Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Warner's lets us choose what classic films we want on dvd!

Old 05-14-03, 03:42 AM

from www.dvdfile.com:

Tired of feeling like you never have any say in what comes out on DVD? Well, Warner Home Video is finally giving consumers the chance to rock the vote with DVD Decision 2003.

"In an unprecedented event," goes the press release, "Warner will empower film fans to determine which classic films will be released next on DVD." A joint promotion with America Online and sister-division Turner Classic Movies, Warner has selected 20 unreleased candidate films from its vault and AOL members will be able to vote for their top five favorites beginning in June. The five films with the most votes will receive their first-time DVD debut in January 2004. The remaining films will be scheduled for future DVD release.

So, what are the 20 flicks? How about The Actress, After the Thin Man, Another Thin Man, The Asphalt Jungle, Bad Day at Black Rock, The Blackboard Jungle, Days of Wine and Roses, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Executive Suite, Finian's Rainbow, For Me and My Gal, The Good Earth, I'll Cry Tomorrow, Love Finds Andy Hardy, Night of the Iguana, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Somebody Up There Likes Me, Where the Boys Are, The Wind and the Lion and Ziegfeld Girl.

Voting will take place exclusively on AOL from June 2 to July 1 and the winning DVDs will be announced in July. AOL members will be able to vote at AOL Keyword: DVD Decision, which is part of the "AOL Movies" area. In addition, they will be able to find a brief synopsis, pictures, and exclusive clips from all 20 films. For more, visit http://www.tryaol.com/dvddecision, and let the voting begin!

this is a great idea - please please everybody vote for bad day at black rock a fantastic film one of the very best classic films not yet released on DVD.
Old 05-14-03, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd sure like to vote for the Thin Mans, and Jekyll and Hyde, provided that's the Frederic March version, but there's no way I'm going AOL, not even gonna "try it". There should be a law against this type of promotion.
Old 05-14-03, 06:09 AM
Banned

I don't like the candidates, so I'm not voting!
Old 05-14-03, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And I am not an aol member and never will be again so I can't vote.
Old 05-14-03, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh..... this is scary - the eligible voters have already made one less-than-ideal decision by going on AOL. Remember - friends don't let friends use AOL.
Old 05-14-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You mean AOHell.
Old 05-14-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Link doesn't work for me. Do I need AOhelL to use it?
Old 05-14-03, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by calhoun07
Link doesn't work for me. Do I need AOhelL to use it?
No, there's a comma at the end of the URL. This one -> http://www.tryaol.com/dvddecision should work.

The problem here is - I've never seen most of those, I've never even heard of some of them. There's nothing on the list that makes me get wood, so I'll probably pass on the voting.
Old 05-14-03, 11:21 AM

please vote for bad day at black rock its a fantastic film - maybe one of the greatest of all time and I've been wanting it on dvd for a long time - there was a great criterion laserdisc of it previously.
Old 05-14-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MartyMcSuperfly

The problem here is - I've never seen most of those, I've never even heard of some of them. There's nothing on the list that makes me get wood, so I'll probably pass on the voting.

Never seen them, haven't even heard of some of them - well, you obviously have a lot of wonderful movies to discover. Many of them show up on the cable movie channels, and you should do yourself a favor and check them out.

Two of my favorites on the list:

BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK - Spencer Tracy, Lee Marvin, Robert Ryan - directed by the great John Sturges. Demonstrates just how much story. character development, intrigue and action can be put in an 81-minute movie!
BLACKBOARD JUNGLE Glenn Ford and Sidney Poitier star in this controversial look at the problems of public schools. This was a landmark film in that it was the first time rock music (Bill Haley's Rock Around The Clock) appeared in a mainstream movie.
Old 05-14-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bad Day at Black Rock and The Postman Always Rings Twice are both awesome.

However, there is no way in h-e-double hockey sticks I am ever using AOL again, so I guess I can't vote.
Old 05-14-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only positive thing about this poll is that, thank God, they're all older films which will make it a fairer poll and more likely to involve AOL users that appreciate these films. You know if the Police Academy films were included, they would lock up all 5 spots.
Old 05-14-03, 12:08 PM

Well, my parents have AOL, so I'll stop by their house and vote for them
Old 05-14-03, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have AOL, and I am voting for...

The Asphalt Juntle
Bad Day at Black Rock
The Postman Always Rings Twice

These are the only 3 on the list I want so I am going to give the other 2 votes to any DVDtalker who posts (in this thread) the best reasons why any of the other movies should be on DVD. AOL bashers need not participate.
Old 05-14-03, 01:10 PM
Banned

First of all WB needs to release ALL OF THESE!!! IMEDIATELY!!!! I don't like this vote and wait bulls*** Just release the mother****ers. WB library is so big and so deep that they could release 20 titles a week and never run out. Nevertheless...

My parents have AOL so I'm voting over there. I know who I'm voting for, but if you have AOL yet don't care about these titles and aren't going to vote, proxy vote for someone here on DVD Talk who cares.

Vote for Bad Day at Black Rock, the Thin Mans, Postman Always Rings, Blackboard Jungle, Night of the Iguana
Old 05-14-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Pants
First of all WB needs to release ALL OF THESE!!! IMEDIATELY!!!! I don't like this vote and wait bulls*** Just release the mother****ers. WB library is so big and so deep that they could release 20 titles a week and never run out. Nevertheless...

My parents have AOL so I'm voting over there. I know who I'm voting for, but if you have AOL yet don't care about these titles and aren't going to vote, proxy vote for someone here on DVD Talk who cares.

Vote for Bad Day at Black Rock, the Thin Mans, Postman Always Rings, Blackboard Jungle, Night of the Iguana
Word!
Old 05-14-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember, according to the press release, you're voting for the titles you would like to see released in January... but the ones that don't make the January cut will be released later.
Old 05-14-03, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
Never again will I go AOL. As I newbie I used it because it was on the computer.

I want almost all the titles and if I can't vote at least they will be released sometime next year -- IF WB keeps its word.
Old 05-15-03, 12:39 PM
Banned

Originally posted by shill66
Remember, according to the press release, you're voting for the titles you would like to see released in January... but the ones that don't make the January cut will be released later.
I realize that, but WB is really dragging their feet. They should release all of these in January and another slate of 20 in February and another slate of 20 in March and on and on and on. Even at that accelerated rate it would take them 30 years to release maybe only 10% of the films in their library. At the pace their going it would take 100 years to release 5% of their library.
Old 05-15-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ETILIM19
please vote for bad day at black rock its a fantastic film - maybe one of the greatest of all time and I've been wanting it on dvd for a long time - there was a great criterion laserdisc of it previously.
Exactly...great film that deserves to be on dvd.