Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Time-Travelling STAR TREK: NEMESIS DVD Cover???

Old 05-20-03, 04:40 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any other uber Trekkies (Trekkers, whaddevah) notice that, while the main cover of the STAR TREK: NEMESIS DVD rightly features the standard movie poster image [the one that looks like Shinzon let out the mother of all eggy farts], the picture of Picard featured on the spine, insert, and silk-screened DVD surface is obviously from the television series some 10-odd years ago??? Note the tunic he wears. I was like, WTF?! Can it really be so hard for Paramount to even just pretend to grasp this series' fan base, and our love for and attention to its finer details? Those of you inclined to post something glib and snide like, "With children dying in Africa, this is worthy of concern?", spare me--I realize this ranks #9,853,667 on the list of things Americans should be concerned about, but jeez, I'm just trying to get a sense of how STAR TREK went from being Paramount's prized cash cow to some kind of afterthought with such relative ease...
Old 05-20-03, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you actually think Paramount cares about its Trek fans? You're the fool
Old 05-20-03, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Star Trek has never been known for its continuity or consistency. I think the cover as you described it fits very well for the show.
Old 05-20-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What I like is how the BB version which comes with the bonus CD has a replacement backing to show that which you can slip in the case. I am sure the CD isnt anything exciting but I have to give them credit for a full page insert of the back which includes the CD-rom.
Old 05-20-03, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wonder if Paramount's marketing department does these things just to see how annoyed fans will get. I know that I would if I worked there...

DJ
Old 05-20-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by djtoell
I wonder if Paramount's marketing department does these things just to see how annoyed fans will get. I know that I would if I worked there...

... that'd be great. Start accidentally referring to it as the "Star Wars" franchise in press releases and stuff.
Old 05-20-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bboisvert

... that'd be great. Start accidentally referring to it as the "Star Wars" franchise in press releases and stuff.
Or as Star "TRACK."
Old 05-20-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Then start saying how everyone loved Voyager! That is was the "Best Trek Ever!" and they will get all the movies now

Heh, I left being a trekkie when DS9 ended, and I'm NOT going back. It'll be dead for a long time yet.
Old 05-20-03, 06:15 PM

The slip-up of using a TV-era shot on the movie DVD is inexcusable. It does, however, show how much better those TV uniforms were compared with the movie-era (and Voyager-era) bland uniforms.
Old 05-20-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's it, I am returning my copy and complaining!

Edit: The bonus CD sucks, you cant play it in a cd-rom or dvd-rom, it just flips around or vibrates once you get it in the center tray holder. It looks like it is more designed for laptop cd-roms or something.

Last edited by Rammsteinfan; 05-20-03 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-20-03, 09:19 PM

Re: Time-Travelling STAR TREK: NEMESIS DVD Cover???

Originally posted by Filmmaker
I'm just trying to get a sense of how STAR TREK went from being Paramount's prized cash cow to some kind of afterthought with such relative ease...

I'm sorry. I don't mean to offend any Trek fans out there but I'll tell ya how. By releasing drek like "Nemesis". That's how. Face it. The Star Trek well dried up a long time ago.
Old 05-21-03, 12:56 AM

Re: Re: Time-Travelling STAR TREK: NEMESIS DVD Cover???

Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
I'm sorry. I don't mean to offend any Trek fans out there but I'll tell ya how. By releasing drek like "Nemesis". That's how. Face it. The Star Trek well dried up a long time ago.
No kidding. There has been such a saturation of Star Trek, originality has gone out the window. What with FOUR television series running back to back to back to back, and all of those series (except Enterprise) running in syndication, not to mention the Next Gen films, I'm thinking people are just tired of it all. How many times can you have a story with the Borg, or time travel, or Data's emotions. It seems almost as if every episode of every trek series is just like some other episode of some other trek series. I really love Star Trek, but I think it's time to just give it a rest for a few (many?) years......maybe bring Star Trek back when there are some GOOD original ideas, not just, "we better crank out something else Star Trek, just for the sake of Star Trek." Blah!
Old 05-21-03, 09:55 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Originally posted by pants:
Do you actually think Paramount cares about its Trek fans? You're the fool

Actually, there was a time when it did, very much so, and I would wager it was because Gene Roddenberry forced them to never lose sight of our critical value to the continued health of the franchise. After he died and left the "kingdom" to Berman, the downturn began, but it wasn't immediate. TNG's last four seasons were done without Roddenberry's presence, and they provided the majority of the show's best work. Then came DS9, which I understand is a polarizing show for fans but, for my money, actually topped TNG in terms of character development, emotional impact and depth in storytelling. It seemed that literally with the first episode of VOYAGER that somehow, someway, Berman began to very rapidly loss all coherent grasp of what makes STAR TREK not only enjoyable, but valuable to its fans. We all know this, of course, and most of us bitch about it often, but the truly astounding part to me is why isn't anyone else catching this? Why doesn't Michael Piller, or Ira Steven Behr or, even more importantly, Paramount exec Sherry Lansing put Berman's "accomplishments" to the challenge? My question isn't why is Berman screwing the fans, and letting the best concept in television history wither, but why is anyone and everyone with some measure of power to prevent it not doing so?

Originally posted by C Roberts:
Star Trek has never been known for its continuity or consistency.

Actually, for a show that has seen eight incarnations (including animated episodes and movies) in just under 40 years, with multiple writers and creative staff, I think STAR TREK has shown a most extraordinary level of internal continuity and consistency (unless you mean the word consistency in terms of story quality, which I might agree with, but that has nothing to do with the DVD cover complaint).

I think the cover as you described it fits very well for the show.

It's a cover specifically for NEMESIS utilizing a photo from at least ten years prior--care to explain how that fits well? Should I grab a few beers first?

Originally posted by calhoun7:
Or as Star "TRACK."

LOL...staff the department with women, since this is how every non-fan female I've ever encountered insists on referring to the show...

Originally posted by Rammsteinfan:
That's it, I am returning my copy and complaining!

It's okay, Rammsteinfan, some people just aren't all that good at reading comprehension...maybe math or science might be your thing...

Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins:

That's no answer--you're describing the symptoms of the TREK quality degrade, not providing insight into the inherent cause.

Originally posted by Intimidator:
There has been such a saturation of Star Trek, originality has gone out the window. What with FOUR television series running back to back to back to back, and all of those series (except Enterprise) running in syndication, not to mention the Next Gen films, I'm thinking people are just tired of it all. How many times can you have a story with the Borg, or time travel, or Data's emotions. It seems almost as if every episode of every trek series is just like some other episode of some other trek series. I really love Star Trek, but I think it's time to just give it a rest for a few (many?) years......maybe bring Star Trek back when there are some GOOD original ideas, not just, "we better crank out something else Star Trek, just for the sake of Star Trek." Blah!

Word to your mutha! These words could have been pulled from my very lips in countless discussions I've had with my TREK-fan friends over the past few years and I think those words should be bronzed, if I say so myself. It isn't special if it's always available. It's like STAR TREK used to be this hot chick we dated, but now we're married to it, and everywhere we turn, there it is. There's no break, no off-time, no time for the "wife" to re-energize "herself", no time for us to miss the joy we felt when "she" was around. We need to get divorced from STAR TREK and, after a ten-year break or so, meet up again and see if she'd like to go out sometime...you know, just to reminisce over old times or whatever comes up... (goofy analogy, I know, but I see truth in it)
Old 05-21-03, 10:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm a Star Trek fan but I found the following very funny :

10 Things I hate about Star Trek
Old 05-21-03, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,601 Likes on 1,808 Posts
Originally posted by DrOBoogie1
The slip-up of using a TV-era shot on the movie DVD is inexcusable. It does, however, show how much better those TV uniforms were compared with the movie-era (and Voyager-era) bland uniforms.
I doubt it was a mistake. They probably wanted to use a picture of a younger Patrick Stewart on the cover.