Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Good, the Bad and the Ugly AMC Restoration DVD?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-03, 09:59 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates on if and when it might be released? The info page on this site said 2004 at the earliest, I was just wondering if anyone here had heard anything new. I recorded it, of course, and am going to master my own 2-disc DVD set, but I would like an official disc (maybe with the original film and the restoration, ala T2), of course, with the history of the film, bios, etc.
Old 05-12-03, 10:01 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
What's the difference between the restoration and the current DVD?
Old 05-12-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s745GBU.html

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 05-12-03 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-12-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
What's the difference between the restoration and the current DVD?
A. The restoration is... well... restored.

B. There are a few more "found" scenes added in to the film. As well as the DVD deleted scenes being reintegrated, there are a couple more scenes added.

There was an article on this site a while back, if you'd like to search.
Old 05-12-03, 10:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hmm...I watched some of the AMC broadcast and the image quality didn't seem any better than my DVD (which looks great).

So they put back in some of the deleted scenes? Last I heard all they had was the Italian soundtrack for those. How did they redub the audio?
Old 05-12-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm...I watched some of the AMC broadcast and the image quality didn't seem any better than my DVD (which looks great).
Talked to one or two people who said it looked great on their HD sets. Then again, these people say anything looks great on their HD sets.

So they put back in some of the deleted scenes? Last I heard all they had was the Italian soundtrack for those. How did they redub the audio?
Couldn't say. Sat down to watch it the other night and the remote was hijacked.
Old 05-12-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I will stick with my current dvd. I like not having the added scenes in the film and would rather have them as extras on the dvd.When I watched it on AMC the voice change on the characters was very obvious. plus I dont think those scenes add to the movie at all.
Old 05-12-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They actually brought Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, and a Lee Van Cleef sound-alike in and simply did some ADR, and match to, or recaptured wildtrack and voila!
Old 05-12-03, 01:31 PM

>>I will stick with my current dvd. I like not having the added scenes in the film and would rather have them as extras on the dvd.When I watched it on AMC the voice change on the characters was very obvious. plus I dont think those scenes add to the movie at all.
Old 05-12-03, 04:23 PM
Banned

This is the original full length Italian premiere version.

It's making a tour around the country this summer.

It plays in June at the NuArt in Los Angeles.

It is presented in Stereo for the first time.

DVD to come.
Old 05-12-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts
I'm buying the DVD when it comes out. I want to hear the awesome Morricone score in stereo like it should be heard.
Old 05-12-03, 09:39 PM

Stereo? Damn... it may be worth having, then.

But personally I thought the deleted scenes that are on the current DVD didn't really advance the plot at all... cutting them was not that bad an idea.
Old 05-12-03, 10:02 PM

Originally posted by Deke Rivers
I will stick with my current dvd.
same here....but I will add the new one to the library, whenever it arrives.
Old 05-13-03, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
gutwrencher,

You have too many movies.
Old 05-13-03, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
They actually brought Clint Eastwood, Eli Wallach, and a Lee Van Cleef sound-alike in and simply did some ADR, and match to, or recaptured wildtrack and voila!
yea but Eli and Clints voices have changed in 30 some years and it was quite obvious..the stand in for Lee Van Cleef should not quit his day job
Old 05-14-03, 12:56 PM

botched restoration of GBU

I'm probably one of the biggest fans of this film and after appox 50 viewings, know the dialog by heart. So as I excitedly watched the restored version, that excitement quickly turned to horror as I noticed lines of dialog are now completely missing. I pray this can be fixed before an eventual DVD release. I'll try to give some detailed examples. at the 00:23 mark, Blondie is counting reward money with Tuco and his dialog reads "5 for you" "1,2,3,4,5 for me" 5 for you" "and 5 for me". The first two of those lines are now completely inaudible. you can barely hear it in the backround and then it pops back in before the 3rd line. At the 1:47 mark, Angel Eyes calls Blondie into the room after beating Tuco. His line reads "the war's over for you". this line is now inaudible. then in the same scene at the 1:48 mark the dialog drops out again! this time Angel Eyes says "im not greedy, im only taking half". again inaudible. I cant believe they spent the money restoring the movie only to botch the job. help me get the word out so they fix this thing before the DVD comes out!!
Old 05-14-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Rick, if it's that the audio drops out that may be related to your cable/satellite reception and not the restoration itself. Or possibly it's a problem with the network feed.
Old 05-14-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Also, at the very end of the movie, The Ugly yells out "you son of a bitch" But the word Bitch got dropped it sounded like over the music. I haven't watched the dvd in a while to know if they edited it for content or if this is how it was intended.
Old 05-14-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
Also, at the very end of the movie, The Ugly yells out "you son of a bitch" But the word Bitch got dropped it sounded like over the music. I haven't watched the dvd in a while to know if they edited it for content or if this is how it was intended.
Well, every version that I've seen always has Tuco yelling, "Just a dang, son-of-a-(Il Brutto theme que)"

The movie was released a few years before the ratings board came out, so the S.O.B line was still a no-no.

BTW, next time you watch the scene, mute the audio and try to read Wallach's lips. He's CLEARLY saying something else!
Old 05-14-03, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
imdb says he said "a damn mother ****er"
Also, if son of a bitch was a no no, then how come they used it at the begining of the movie when Clint has the Ugly on the horse all tied up.
Old 05-14-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally posted by gutwrencher
same here....but I will add the new one to the library, whenever it arrives.
That's my plan as well, joyfully doubledipping as this is probably one of my 10 favorite movies of all time.

Originally posted by Rick Zaccaro
Blondie is counting reward money with Tuco and his dialog reads "5 for you" "1,2,3,4,5 for me" 5 for you" "and 5 for me".
I'm pretty sure this is how I heard the line Saturday. What's supposed to be missing? Maybe it had something to do with your cable system?

Well, every version that I've seen always has Tuco yelling, "Just a dang, son-of-a-(Il Brutto theme que)"
Same here, I've always heard the music que over the last bit of dialogue. I'll check on my DVD tonight to be 100% sure, though.

Last edited by Ginwen; 05-14-03 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-15-03, 08:12 PM

Does anyone know if AMC will air the restored version again?

I watched the newly restored version on AMC this past Saturday. When I set my VCR to tape the repeat showing a few hours later, I was shocked when it turned out to be the "generic" full-screen version and not the "restored, extended, wide-screen, commercial free" version I had watched earlier on the same channel. Needles to say I felt "gypped." I then looked on the AMC website (http://www.amctv.com/article/0,,1468...-3-EST,00.html )to see why that was. The site does not say when or if the restored version will be aired again. They show repeat airings of TGBU in the "Tune In" but they have all been the standard version. Does anyone know anything?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are a few more "found" scenes added in to the film. As well as the DVD deleted scenes being reintegrated, there are a couple more scenes added.
I noticed in addition to the extended "fighting spirit's in this bottle" dialugue with the union caption, The cuts of the actual fighitng seem to be longer and more graphic.

One detail I've always found amusing about the wide screen versions of that sequence:

After the bridge is blown up and the fighting is over, the camera pans away from Tuco to show "Blondie" surveying the carnage. As the camera pans back we see what appears to be Tuco relieving himself as he walks down the bank toward the river, a "trail" in the sand between his legs.

Haven't heard it any other way either.

Last edited by Ennio Fan; 05-15-03 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-15-03, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Does anyone know if AMC will air the restored version again?

Originally posted by Ennio Fan
I watched the newly restored version on AMC this past Saturday. When I set my VCR to tape the repeat showing a few hours later, I was shocked when it turned out to be the "generic" full-screen version and not the "restored, extended, wide-screen, commercial free" version I had watched earlier on the same channel. Needles to say I felt "gypped." I then looked on the AMC website (http://www.amctv.com/article/0,,1468...-3-EST,00.html )to see why that was. The site does not say when or if the restored version will be aired again. They show repeat airings of TGBU in the "Tune In" but they have all been the standard version. Does anyone know anything?
Tough luck I guess. AMC made it known that its premiere showing would be the only time they showed it uncut, commercial-free, and in widescreen.
Old 07-04-03, 06:03 AM

Something may be happening with this... the longer version has been classified by the Finnish Board of Film Classification (I've highlighted the important parts):

Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The / Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il (Hyvät, pahat ja rumat) / K15 / ES, IT, US 1966 / 4955 m / 181' / Cinema Mondo / Matti Paloheimo, Hanna Happo, Riitta Martsola, Pasi Nyyssönen / 76207 / Erilainen versio. Perustelut: Lajityyppiin kuuluvaa yksityiskohtaista väkivaltaa

The second highlighted bit translates as "alternate version".
Old 07-04-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Of coursesomething's happenign with it! I just bought the current version. It's only a matter of weeks before they release the new one.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.