Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Simpsons Season 3 Street Date Update

Old 05-15-03, 11:46 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, three different retailers have three different street dates for this puppy.

Amazon.com has it set for July 30th.

DDD has it for 8/19.

DVD Empire has it for 8/26, which is what I thought it was pushed back to.

What is the deal with this street date? Who ARE these PEOPLE who push back the street dates?

-- Jough
Old 05-16-03, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think that it's 20th Century Fox who pushes the date back.
Old 05-16-03, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a side note, I saw that South Park Season Two was coming for pre-order... If the SP folks keep it up, they will have Season Three out before the Simpsons do...
Old 05-16-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Late august i believe.... the 26th sounds right. It's a long frigging wait i know. But, Groening needs his commentaries ya know?
Old 05-16-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,270 Likes on 926 Posts
Pre-order from Amazon.... that way you get it the soonest.... right? Right? Ohwell... I tried
Old 05-16-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by littlefuzzy
On a side note, I saw that South Park Season Two was coming for pre-order... If the SP folks keep it up, they will have Season Three out before the Simpsons do...
to be fair though, SP seasons probably don't take as much work as Simpsons ones do.
Old 05-17-03, 01:32 AM

Last time I checked it was August 26, it may have changed.

WHO KNOWS?
Old 05-17-03, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Apparently, Amazon has changed the release date for The Simpsons - The Complete Third Season - it's now July 30th.

Family Guy - Volume 2 and Futurama - Volume 2 are currently not available, and their dates have been changed as well.
Old 05-17-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Promo literature that I received from FOX today still shows a street date of Aug. 26th. Not sure why Amazon is showing it as a whole month earlier.
Old 05-17-03, 06:45 AM
Cool New Member

When Amazon first sent out notification emails, they stated Aug 26th.

Now its changed to July 30th, which makes no sense.
DVDs are released, in general, on Tuesdays. July 30th is a Wed.

I'd say its probably still on for Aug 26th (which is a Tuesday by the way). Maybe 20th Century Fox will get with the 21st century and start releasing their sets in a TIMELY fashion.
Old 05-17-03, 04:01 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Just for the record - the commentaries have been in the can (or on disc, really) for over a YEAR now. It is not Groening or Gracie Films that is holding up the releases - it is rights issues.

Legal crap.

Anyway, hopefully they'll start earlier securing releases and such for season four (whose commentaries have already been recorded) and maybe we'll see it sometime in Q1 2004.

-- Jough
Old 05-17-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Any idea why Family Guy - Volume 2 and Futurama - Volume 2 are now listed as:

"Availability: NOT YET RELEASED: The studio is currently not producing this title on DVD, but to be notified when it is available, enter your e-mail address at right. You'll also be voting for this release; we'll let the studio know how many customers are waiting for this title."
Old 05-17-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kmac2878
Any idea why Family Guy - Volume 2 and Futurama - Volume 2 are now listed as...
TVShowsonDVD.com posted this back in March:
Last week we posted various Fox titles on the site after Amazon.com put them up for presale. We just heard back from Fox and it looks like Amazon.com jumped the gun and none of those dates are confirmed. I'm sure Fox is a little bit ticked, but this isn't the first time it's happened. Amazon.com also listed the Felicity Season Two set over a month ago, and now that other etailers have begun selling it, the release date has changed. Maybe they are jumping the gun in order to get presales?

The word from Fox is that Amazon.com will be removing those titles from their site shortly.
Old 05-17-03, 09:20 PM
Suspended

That doesn't really apply to the Simpsons Season 3, though, because all etailers are taking pre-orders for it now.

-- Jough
Old 05-17-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nope, I was just posting it in response to kmac's question about Family Guy and Futurama.

Rob
Old 05-17-03, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...thanks Rob - so then any idea when Family Guy will come out? I used my $30 GC from the Amazon CC deal a few weeks ago on the preorder for FG and ended up getting for $3.54 after STL. I know I can get the GC back, but I'm just curious as to when FG would come out because perhaps I'll just keep the preorder.
Old 05-18-03, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometime this fall I'm sure. I just picked up the S1 & S2 boxed set and it's amazing. The episodes rule and the packaging is something new, and I like it.
Anyways, only time will tell when the true date for The Simpsons S3 is. I thought the commentaries were what were holding up the releases, but I guess not.
littlefuzzy mentioned South Park and the South Park Season DVD's have hardly any extra features and I doubt there are any legal troubles since it's all with Comedy Central & WB who distributes it. I wish the creators would do Commentaries for the DVD's, I bought the CD's for the 1st season and I loved all the commentaries.
Old 06-04-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not to thread crap or anything, but did anyone else just become fed up with these Simpsons DVDs? I am a huge fan of the show, know way too much, but couldn't see the point in waiting 11-13 months per season on DVD. After watching the hell out of the first two seasons, I put em on eBay (and actually got what I paid for them originally).

I know it's been brought up, but either bring them all out at once (w/out commentaries) or bring them all out at once (w/all the extras). It's ridiculous how fast other shows come out to DVD, season by season.
Old 06-05-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Yeah, you get over 20 episodes per season with the simpsons now...and so what? "Well it's a lot of work to blah blah blah", just have somebody do the transfer like Futurama you odn't need a zillion extras or anything. I mean...Buffy gets released bi-annually. and that has over 20 episodes a season....and each episode is twice as long as a simpsons episode, there really is no excuse.
Old 06-05-03, 02:09 AM
Suspended

I'm happy that they're taking a little care with the Simpsons release. I'd rather wait a few months and have a nice picture with commentaries and extras than to have them out NOW and be all crappy looking and have to wait until they come out with a better version later.

And if they did release them quickly and with extras even more people would whine and complain. Me, I'm happy they're taking the time to do them right the first time.

I guess that's just me.

-- Jough
Old 06-05-03, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eh...I could do without the commentaries though.
Old 06-05-03, 04:00 AM
Keeper of the Comfy Chair

I really enjoy the commentaries on the Simpsons sets. They're the best commentaries for a TV show on DVD that I've listened to, with the possible exception of those on the Clerks: Animated Series set.
Old 06-05-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, the commentaries are great, and well worth it.
Old 06-05-03, 06:12 PM
Suspended

You know, I don't listen to the commentaries for every episode, but it's nice to know there's one there for any episode I may be interested in at any time.

It's just a *nice* feature. And the ones I have heard have been great - full of trivia, info, and lots of humour. These people obviously have a great time doing what they're doing.

-- Jough
Old 07-11-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Toonzone.net has a quote from Nancy Cartwright which reveals that the voice actors did commentary this time around.

Bonus features on The Simpsons: The Complete Third Season DVD Box Set will include, for the first time, commentary from members of the voice cast. "I think we set a record for the number of commentary participants," writes Nancy. "In 'Lisa The Greek' there are ten of us!"
I've always been skeptical that the main reason these are taking so long is the commentaries, but I'm starting to believe it now. Anyway, this sounds good and I can't wait to hear them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.