Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Would you be ashamed if people knew you had Ninja Turtles in your dvd collection?

Would you be ashamed if people knew you had Ninja Turtles in your dvd collection?

Old 05-15-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friends are always giving me a hard time since I have the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles dvd in my collection. I always try to tell them how good it is (yes it may be a little cheesy but I still like it) but they tell me I am living a state of denial from my childhood. Anyways part 2 and 3 was horrendous but the first one had some redeeming qualities. Anybody out there agree with me? (sigh)
Old 05-15-03, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hell no! everytime someone sees it im like 'hell yeah!' and usually they say the same (since we all grew up with them!). TMNT 1 rules! #2 was ok and #3 sucked (i dont own #3).

i just watched it recently and im SHOCKED to realize how funny, uncorny (well only a little corny) and entertaining it is! most kiddie movies that i watch again that i used to like as a kid, SUCK and im like 'how the hell did i used to watch this?'

but TMNT isnt like that. i think a big part is donatello and michaelangelo. i wish corey feldman kept doing donatellos voice cuz when he left it really hurt the rest IMO.
Old 05-15-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,269 Likes on 925 Posts
Not as bad as if your friends found out you have Richard Simmons' Sweatin' to the Oldies Vols 1-99

Back to the subject...

I'm never one to pester someone about their love for certain movies. Just look at my collection and there are a few that would make a saner person say "What the hell is THAT doing in your collection?!?!" My best friend loves to chide me that "you have a movie about the Olympics??" Okay, so it's Criterion's Tokyo Olympiad but he still thinks it's pretty silly.

Keep it real!
Old 05-15-03, 11:02 PM

if someone is actually giving you **** about something you own... i'd hardly call them friends. it's *your* collection.... why do you care?

Please don't try to go around the forum censor. - Static
Old 05-15-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 157 Posts
Re: Would you be ashamed if people knew you had Ninja Turtles in your dvd collection?

Originally posted by tonymontana313
they tell me I am living a state of denial from my childhood.
Stupid argument.

If I like Gone With The Wind, am I living in a state of denial from my grandfather's childhood?
Old 05-15-03, 11:05 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

TMNT rules
besides I have much more degrading movies then TMNT
Old 05-15-03, 11:11 PM
Banned

I liked the 2nd one better.
Old 05-15-03, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never! I have some stuff that a lot of people wonder about, but hey, that is why it is MY collection, right?
Old 05-15-03, 11:52 PM

Hell no, its part of my childhood. And like atari said, its aged rather well. I can't say that for the Transformers DVD's, some episodes are really bad!

besides I have much more degrading movies then TMNT
Exactly.

SCSIMan
Old 05-15-03, 11:59 PM

wow...i'm shocked to see another person with TMNT in their DVD collection. i have it on laserdisc, VCD (Cantonese dub, by the way), and DVD.

to HK ppl, if y'all not aware, the late Kinn Wong (of the rock band, Beyond) was the voice of Raphael. yeah...Raphael rules.
Old 05-16-03, 12:32 AM

I still enjoy the turtles, I'm don't care what anyone else thinks about what I enjoy. The Turtles are in the front row on my most accessible shelf.
Old 05-16-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 225 Likes on 154 Posts
Hell no!....I have it in my collection.

Actually, people are in shock when they find out I have the MM Power Rangers/Turbo Movie in my collection.

TMNT is no big deal.
Old 05-16-03, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have all three TMNT movies in my collection, and I would even buy the original cartoons (but not the crap they are doing now!) I even had TMNT III on Laserdisc.
Old 05-16-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't give a crap what my friends say about anything, much less my choice in movies.

And for the record I do own TMNT on DVD.
Old 05-16-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Glad to see so supporters! I thought i was the only one that had a special place in my heart for TMNT 1. [biggrin]. I would consider what my buddies as doing as more of a razzing considering as tmnt comes right after Taxi Driver in my collection which has a little bit more to do with it. LOL
Old 05-16-03, 01:07 AM

TMNT is one of the most fun films of the 90s. A comic book movie that delivers.

I love this movie. I too grew up watching the Turtles, playing with the toys, etc. While, I cannot stand watching the cartoons anymore (talk about baaaad 'on the nose' writing)

I still love this movie. It still stands up. And it'll always have a place in my DVD collection.
Old 05-16-03, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't have it, but its something i'd definatly own in the future. Great movie.
Old 05-16-03, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First off, to atari, Corey came back for TMNT III.

Second, and I might be in the minority here, I actually think the first movie is actually pretty bad. If anything it's a guilty pleasure that I can't understand why I ever thought it was so brilliant. You know what's weird? I liked the second one better when I first saw it as a youngster, and then even 3 better than the first 2. Somewhere along the way, 2 shifted into first place with 1 into second (probably cuz 3 was actually really really lame with completely unconvincing costumes, and it just took me a couple years to, ya know, grow up and realize it wasn't really as funny as I thought it was a kid). Now, I'm in the majority thinking the first one is the best of them. But I still think it's rather lame in so many aspects. I actually own all 3 and will always defend them if any of my friends badmouths them for being in my collection. Part of the reason I still like the first two is cuz there's something just too precious about watching 4 huge turtles ninja fighting baddies, be they ninja foot soldiers or a huge snapping turtle and wolf. For me, the first Turtles movie just isn't as enjoyable to me as other movies based on comic books.

Hey, does anyone remember seeing the trailer for the first Turtle movie and then seeing the movie and feeling like the movie was totally different than what you expected? I absolutely did. I still loved it and all, but I can still remember completely expecting a different movie. Same with The Crow actually. Hmm, odd.

K
Old 05-16-03, 07:12 AM

I'd be ashamed if *I* owned any of them. And then I'd be ashamed of going over to your place to watch one of them

Everyone's got their guilty pleasures.

What makes my friends' eyes roll: Complete Robotech, Speed Racer, Die Hard, Babe: Pig in the City, Star Blazers, Beatles' Magical Mystery Tour and plenty of and plenty of Star Trek.

Last edited by MaudlinHarold; 05-16-03 at 07:17 AM.
Old 05-16-03, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yes
Old 05-16-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't care what anyone thinks about my collection. I never really liked TMNT, but if I had a smidgen of interest in them I would immediately pick them up and put them on the shelf. I'm sure there are much more worthy titles in my collection that would be subject to ridicule already.
Old 05-16-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by pdjennings
if someone is actually giving you sh1t about something you own... i'd hardly call them friends. it's *your* collection.... why do you care?
friends make fun of each other...it's always in good fun though. I know with a good portion of my friends, all we ever do is make fun of each other, but we never take it seriously.

Now if it was a complete stranger commenting about something in my collection, that's another story.
Old 05-16-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 367 Likes on 261 Posts
I think that picture belongs in the Mature forum... Oh, it's a ninja turtle, nevermind.
Old 05-16-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by majorjoe23
I think that picture belongs in the Mature forum... Oh, it's a ninja turtle, nevermind.
When I first saw that I thought the exact same thing. It took a sec to focus in.
Old 05-16-03, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by majorjoe23
lol

I don't care what others think of my collection either. I own all 3 TMNT movies and will probably buy any of this new series too. Maybe even the old series that I grew up with. I also have 2 Power Rangers DVDs (the 2-movie flipper and the 'best of' disc) and there's another to be released June 3rd.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.