DVD rereleases from widescreen to anamorphic??

Old 05-18-03, 10:56 PM

DVD rereleases from widescreen to anamorphic??

I need all the info I can get on any DVD releases that have gone from widescreen to anamorphic. And I don't mean DVDs that have gotten new special edition releases like the new People Vs Larry Flynt. I mean DVDs that have pretty much kept their same covers and features but upgraded to anamorphic. Right now, I've noticed The Thin Red Line and Good Will Hunting(although this title is not anamorphic afterall, I've heard). Does anybody know anymore DVDs that have changed to anamorphic with pretty much the same cover?
Old 05-18-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Is this a life or death situation?

The X-Files movie and The Siege are the titles I can remember off the top of my head.
Old 05-19-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There's Something About Mary SSE (not sure about he cover being the same though)
Old 05-19-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Rocky IV
Old 05-19-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: DVD rereleases from widescreen to anamorphic??

Originally posted by runnersdialzero
I need all the info I can get on any DVD releases that have gone from widescreen to anamorphic. And I don't mean DVDs that have gotten new special edition releases like the new People Vs Larry Flynt. I mean DVDs that have pretty much kept their same covers and features but upgraded to anamorphic. Right now, I've noticed The Thin Red Line and Good Will Hunting(although this title is not anamorphic afterall, I've heard). Does anybody know anymore DVDs that have changed to anamorphic with pretty much the same cover?
Are you sure? Amazon shows the DTS version of Thin Red Line (1999 release) as anamorphic widescreen. Was there an earlier release in widescreen?
Old 05-19-03, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: DVD rereleases from widescreen to anamorphic??

Originally posted by runnersdialzero
The Thin Red Line does not meet your criteria, then, as the re-release added DTS sound in addition to anamorphic enhancement and has a DTS banner on the cover.
Old 05-19-03, 11:25 AM

On The Thin Red Line. the cover is almost exact except for the DTS symbol and the Fox War Classics on the cover. I checked out both boxes. The first release says Widescreen and the DTS release says anamorphic widescreen. They did get rid of the Malaysian songs option on the new anamorphic release however.
Old 05-19-03, 02:42 PM

Try this: http://www.fresnosdvdconnection.com/rcollection.html
Old 05-19-03, 03:34 PM
Banned

For the record the original release of the thin red line (the version with only Dolby Digital) is anamorphic. It is just a typo
Old 05-26-03, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by Mike G
Try this: http://www.fresnosdvdconnection.com/rcollection.html
Thanks for posting that link! I was about to ask somewhere in the forum if there was a list of re-releases. Looking through my collection and was wondering what releases I needed to upgrade in the near future.

Actually...now that I'm looking at the site, I notice it does not mention upcoming releases. ...or at least it was apperant right away. So I guess I will ask my original question:

Is there anywhere on DVD Talk Forum that has a list of current and upcoming DVD re-releases? Somewhere with a sticky? If not, it would be great to compile a list so that anyone could check out what has been re-released and see if it is worth upgrading. If there is something like this already, can someone point me to it? I did a search for "re-releases" but did not find anything like it. Did find this thread though.
Thanks
Old 05-26-03, 06:04 PM

Ok...so I swear i'm not an idiot....
but I opened my eyes and found that there was this:

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....threadid=89464

Which is cool, but I guess I was looking for more information then provided there.

..also...that thread is huge! and such a mess. hehehe

One more thing,...that thread seems to just include upcoming titles. Or am I missing something?

OK....back to viewing movies.

Last edited by NoirTech; 05-26-03 at 06:12 PM.