Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Any word on a special edition of "Forbidden Planet"?

Old 05-12-03, 12:14 AM

I had read at one point that a Special Edition of "The Forbidden Planet" was in the works for release at some point this year. Anyone have any info on this? Thanks.
Old 05-12-03, 01:18 PM

Anyone?
Old 05-12-03, 09:34 PM

I haven't heard anything about this, but I'd certainly love to see a SE of this film.
Old 05-12-03, 09:53 PM
Rest in Peace

Put that on the list along with "The Robe". I have watched "Forbidden Planet" ever since I seen it in 1956, for 25 AKA a quarter at a first run theater 47 years ago.

P.S. Same price to see 20,000 Leagues and THEM in 1954, also "The Creeping Unknown" in 1956
Old 05-12-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

until something new does come our way, I'm getting the oop release with an 8 page booklet....off of e-bay. I recently did the same for the 2010 oop dvd.
Old 05-13-03, 12:00 AM

Is there any quality difference between the MGM and the Warner DVD versions of this film? I mean, apart from the 8-page booklet in the MGM disc?
Old 05-13-03, 08:52 AM

One of the highlights of my cinematic life was seeing this as part of a convention a couple of years ago. The sound had been fully restored, and it was amazing. Love those early Moog/theramin/prototype synth sounds!! Anne Francis even introduced the movie!

Anyway, I haven't heard about an SE, so I'll hang onto my laserdisc until such a day as one emerges.
Old 05-13-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Playitagainsam
Is there any quality difference between the MGM and the Warner DVD versions of this film? I mean, apart from the 8-page booklet in the MGM disc?
Nope, the transfers are identical. MGM is just preferable (to most) because it has the booklet and a keepcase. Warner has no booklet and a snapper.
Old 05-13-03, 04:55 PM

Well, here's a posting from www.thedigitalbits.com ' s Rumor Mill from 10/2001:

"For late 2002 and beyond, the following titles are under consideration [by Warner Bros.]: A Night in Casablanca, The Loved One, Brewster McCloud, Soylent Green, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Best Friends and special editions of Forbidden Planet , Blazing Saddles, Logan's Run, Superman II and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Once Upon a Time in America is currently planned for 2003, along with The Adventures of Robin Hood which is being restored for its 65th anniversary. Finally, be aware that the studio is already at hard work on bringing its much-loved Looney Tunes shorts to DVD, but there's a lot of restoration work that needs to be done first, so don't look for them any time soon

This is where I initally read the news, but haven't heard anything else.