DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Clear and Present Danger SE Question (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/291805-clear-present-danger-se-question.html)

fopaul13 05-11-03 10:28 PM

Clear and Present Danger SE Question

Is anyone else getting some distortion when Jack Ryan is talking to Rose at 1 hour 17 minutes 55 secondish? I get this high distortion only when Ford speaks? Please tell me I'm not the only one... If I am, is this something I could write to Paramount about if I'm the only one, or possibly exchange it for a new one at Best Buy? I got this as part of the new Boxed Set. Any advice would be helpful and thanks!

Laser Movies 05-11-03 11:40 PM

Haven't had a chance to watch that one yet but was the distortion with the DD 5.1 or DTS track? Or was it present with both?

fopaul13 05-12-03 12:38 AM

It was present with both...

Laser Movies 05-12-03 01:06 AM

I was planning on watching this sometime next week and will let you know if I experience any distortion with that part of the film. Also is it possible to try this with a different surround system to see if it can be duplicated on other equipment?

Blade 05-12-03 04:35 AM

My copy (bought in the 4 pack from Costco) sounded just fine on both the DTS and DD.

Is it very noticeable and does the volume make a difference?

I have a Toshiba 3109 player and a Yamaha 2095 receiver if that makes a difference.

highdef 05-12-03 08:44 AM

My copy sounds fine. I bought mine as an individual purchase and not the box set.

fopaul13 05-13-03 12:44 AM

So are there any recommendations on how could I go about getting an exchange at BestBuy? Would they even switch this out with another single SE even though I got this through the box set? Please advise and thanks!

fopaul13 05-13-03 12:48 AM

To Blade: Yeah, it's pretty noticeable. It's when he talks, there's distortion that sounds like high-pitched static mixed in with his talking. I don't think it's the volume, since I tried it at low volumes and had the same results. I have a Sony HTITB (sorry, i know i know, it was cheap...), but never got this kind of ANNOYING sound before...any help is again appreciated...

gutwrencher 05-13-03 01:12 AM

Originally posted by highdef
My copy sounds fine. I bought mine as an individual purchase and not the box set.
same here.....good luck.

Blade 05-13-03 03:44 AM

Originally posted by fopaul13
To Blade: Yeah, it's pretty noticeable. It's when he talks, there's distortion that sounds like high-pitched static mixed in with his talking. I don't think it's the volume, since I tried it at low volumes and had the same results. I have a Sony HTITB (sorry, i know i know, it was cheap...), but never got this kind of ANNOYING sound before...any help is again appreciated...
Nothing wrong with HTITB...I think those things are pretty neat, and keep wanting to get one for the bedroom. :)

I'd take it back to whereever you got the DVDs and just exchange the whole set. This sounds more like a problem with the disc than your equipment.

Good luck.

Laser Movies 05-17-03 01:57 AM

Finally played my copy and it didn't have any noticeable distortion. Did you exchange the DVD to find out if that was the problem?

TomOpus 05-17-03 09:36 AM

Originally posted by fopaul13
So are there any recommendations on how could I go about getting an exchange at BestBuy? Would they even switch this out with another single SE even though I got this through the box set? Please advise and thanks!
Like Blade said, take the whole box back. I got the Criterion box of Kurosawa DVDS and none of them had UPCs, so you couldn't take 'em back individually. This could be the same situation.