Universal about future season sets and Universal said that there were no plans to release future season sets.
Old 05-23-03, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The thing about season sets is that studios release them in chronological order and in some cases the early seasons are not the best of a series. For example I have no interest in getting the first season of the recently released Cheers set but if it doesn't sell well then odds are Paramount would change to a "best of" format just like Universal did with L&O. Sometimes I wish a studio would go against the grain and release a middle season of a series first because it was the best creatively.
Old 05-23-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a little disappointed by this news, but I do think its a little "out of the ordinary" to consider $55 a lot of money when it comes to season sets. Lets see L & O just completed their 13th season. Thats $715 for all 13 sets, while ST (minus the Original Series) runs $700 for STNG, and similar throughout. So for $15 more you get 132 more episodes (thats with the standard 22 episode season).

Yes I own the first season, while its not the best, for $55 its a great way to use the Target Gift Cards one gets for "driving" Saturns.
Old 05-23-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Dubya
The thing about season sets is that studios release them in chronological order and in some cases the early seasons are not the best of a series. For example I have no interest in getting the first season of the recently released Cheers set but if it doesn't sell well then odds are Paramount would change to a "best of" format just like Universal did with L&O. Sometimes I wish a studio would go against the grain and release a middle season of a series first because it was the best creatively.

That would have actually made good sense for Law & Order since more people are familiar with the McCoy and Briscoe Law & Order. They should have started with Season 5.

The price of a L&O set certainly is not a barrier to entry for me. You are basically talking about $2.50 per episode - that's pretty good.
Old 05-23-03, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Red Dog
That would have actually made good sense for Law & Order since more people are familiar with the McCoy and Briscoe Law & Order. They should have started with Season 5.

Yeah I got hooked during Bratt's first season which was my favorite (the episode with "Mr. Wicketts" the horse is the best episode ever IMO).
Old 05-23-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Dubya
Yeah I got hooked during Bratt's first season which was my favorite (the episode with "Mr. Wicketts" the horse is the best episode ever IMO).

That (S6) was the first full season I watched. I started watching it regularly mid-way through S5.
Old 05-23-03, 12:34 PM

Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinioin, but I am shocked at the number of people who have stated they didn't like the 1st few seasons.

I have every episode of all three shows on tape and was in heaven when they released Season 1 on DVD.

Season 1 was in my opinion the best of the series. Benjamin Bratt began the steady decay of the series. Don't get me wrong, it is still one of the best on television but to me the essence of the series was captured in Seasons 1-5.

Anyway, I will buy the "best ofs" but just hope that Season 2 comes out in the Fall.

Dubya, no offense, but I would totally be opposed to any TV series that was released in the middle. The "best creatively" standard is the most subjective standard I could ever think of. How would one determine what the best season was ?
Old 05-23-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by MKSilv
Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinioin, but I am shocked at the number of people who have stated they didn't like the 1st few seasons.

It is not that I don't like the early seasons. I like watching the older re-runs on TNT and that is sufficient for me. I just don't love them enough to own them. If I am going to buy TV series on DVD, I have to love what I am buying.

As for Best-ofs, I guess it depends on the grouping of episodes and how many are on each one.

To me, the decay slowly started after Carey Lowell left, picked up speed after Steven Hill left and is now in a free-fall since Elisabeth Rohm came on board.
Old 05-23-03, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MKSilv

Dubya, no offense, but I would totally be opposed to any TV series that was released in the middle. The "best creatively" standard is the most subjective standard I could ever think of. How would one determine what the best season was ?
No offense taken, and yes the best creatively standard is subjective but in some cases it is common knowledge that a shows best years are not its first season (Seinfeld for example). I'm just disappointed that studios have released some first season sets like L&O and MTM and because of slow sales they will not release anymore complete season sets.
Old 06-09-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk God

An update...sort of...

From http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news.cfm

Easy Come, Easy Go
6/05/2003

We titled our very recent (5/20) news item "Disappointing news for Law & Order fans...", where we noted that Universal was releasing more DVDs, but "not the season sets that are clearly desired by the majority of fans".

In a move that may or may not be good news, Universal has quickly changed their minds about this release. An update from them today states:

"Law & Order: The Collections has been removed from our schedule. Effective 6/05/2003"

We're not sure yet what this means in the long run. Does it just mean a delay? Does it mean Universal is listening to the demand and switching to a Season 2 release? Does it mean that there was simply some unrelated problem with the releases, like a rights issue for instance, and had to cancel no matter what? Does it mean Universal is mad, so they're taking their ball and going home?

It's frankly too early to tell, and so we'll keep our police scanner tuned in and pass out an A.P.B. just as soon as the perp is sighted...