Bowling for Columbine on August 19th?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-03, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw a release date set for August 19 on the release list here at DVDTalk. How firm is that, and where did the info come from?

Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-13-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
And just so I can beat everyone: Michael Moore is a lying, fat, commie, nazi, pinko rat, left-wing, liberal, psycho, satan worshiping, child eating, hypocrit.

I've had this preordered for awhile.
Old 05-13-03, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, but I'm waiting for his good movie, Roger and Me, to come out.
Old 05-13-03, 01:01 PM

Erm, can someone please explain to me why I can buy this movie over here in the UK on R2 (came out this monday), but it's not out in the US.

I wonder if the two releases will differ. I might hold off getting it till the final R1 spec is released.
Old 05-13-03, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by Azrael23
Erm, can someone please explain to me why I can buy this movie over here in the UK on R2 (came out this monday), but it's not out in the US.
It was originally scheduled for R1 release on April 22nd. When Michael Moore won the Documentary Feature Oscar on March 23rd I believe the distributors wanted to "milk the cow" for all they could in the movie theaters; therefore postponing the dvd release.
Old 05-13-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by majorjoe23
And just so I can beat everyone: Michael Moore is a lying, fat, commie, nazi, pinko rat, left-wing, liberal, psycho, satan worshiping, child eating, hypocrit.
Old 05-13-03, 05:48 PM

Whenever this title comes out, I'll be picking it up. We need more Americans like Michael Moore.

Bowling For Columbine is a bit of truth in an otherwise fictitous culture.
Old 05-13-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by DrOBoogie1
We need more Americans like Michael Moore.
[BANNED]
(at least according to dvdtalk members) I haven't seen the movie or know enough about him to really have an issue.
Old 05-14-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
Originally posted by DrOBoogie1
Bowling For Columbine is a bit of truth in an otherwise fictitous culture.
Old 05-14-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

OK, it's official: it's harder to talk about Moore's work than Lucas's.
Old 05-14-03, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
OK, it's official: it's harder to talk about Moore's work than Lucas's.
Wait until his Polanski doc comes out...
... in fullscreen only

I'm waiting for the release as much as the next guy. It'll be interesting to see my Dad's reaction when he sees it... he's quite the Anti-Bush chap, but still fairly conservative.
Old 05-14-03, 07:39 AM

well

regardless of what people think of Moore, the fact is, the american media does spread fear?

Think of it this way, a lot less people died at sept 11th than originally thought. There have been MUCH worse events in human history than some deal about 2 buildings.

If that was in any other country it would not have been made to such a big deal.

Than even now here in Canada, people freaking out over this SARs thing. Hell, 2000+ people die each year from the flu...no different from this.

Movies like Wag the Dog, Natural Born Killers, etc that try and show the effects of politics, media, etc. To show the point of how people are "brainwashed" are important for us to view and understand.

Then look at Princess Diana dying. Wasn't really the most faithful person. In terms of donations, technically Bill Gates has donated/done more it appears in developing countries, and the day after, Mother Theresa died, yet Diana was all they would show? Probably cause India isn't as rich/powerful overall than other countries. Maybe they couldn't take showing the poor of Calcutta compared to the rich streets of wherever Diana died (not like it matters, she's dust now anyways!)

Moore does have a strong point, not just for guns though, but I think the mainstream media in general. News, newspapers, etc!

Oh well...just a thought!

Sanjay
Old 05-14-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Good points StarFyre, but I thought this thread was about the release of the Bowling For Columbine DVD?
Old 05-14-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by steebo777
I thought this thread was about the release of the Bowling For Columbine DVD?
Ha! No thread is about the release of the Bowling for Columbine DVD.
Old 05-14-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
shhhhh, Sanjay.....reasoned posts detailing the very cogent points brought up in BfC will not be tolerated here at DVDTalk. Rather, please instead focus on the red herrings of Gun Control and Charleton Heston having Parkinson's and leave all this talk of "fear" in the media alone. The majority of dvdtalkers simply are not equipped to deal with that reality that Moore tries to unveil.....thus perpetuating that disturbing reality of pervasive fear mongering fomenting violence and xenophobia amongst friends and neighbors alike.

And I just wish this would get here already. It most assuredly was postponed for more theater time...it was rereleased here for a few weeks.

are there any extras on the R2 release? still hoping for that commentary track!
Old 05-14-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
As long as it is released before August 26th I'll be happy: I want to show a portion of Bowling to my class in the fall.
Old 05-14-03, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by lisadoris
I want to show a portion of Bowling to my class in the fall.
A Brief History of the United States of America?
Old 05-14-03, 06:22 PM
Admin Emeritus

We need to set up forum software so that whenever someone starts up a Bowling For Columbine thread in this forum, there's an automatic post made to stay on topic about the DVD release and not the subject matter. Discussing the subject matter belongs in Other.
Old 05-14-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was a good movie. I enjoyed it. I'm pissed they're postponing though. Hopefully they'll at least add some more features for the upcoming release. Maybe his speech? That'd be nice.
Old 05-14-03, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Static Cling
We need to set up forum software so that whenever someone starts up a Bowling For Columbine thread in this forum, there's an automatic post made to stay on topic about the DVD release and not the subject matter. Discussing the subject matter belongs in Other.
Old 05-24-03, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The DVD is available in Region 2 already. Saw it at Woolworths yesterday.
I have a feeling it was delayed in the US due to pressure from the government or something. Either that or they're working on special features since the R2 version seems to be bare bones.
Old 05-24-03, 06:21 PM

From DavisDVD.com:

» BOWLING FOR COLUMBINE

So that's why it was delayed: Michael Moore will answer those who blasted his Oscar night slam on President Bush when Bowling for Columbine finally comes to stores on August 19th. The MGM disc will feature a new interview with the filmmaker about his Oscar victory and the controversial acceptance speech (the disc will also include a transcript of the speech and accompanying stills from the evening). Among the six hours of additional supplements on the disc will be an introduction to the film by Moore, a feature-length audio commentary by Moore's production office receptionist and interns, other Moore interviews, and a video montage of Moore's appearances at film festivals around the world.
Old 05-25-03, 12:13 AM
Banned

Of course, if you send in a proof of purchase for "Bowling for Columbine" and a receipt of a campaign contribution for Howard Dean, you get a solid iron sickle and hammer! Each one is individually engraved and numbered by a member of the hard-working proletarait so you can show your leftist pride and assuage some of your limousine liberal guilt! Looks great on your mantle place or in your den! Supplies are limited to 666, so order now!

/satire (bordering on reality)

Last edited by svenge; 05-25-03 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-25-03, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by svenge
Of course, if you send in a proof of purchase for "Bowling for Columbine" and a receipt of a campaign contribution for Howard Dean, you get a solid iron sickle and hammer! Each one is individually engraved and numbered by a member of the hard-working proletarait so you can show your leftist pride and assuage some of your limousine liberal guilt! Looks great on your mantle place or in your den! Supplies are limited to 666, so order now!

/satire (bordering on reality)
If you ain't far to the right, you ain't right.

It's as if McCarthy never died....

At least this means we'll soon get another Elvis and Beatles to vex you blycreem, "part hair to the side"guys with soon enough..
Old 05-25-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Michael Moore is a lying, fat, commie, nazi, pinko rat, left-wing, liberal, psycho, satan penis sucking---hey, wait a minute. Someone posted this already. Ok people. Nothing to read here. Move on.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.