Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

questions of akira kurosawa criterion collection

Old 05-20-03, 01:34 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the set any good? is the set basically a bundle of the individual criterion discs? and is there a site to see what's on the discs?
Old 05-20-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bundle of the existing discs.

www.criterionco.com
Old 05-20-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If you don't have any of the titles, the set is definitely worth it. However, there is a re-release of Seven Samurai in the works.
Old 05-20-03, 03:27 AM

Originally posted by D-Ball
However, there is a re-release of Seven Samurai in the works.
Really?
Old 05-20-03, 07:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by D-Ball
If you don't have any of the titles, the set is definitely worth it. However, there is a re-release of Seven Samurai in the works.
tsk, tsk, you know better than to be spreading rumors. Look under #3:

http://pub125.ezboard.com/fcriterion...icID=118.topic

I would love to see it myself, but personally, would prefer they get a better transfer/remaster of Yojimbo.
Old 05-20-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With regard to the Criterion re-release of 'Seven Samurai' a paragraph from this article would suggest it is merely more than just rumours.

www.cgj.org/en/c/vol_10-4/title_01.html

'This Spring,Criterion commissioned me to re-subtitle seven of Kurosawa Akira's classics:Seven Samurai,Ikiru,Throne Of Blood,Stray Dog..........'

Last edited by RichDB10; 05-20-03 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-20-03, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by RichDB10
With regard to the Criterion re-release of 'Seven Samurai' a paragraph from this article would suggest it is merely more than just rumours.

www.cgj.org/en/c/vol_10-4/title_01.html

'This Spring,Criterion commissioned me to re-subtitle seven of Kurosawa Akira's classics:Seven Samurai,Ikiru,Throne Of Blood,Stray Dog..........'
Until Criterion comes out and says that they're working on a re-release of Seven Samurai, then it is just a rumour. They may have commissioned a new script, but that doesn't mean that they're going to go ahead and use it.
Old 05-20-03, 10:50 AM

The re-release wouldnt be until probably late 4th quarter anyways...they'd release Stray Dog, Ikiru, etc. beforehand.
Old 05-20-03, 10:54 AM

The boxed set is a great deal, if you don't already have the discs (all of which were previously released). I bought them all separately and found them well worth THAT price!

All the movies are excellent and the DVDs are mostly very good. The transfer of YOJIMBO is a little rough in spots, but it was by far the best available at the time. (And may still be the best -- I haven't seen the BFI R2 transfer yet.)
Old 05-20-03, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by codecomplete
Until Criterion comes out and says that they're working on a re-release of Seven Samurai, then it is just a rumour. They may have commissioned a new script, but that doesn't mean that they're going to go ahead and use it.
Yes...but why commission a new subtitled script in the first place if they aren't intent on re-releasing it?!.....i agree though that at this stage it is of course just a rumour until an 'official' announcement is made.
Old 05-20-03, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The whole "rumor" of the re-release has been the reason that I have yet to buy any of these. I am hoping that they will. I would really like to have them at some time. These are not way up there on my want list though, so I am more than willing to wait at this time.
Old 05-20-03, 02:02 PM
Banned

I own all four titles and the box set is a definate DO NOT BUY!!!

The Seven Samurai rereleas is inevitable. They commisioned new subs and made new 35mm prints which look far better than the DVD, and toured them around the country last winter.

Yojimbo looks like utter crap. It's a port of the old Criterion Laserdisc. It's not anamorphic. It's not framed right. The credits are in English because they used an export print. The subs suck. It has ZERO special features. It is one of Criterions worst, and I wish I didn't own it.

Sanjuro. Well at least it has a trailer. Beter transfer and subs than Yojimbo but also not anamorphic

Hidden Fortress: A must buy!

Skip the box set and just buy Sanjuro and Fortress. Wait for the others.
Old 05-20-03, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Pants
I own all four titles and the box set is a definate DO NOT BUY!!!

The Seven Samurai rereleas is inevitable. They commisioned new subs and made new 35mm prints which look far better than the DVD, and toured them around the country last winter.

Yojimbo looks like utter crap. It's a port of the old Criterion Laserdisc. It's not anamorphic. It's not framed right. The credits are in English because they used an export print. The subs suck. It has ZERO special features. It is one of Criterions worst, and I wish I didn't own it.
Of course, they're still among the best movies by one of the preeminent directors in the history of the film. That is, if you're looking for really good movies, moreso than really good DVDs, then it's a good buy.

Last edited by TheHistorian; 05-21-03 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-20-03, 05:14 PM

Yes...but why commission a new subtitled script in the first place if they aren't intent on re-releasing it?!.....i agree though that at this stage it is of course just a rumour until an 'official' announcement is made.
They may have the intent, but that doesn't mean it's going to happen. They may want to do a re-release, but market conditions may dictate otherwise. I'm not saying that it won't happen or that they're not working on it but let's not be hasty until they say it's coming out. Believe me, I would like to have this be true as much as anyone, but maybe it's just me, but I would rather be talking about what's here, what's coming, instead of pointless speculations, although that can be fun in itself if you don't take it too seriously.
Old 05-20-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes...but why commission a new subtitled script in the first place if they aren't intent on re-releasing it?!
The purpose of the new subtitles was for use on the new 35mm prints that toured the country.

DJ
Old 05-20-03, 05:27 PM

I agree with smrubin- these are great movies offered at a decent price. I have been very satisfied with the dvds and don't regret owning them.
Old 05-20-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by djtoell
The purpose of the new subtitles was for use on the new 35mm prints that toured the country.

DJ
I'm about to eat a piece of 'humble pie'...i admit a lot of it was wishful thinking on my part and upon closer reading of the article that i linked in the first place it does say the purpose was for a 'traveling retrospective of Kurosawa films....'
Old 05-20-03, 05:48 PM
Banned

Yes, but that retrospective was distributed by Cowboy Films. Cowboy is affiliated with Criterion. This is the same as the Beauty and the Beast touring retrospective that played select cities shortly before the DVD re-release.
Old 05-20-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I only own The Hidden Fortress, but I've been wary of package deals and price drops lately. They almost always precede bigger and better DVD versions on the horizon, especially with the "new" version of Seven Samurai in existance. I can wait.
Old 05-20-03, 10:37 PM

I'm about to eat a piece of 'humble pie'...i admit a lot of it was wishful thinking on my part and upon closer reading of the article that i linked in the first place it does say the purpose was for a 'traveling retrospective of Kurosawa films....'
No need to. Criterion is pretty tight-lipped about their releases and plans so it's understandable that any related info is going to spark a lot of interests.
Old 05-21-03, 03:05 AM

There is absolutely no question in my mind that Criterion will be re-releasing Seven Samurai with new subtitles. But this will follow the theatrical distribution by 6-9 months (if their past track record is any guide), so it may be 1-2 years away. For art-house fare like this, the money won't be made at the boxoffice, but through DVD sales. Criterion would not have commissioned Linda Hoagland to write new subtitles for theatrical distribution alone (which might not even recoup the investment).

Kurosawa films in general--and Seven Samurai in particular--are prized properties for Criterion. They don't release sales figures, but I would suspect Seven Samurai is one of their biggest sellers, because it attracts not only the arthouse crowd, but also a lot of younger fans (especially young men). The current version (spine #2) would benefit from better film elements/restoration/transfer to reach the standards set by Rashomon, Red Beard, and the upcoming Throne of Blood, and there are many of us who would gladly upgrade. I would expect a deluxe 2-disc edition when the time comes.

My advice is, unless you're prepared to wait a year or more (and probably two), buy the current version and enjoy it. If you really love the film, and the exquisite care Criterion is likely to lavish upon it, you won't resent double-dipping later.
Old 05-21-03, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FilmFanSea
There is absolutely no question in my mind that Criterion will be re-releasing Seven Samurai with new subtitles. But this will follow the theatrical distribution by 6-9 months (if their past track record is any guide), so it may be 1-2 years away. For art-house fare like this, the money won't be made at the boxoffice, but through DVD sales. Criterion would not have commissioned Linda Hoagland to write new subtitles for theatrical distribution alone (which might not even recoup the investment).

Kurosawa films in general--and Seven Samurai in particular--are prized properties for Criterion. They don't release sales figures, but I would suspect Seven Samurai is one of their biggest sellers, because it attracts not only the arthouse crowd, but also a lot of younger fans (especially young men). The current version (spine #2) would benefit from better film elements/restoration/transfer to reach the standards set by Rashomon, Red Beard, and the upcoming Throne of Blood, and there are many of us who would gladly upgrade. I would expect a deluxe 2-disc edition when the time comes.

My advice is, unless you're prepared to wait a year or more (and probably two), buy the current version and enjoy it. If you really love the film, and the exquisite care Criterion is likely to lavish upon it, you won't resent double-dipping later.
How can you say "absolutely no question" regarding this film? Lets face facts. Kurosawa is not a household name. I love his work, he's one of my favorite filmmakers infact. And I saw the traveling retrospective, and I checked out all the Samurai movies as well as Redbeard and High and Low. The subtitles are a definite improvement, but in the case of the Seven Samurai, it's hardly a slam-dunk re-buy for me. And I consider myself a fairly fevered Kurosawa fan. But I already dropped 35 bucks on this disc, which is more than adequate, I"m not going to double dip for another 35 bucks to get the same movie again. Nor do I think I"m alone in that view. Unfortunately, I can't even sell it for a decent price used because of the influx with the new Samurai boxset. And the possibility exists many fans will be dissapointed with the new subtitles, as there are many anachroistic subtitles included, including modern swear words like ***** and *****. I could see that being distracting and offputting.

The only things I'd consider rebuying are Sanjuro and Yojimbo, and those are hardly big tickets discs, and I really doubt they'd get rereleased. But there was actual plot elements and storyline that was enchanced by the new titles, and it made each a much better movie in my book. But people aren't exactly breaking down doors to get these movies, and like Seven Samurai, those that want them,probably by and large, own them. At some point, cost has to play a factor, and Criterions aren't cheap. The only way I'd consider it was if they offered a 10-15 buyback for the existing disc as a credit towards the new one. Otherwise, my current discs will have to fill the bill. One man's opinion.
Old 05-21-03, 11:36 AM
Banned

If you don't want to upgrade you don't have to, no one is twisting your arm
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
How can you say "absolutely no question" regarding this film?
He says it because it's true. A rerelease with improved picture and new subtitles WILL happen. If you're so sure it won't, put your money where your mouth is. If it isn't announced in the next two years I buy you the Criterion of your choice ($40 or less) and if it does happen you buy me the new Seven Samurai Criterion. How's that?
Old 05-21-03, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
I bought it, even though Seven Samurai is very likely to get a new release.

I don't expect the other three to get rereleased in the near future (even if Yojimbo needs a better transfer, I don't really expect one, and it's actually my favorite movie in the set).

I figure that the three other movies cost about $60 separately, so I just paid another 5 or so to get Seven Samurai now, and won't feel too bad if I end up upgrading it.
Old 05-21-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright, I give up,why is this film so popular with both arthouse fans and young men? And what is wrong with the subtitiles.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.