View Poll Results: Which Ray Harryhausen should I geek out and get him to sign?
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger
0%
Golden Voyage of Sinbad
0%
7th Voyage of Sinbad
14.71%
Clash of the Titans
35.29%
First Men in the Moon
0%
Jason and the Argonauts
44.12%
Mysterious Island
0%
20 Million Miles to Earth
0%
Earth vs. the Flying Saucers
2.94%
Go and get 3 Worlds of Gulliver, you bonehead!
2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Which Harryhausen disc do I get him to sign?

Old 05-14-03, 10:31 AM

Which Harryhausen disc do I get him to sign?

So I've got a chance at the upcoming Seattle International Film Festival to sit in on a lecture by Ray Harryhausen, and hopefully I'll get a chance to at least express my appreciation for him and his work . . . . and thrust a DVD at him to sign.

The problem is - which one?

I've got them all, except for The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (I just haven't had a chance to pick it up yet), and I like them all. The 3 Sinbad, Jason, Clash of the Titans are my favorite out of the bunch, but there's just so much goodness I cant decide.

So I'll turn to you guys. When I get a chance for my full-on geek Valhalla moment, which disc do I get autographed?
Old 05-14-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Gotta go with Clash of the Titans. I saw him last summer here at the Comic-Con and he was very happily chatting and signing stuff. IMO, he's a GOD in the movie-making industry.
Old 05-14-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

For me it would be no contest, Jason and the Argonauts. That's always been my favorite Harryhausen movie. The skeltetons, man, the skeletons!
Old 05-14-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

7th Voyage.

the first appearence of the cyclops on camera is the stuff of fantasy film legend

i saw the film for the first time just a few years ago and the scene still packs a whallop

to bad you didn't have the boxed set of the three sinbad movies, then he could just sign the box.

you are going to take the sleave out and have him sign that right? not the plastic case?
Old 05-14-03, 11:26 AM

I'd go w/ Jason myself, unless you picked up the Harryhausen Chronicles as a separate DVD.
Old 05-14-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
For me it would be no contest, Jason and the Argonauts. That's always been my favorite Harryhausen movie. The skeltetons, man, the skeletons!
This used to freak me out when I was a kid! Definitely Jason. It was a much earlier display of his genuis.
Old 05-14-03, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by ckolchak
you are going to take the sleave out and have him sign that right? not the plastic case?
Oh yeah - sleeve all the way. No way that I'm getting him to sign a 25 cent keep case!

I thought about getting him to sign the box, too - but it may not show up very well against the black design.
Old 05-14-03, 12:06 PM

Thanks for posting this thread! Harryhausen will be in town for Wonderfest in a few weeks, and I was having similar trouble deciding what to take!
Old 05-14-03, 01:13 PM

I gotta go with Clash Of The Titans it's his masterpiece!
Old 05-14-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If I'm able to go to this in Seattle (my in-laws are getting here that day, so might require some weaseling for me to go), I'll pick Seventh Voyage of Sinbad because
1. It's probably my favorite of the ones I've seen
2. It's the oldest movie of the ones I have (1958, whereas Jason... is 1963), somehow, I like the idea of having an older movie be the one he signs.

Edit: The movie they're showing with his appearance appears to be Jason and the Argonauts, so that might be a good choice.

Edit 2: For signing purposes, I think Clash of the Titans is the only one in a snapper (which is actually pretty good for signing), so that might be a good choice too).

Edit 3: How can you go wrong, it's Ray Harryhausen!

Edit 4: Here's a link, if anyone wants to go. Hopefully this sells out.

http://www.seattlefilm.org/siff/film...asp?filmid=174

The acclaimed Ray Harryhausen, known most widely for his extraordinary cinematic special effects, will showcase his latest work in this special one-on-one evening as he talks about his remarkable career. A legendary stop motion animator, Harrhausen recently completed a new work, “The Tortoise and The Hare”, a 12-minute short that is sure to delight the audience with the first new Harryhausen in years. As a special bonus, SIFF will screen Harryhausen’s masterpiece, “Jason and the Argonauts”. A truly unique adventure fantasy, this is a rare chance to see it on the big screen!

Last edited by Ginwen; 05-14-03 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

another vote for Clash of the Titans
Old 05-14-03, 02:10 PM

The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad the first and best of the Sinbads!!

I'd go with The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad as it was the first of the Sinbad adventures, and I think it was the best.

There are many superb scenes, my favourite is the fight with the single skeleton, then there is the wonderful cyclops, and the roc, etc.

I M H O this is the movie to take, or if you take a few it would be the first one I would proffer for Harryhausen to sign.
Old 05-14-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Clash of the Titans would be the worst choice to make, especially since it's probably the worst film he's worked on. Definitely go with Jason & the Argonauts, he'd appreciate signing that much more than COTT, especially since it contains one of his favorite sequences, the skelton fight. Plus, it shows that you followed his whole career and not just his most recent film.

Last edited by Jaymole; 05-14-03 at 02:28 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Ginwen
Edit: The movie they're showing with his appearance appears to be Jason and the Argonauts, so that might be a good choice.
EEEK!!! I didnt know about the showing of Jason! When I got my ticket at the box office, all they had up was "An evening with Ray Harryhausen - 10$". I snapped it up on that alone - it was only later that I found out about the premere of the short.

Damn, I'm glad I got my tix!
Old 05-14-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it figures the one I would suggest is not even on the list.

I have a poster signed by him....of It Came From Beneath the Sea, and man do I wish the recent dvd could be signed!!!! he drew a little picture of a 6 armed octopus on the poster. so I say get that and have him sign it. if not that, I'd have him sign either the 7th Voyage of Sinbad or Jason..... good luck and have fun!!

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-14-03 at 05:29 PM.
Old 05-14-03, 05:02 PM
Banned

7TH Voyage of Sinbad, nuff said.

but try to get something else like a poster or lobby card instead of a stupid DVD cover.

Just my .02
Old 05-14-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Scot1458
...but try to get something else like a poster or lobby card instead of a stupid DVD cover...
While I voted for Jason & the Argonauts, I have to agree with Scot1458; since Clash of the Titans is your favorite, see if you can find an original-release lobby card or one-sheet movie poster for it. (Due to the smaller size, the lobby card will be the easiest...and cheapest...to frame and display.)
Old 05-14-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

if i were you, i'd get the Sinbad box set & have him sign 'em!!

good luck
Old 05-14-03, 09:41 PM
Rest in Peace

Got to be 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Barani the Genie, the cyclops it has it all!
Old 05-14-03, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mysterious Island has always been my personal favorite, and I'd probably go with that one.

Harryhausen=genius.
Old 05-15-03, 12:23 AM

I wish Clash of the Titans had been out when I saw RH at Comicon last summer. But it wasn't (critics be damned, I wouldn't be a Harryhausen fan if I hadn't seen COTT, so there), so I ran all over San Diego until I finally found a copy of Argonauts for him to sign.

Ironically, his signature looks nothing like that on the "Signature Series" logo!

BOMM,

CS