DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Top 5 Most Wanted CC's (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/292300-top-5-most-wanted-ccs.html)

DaJosha 05-14-03 01:40 AM

Top 5 Most Wanted CC's

If you could pick 5 movies you'd want to see Criterion release/reissue, which would they be?

In no order, I'd like to see:

-subUrbia (im sure we could get some nice bogosian featurettes, commentary by linklater and bogosian would be nice.)

-Freaks (they could have a documentary of the history of the film's controversy, commentary by film scholars, talent bios on the freaks...)

-Videodrome (this movie is too amazing for a mere trailer and production notes. get cronenberg to do commentary. production arty gallery... maybe a retrospective featurette with interviews from woods, harry, etc...)

-Naked Lunch (seeing as they pulled out a great Fear and Loathing set, i'd love to see them do a Naked Lunch: CC. get cronenberg for commentary as well. maybe an additional commentary track with a burroughs expert or something.)

-Mulholland Drive (i know this won't happen anytime soon, but with all the foreign versions floating around with little featurettes, criterion could pick the best and put them in a 2 disc set with the original MD pilot on disc 2. but seeing as lynch is chintzy with dvd extras and i dont see universal selling the distribution rights, ill have to pray.)

DonnachaOne 05-14-03 02:35 AM

Well, some people have all manner of suggestions for what should and what shouldn't be CC. The ideas are as wide-ranged as any poll this place has, and most people just say their favourite film rather than something that could realistically be considered by Criterion. Thought they did do Armageddon, so I guess anything's possible.

I'd like a Trainspotting DVD Criterion.

I'd like anamorphic resissues of previously letterboxed versions.

I'd like Mike Leigh's Naked.

As for your suggestions, why wait for what may never come? Spend the $80, get an all-region player, get the Japanese Naked Lunch with, um, half a Cronenberg comm, the foreign SE of Mulholland Drive...

Just remember it's the film that's most important. MD looks great and has a DTS track already.

insanecollector 05-14-03 02:59 AM

1. Bottle Rocket
2. Raging Bull
3. The Game
4. Blade Runner
5. Wild Bunch

Grimmyhk 05-14-03 03:17 AM

1. The László Krasznahorkai Trilogy boxset (Damnation, Satantango, Werckmeister Harmonies) - Bela Tarr
2. Spiritual Voices - Aleksandr Sokurov
3. Histoire du Cinema boxset - Jean-Luc Godard
4. Theo Angelopoulos boxset (The Traveling Players, Landscape in the Mist, Eternity and a Day) - Theo Angelopoulos
5. Eureka - Shinji Aoyama

DumDum 05-14-03 05:16 AM

Dune
Trainspotting
Ran (a decent transfer would be nice)
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Stalker
Breaking the Waves

garmonbozia 05-14-03 05:41 AM

Un Chien Andalou (and L'Age D'Or for that matter)

Naked Lunch

La Dolce Vita

Lost Highway

short films of Kenneth Anger box set (hey I never expected Brakhage so this isn't that far-fetched! although since Anger's films are so tied up in music rights hell --he used 50s pop songs without permission in his films and because of such his films are illegal to be screened-- I fear his films on dvd may never happen. It's a pity too since his work was so influential.....he was really the first person to use pop songs in film...now it is commonplace)

Mark_vdH 05-14-03 07:34 AM

Riget/The Kingdom
Rules Of The Game
Babe
Vampyr
If......

William Fuld 05-14-03 09:10 AM

Originally posted by garmonbozia
short films of Kenneth Anger box set
Fantoma has been teasing "The Films of Kenneth Anger Vol. 1" for several months now. It's supposedly coming this year.

PixyJunket 05-14-03 09:19 AM

Good Burger, of course. ;)

Mikey 05-14-03 09:19 AM

Parents
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Delicatessen
babe
Babe pig in the city

Jackskeleton 05-14-03 09:24 AM

Trainspotting
Blade runner

Good burger. ;)

wendersfan 05-14-03 09:26 AM

I could probably just copy Grimmy's list and go with that, but instead:

1. Satantango/Werckmeister Harmonies (Tarr)
2. Underground/Time of the Gypsies/Black Cat White Cat (Kustarica)
3. Rules Of the Game/La Bete Humaine/Boudu Saved From Drowning (Renoir)
4. Where Is the Friend's House?/Life and Nothing More/Through the Olive Trees (the earthquake trilogy by Kiarostami)
5. L'Eclisse/Deserto Rosso/The Blow-Up (Antonioni)

Some of the above are going to be released by Criterion, and some never will, due to rights issues.

reubs82 05-14-03 09:27 AM

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Well, some people have all manner of suggestions for what should and what shouldn't be CC. The ideas are as wide-ranged as any poll this place has, and most people just say their favourite film rather than something that could realistically be considered by Criterion.
I agree with you on this point. It's like, "Hey, I liked that movie...when are we gonna see a CC of the LOTR Trilogy? Or The Matrix? I want those spine numbers on my shelf!"

I'm more for them trying to get out some of their LD releases. I wasn't a laserdisc person (b/c I just got into DVD), so maybe some of the suggestions were previous LD releases...I'm not sure. I would like to see some action on Terry Gilliam's other films (such as Baron Munchausen and maybe Fisher King) simply for the completist ideal since some of his other works have already been criterionized.

But on to the question at hand:

Pasolini's The Gospel According to St. Matthew
Gilliam's The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
Gilliam's Fisher King

Not really sure what else at this time...

Ed Crane 05-14-03 09:27 AM

Bottle Rocket--I think that Criterion hasn't been able to get the rights yet, so our hopes are dwindling.

The Wild Bunch--I think this is a possiblity, given the recent release of Straw Dogs.

Rules of the Game

Tokyo Story

The Game--was rumored, and the rumors still make me dream.

Ed Crane 05-14-03 09:33 AM

reubus82,

The Gilliam's would be nice--especially The Fisher King!

Alec Eiffel 05-14-03 11:39 AM

1. Trainspotting
2. The Grapes of Wrath
3. The African Queen
4. Scarface
5. Fight Club

Tha Freak 05-14-03 12:00 PM

I would say:

The Godfather trilogy
Blade Runner
Close encounter of the third kind
Fight Club
Seven

Pants 05-14-03 12:02 PM

I'm sticking to requests that I know they can get (ie. Universal and Disney titles, and films from specific filmmakers):

Videodrome is a great pick. Not only does it need Cronenberg participation, but it's a Universal title so they could get it

But my #1 pick is another Noir double feature like The Killers only this time THE GLASS KEY. Both the 1935 and 1942 versions are excellent and they both belong to Universal. I even e-mailed Criterion w/ this suggestion. I hope it happens.

I'd also love to see more Kiarostami, but I don't think it's going to happen

Ginwen 05-14-03 12:09 PM

1. Repulsion
2. Bottle Rocket
3. Trainspotting
4. Ran

For 5, a bunch of movies they'll never get, but that I just want one way or another (plus, I can think of interesting supplements for any of these)
5a. The Grapes of Wrath
5b. The African Queen
5c. Treasure of the Sierra Madre

It would also be nice to get the rest of Gilliam released by Criterion, although I don't really like Baron Munchausen much.

Pants 05-14-03 12:12 PM

BTW everyone, The Grapes of Wrath is coming soon from 20th Century Fox Special Edition. It should be excellent

RichDB10 05-14-03 12:21 PM

1) Apocalypse Now (Featuring 'Hearts Of Darkness)

2) The Thin Red Line

3) The Decalogue (Featuring the full length versions of 'A Short Film About Killing & A Short Film About Love)

4) The Game

Plus another vote for Lars Von Triers 'The Kingdom'

Aphex Twin 05-14-03 12:21 PM

Blade Runner
Apocolpyse Now
City of God
Enter the Dragon
Being John Malkcovich

JasonF 05-14-03 12:34 PM

I'd love to see them do one or more Marx Brothers movies.
More Gilliam would be great
Lubitsch's Ninotchka, starring Garbo
Mae West's I'm No Angel
The long-rumored Eisenstein: The Silent Years
Bringing Up Baby
The 1937 version of the Prisoner of Zenda. Even better, package it with the 1979 Peter Selelrs version, a la the Killers.
Scarface (1932) (I assume the rights to the Pacino version are too valuable to package with the Muni version, and each could support its own 2-disc set anyway).
Double Indemnity
The Bicycle Thief
Some Buster Keaton or Harold Lloyd films

xxjobseyes 05-14-03 01:33 PM

1) Histoire du Cinema boxset - Jean-Luc Godard
2) La Samuari
3) Henry Fool (yah riht...sony owns this one...)
4) Weekend - Godard
5) Dial M For Murder (although this is supposed to be out this year)

bboisvert 05-14-03 01:51 PM

Originally posted by reubs82
I'm more for them trying to get out some of their LD releases. I wasn't a laserdisc person (b/c I just got into DVD), so maybe some of the suggestions were previous LD releases...I'm not sure. I would like to see some action on Terry Gilliam's other films (such as Baron Munchausen and maybe Fisher King)
Criterion did both of those on laserdisc. The Munchausen LD is one of the best Special Editions ever, on any format.

If they can ever wrestle a distribution deal from Columbia/Tri-Star, these would make great DVDs.