What's your favorite movie/DVD magazine?

Old 05-14-03, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's your favorite movie/DVD magazine?

So I've decided I'd like to subscribe to a movie or DVD magazine, something nice to browse in the living room. All I can really think of is Entertainment weekly and maxim movies. The first isn't so hot, not really interested in the tv and music stuff anyway and the second apparently only has one issue so far and no subscription option

So what does everyone else here get? What do you like about it?
Old 05-14-03, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Entertainment Weekly
Premiere

Finally got rid of Movieline, can't believe I kept a subscription to that crappy mag all this time.
Old 05-14-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I currently subscribe to Entertainment Weekly and I used to subscribe to Premiere, Movieline and Widescreen Review (back in my laser daze) but it seems like the internet is the best place to get movie/DVD news, info and reviews. The monthly mags just seem to be outdated by the time they arrive.

I know, you're looking for a periodical so I'm not much help... sorry.
Old 05-14-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I subscribe to:

Entertainment Weekly - good but not great. I Don't care much for the non-movie stuff.

Moviemaker - Excellent mag with great interviews, focus is mainly on independent film and film making.

Movieline - I got stuck with a 3 year subscription. Skip this magazine at all costs.
Old 05-14-03, 10:05 PM

Entertainment Weekly is my entertainment Bible.

There are a lot of great UK movie magazines like Empire that you can subscribe to as well.

I agree with greatjedi on Movieline. I received my last issue of that subscription today. They just changed the name to Movieline Hollywood and it is awful.
Old 05-14-03, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

like I've said before, nothing beats Video Watchdog, from the husband and wife team, Tim and Donna Lucas. it's my bible. see the links below in my sig, and checkout the current issue as well as next issue.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-14-03 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another big vote for Video Watchdog. I've been reading it for years (long before DVD). It's one of my favourite magazines period.
Old 05-14-03, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

VARIETY....

and EMPIRE(uk).
Old 05-14-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

hehe...got it....no movieline

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 05-14-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My dad has given me a gift subscription to Entertainment Weekly for the past several years. My girlfriend devours it when it arrives. I generally catch up on issues, but I think it's a great magazine.

I'm going to subscribe to Fangoria--probably tonight, now that I've thought about it. I'm into horror movies. Fangoria is a little gaudy, but it looks like it'll satisfy my horror urges.
Old 05-14-03, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by DVDude!
I'm going to subscribe to Fangoria--probably tonight, now that I've thought about it. I'm into horror movies. Fangoria is a little gaudy, but it looks like it'll satisfy my horror urges.
if you like horror, you should love Video Watchdog. try reading the monthly feature, Joe Dante's Fleapit Flashbacks. also checkout Fangorias message boards....a lot of horror being talked about.
Old 05-14-03, 11:38 PM

I subscribe to Film Comment, Cineaction, and Cinemascope. I usually buy Cineaste each issue, since I haven't gotten around to subscribing yet.

None of the above magazines are specific to DVDs (they all basically deal with art cinema) but they frequently have DVD reviews or articles about them. Film Comment has a two page spread in every issue that reports on what are the recommended recent releases.

I have very little use for Premiere, Empire, or Entertainment Weekly. I would like to read Sight & Sound, but it's hard to come on this side of the pond.
Old 05-15-03, 04:29 AM

i come from london and here we seem to have a lot more magazines,then i noticed you have over there.the ones i get every month from england are empire,total film and hotdog,hotdog is pretty good because it doesn't follow the flavour of the month.for example while everyone else has matrix reloaded on the cover,hotdog has de niro because it has an article on him (it still has reloaded in it but doesn't shout it).I must admit you can't beat EW,they just get good pictures.
Old 05-15-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
if you like horror, you should love Video Watchdog. try reading the monthly feature, Joe Dante's Fleapit Flashbacks. also checkout Fangorias message boards....a lot of horror being talked about.
I've never even heard of Video Watchdog. Is it exclusively horror? Is it widely available? Well, I did have to seek out a store that sold Fangoria and Rue Morgue recently. Figure that Video Watchdog would be available at a store (Joe Muggs, btw) that sold Fango?

Yeah, I've checked out the Fangoria forums. They're okay. I also visit the forums at Bloody Disgusting. The problem is that far too many immature teenagers visit those forums. *shrug*

Thanks for the advice about Video Watchdog.
Old 05-15-03, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Premiere
Film Comment
Old 05-15-03, 11:43 AM

Entertainment Weekly is fantastic...one of the few weekly mags I read cover to cover. Starlog is good for Sci-Fi stuff...although a bit pricy per issue (even their subsciption rate is high).
Old 05-15-03, 12:37 PM

i think its called DVD etc.
Old 05-15-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

gutwrencher and cultshock: I searched for Video Watchdog at Joe Muggs, but they don't have it. They seem to have every magazine in the world, so I wonder if it's not available in B&M retailers?

And I answered my own question about whether or not it's horror by going to the website. Looks cool.

As for buying it, is it available anywhere else for subscription other than the website? It is very pricey ($48 for a year) when you can get great deals on other mags online. Of course, I would want to see an issue before deciding to subscribe.

Thanks.

(Oh, Fangoria #223 is out. Bought it today.)
Old 05-15-03, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cinescape & Fangoria.
Old 05-15-03, 04:53 PM

For something more offbeat, you might try Hitch. It's not so much news, but more of a satirical look at entertainment and pop culture. Very funny indie magazine.
Old 05-15-03, 04:54 PM

[B]As for buying it, is it available anywhere else for subscription other than the website?
if you have a Borders store near you, they carry it, but only get maybe 12 copies or less. and it's ususlly gone by day 3 or 4. it's a hard one to find...which for me, is just fine. I want them to stay small, independent and personable. it's worth searching out....and to me it's worth the price of a subscription. Tim does love his horror....it's he and VW that turned me onto my fav director, Mario Bava, over 4 years ago. but they also made me aware of great films like The Third Man and Contempt.
Old 05-15-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gutwrencher
if you have a Borders store near you, they carry it, but only get maybe 12 copies or less. and it's ususlly gone by day 3 or 4. it's a hard one to find...which for me, is just fine. I want them to stay small, independent and personable. it's worth searching out....and to me it's worth the price of a subscription. Tim does love his horror....
For me, $48 for a year seems really high. But I'll have to go to Borders and see if they have a copy so I can check it out.

Just noticed your newest additions in your signature. My god... Queen Kong?!? Rue Morgue absolutely tore it to pieces in their review. Ick.
Old 05-15-03, 08:18 PM

Just noticed your newest additions in your signature. My god... Queen Kong?!? Rue Morgue absolutely tore it to pieces in their review. Ick.
Oh god...here we go. Rue who? I make it a habit to not listen to other peoples reveiws. aside from that, I know when a film is bad or not. just so happens I love bad films sometimes. as for other reasons why I have it.....I'll pass since defending my collection is a waste of time.

as for the high price of the VW subscription...you may be right. but it's just like those who moan about high dvd prices...it's either worth it to you, or it's not. I'll tell you right now, it might not be for you. as soon as you see the size of the magazine...you'll flip.
Old 05-15-03, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by wendersfan

I have very little use for Premiere, Empire, or Entertainment Weekly. I would like to read Sight & Sound, but it's hard to come on this side of the pond.
My local Barnes and Noble carries Sight and Sound, you may want to check yours. Actually, mine only carries it b/c i work there and i got the magazine person to carry it and Cineaste. It could be worth it to talk to whoever is in charge of magazines at your local bookstore. Some of them are helpful.
Old 05-15-03, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For me, $48 for a year seems really high. But I'll have to go to Borders and see if they have a copy so I can check it out.

The price is high compared to other mags because VW does not carry any advertising. The only way the mag makes any money is through sales and subscriptions. Its truly a labour of love for Tim, believe me, they aren't making millions of dollars publishing it. When I first saw it for sale, I thought the cover price was high compared to other magazines ("and, what! No colour pics??") but when I read it, the quality and sheer amount of information got me hooked.

This magazine was the first thing responsible for making many film fans aware of things like deleted scenes, alternate versions, missing footage from video releases, letterboxing, incorrect aspect ratios, audio and video quality of video releases, etc. It was way ahead of its time.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.