Stupid ad for the J6P's out there

Community
Search

Stupid ad for the J6P's out there

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-03, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Dammit
You know, it's possible that they've just given a punchy marketing name to a feature a lot of dvd players already have and that's the ability to scale a LETTERBOX (ie; non-anamorphic) WS movie. My dvd player does this and it works very well with a WS tv. A letterbox dvd will look squished vertically without it or force you to use the tv's 4:3 zoom function which tends to not look as good.
Actually, now that I think about it, pretty much all dvd' players can do this on a 4:3 tv by simply setting the dvd players display options to 16x9 which will stretch a 1:85 dvd to fill a 4:3 screen. They probably just added a button on the remote that performs this function despite it being intended for widescreen TV's..
Old 05-12-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally posted by RKillgore
"ELIMINATE the 'ugly black' bars", huh? Another example of the subversive ways The Man is keeping the Nubian brothers and sisters down! [/Hooper X}
What's a Nubian?
Old 05-12-03, 06:09 PM
Suspended

The "Letterbox Eliminator"??

Sounds like some new action hero.
Old 05-12-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cultshock
What's a Nubian?
Bitch, you almost made me laugh.
Old 05-12-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,193 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally posted by RKillgore
Bitch, you almost made me laugh.
Old 05-13-03, 03:36 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
"Let the rabble have their Tar-Tar sauce..."

If every J6P had one of these devices, the studios would be free to release all films in 16:9 widescreen. That way the idiots could suffer for their idiocy and the rest of us could enjoy our OAR.

And ten points for the source of the quote above.

-- Jough
Old 05-13-03, 04:29 AM

Originally posted by jough
"Let the rabble have their Tar-Tar sauce..."
That's from my black bar-less DVD of The Simpsons Season 2. Question is...what will the letterbox lyncher do to a full screen DVD?
Old 05-13-03, 10:44 AM
Cool New Member

I'm personally waiting for the J6P revolt of 2010. That's when all the analog Curtis Mathis sets are going to break down, and J6P will be forced to buy a 16:9 set.

Then, to his shock and surprize, those annoying black bars are going to appear on the SIDES of all of his "fullscreen" movies. Only then will he see the error of his ways.

He'll have to live with the side bars, rebuy Days of Thunder and Smokey and the Bandit, or zoom-in and just watch torsos.

BUT, if he buys the letterbox eliminator today, he can buy future-proof widescreen movies.

Brad
Old 05-13-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I wonder if this feature stays on. Then when they put in a P&S Dvd they will zoom in on that eliminating even more of the picture

Maybe this will start a new trend of people wanting to have super Pan& Scan dvd's released where all you see is heads or mouths talking
Old 05-13-03, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
You know what I don't comprehend? If people out there don't understand why widescreen movies have black bars, how is it they realize the benefits of owning a DVD player?

I mean - DVD originally seemed like a concept for videophiles such as myself with discerning tastes. I remember when I first got into DVD, and it seemed like a lot of people had never even heard of it. I considered those people Joe Six Packs.

But now the tastes of J6Ps all over this land have been redefined so they know what a DVD is and they WANT the quality offered by DVD - only not in the original theatrical framing. It never made any sense to me, and I still don't get it.
Old 05-13-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Stupid ad for the J6P's out there

Originally posted by collven
"EZ View letter-box eliminator allows you to drop ugly black letter-box bars with 1 touch".
Even though I am white, I am still offended by the racial insensitivity of calling anything black ugly. Anyone around during the 60's remembers the catch-phrase "Black is Beautiful Baby"
Old 05-13-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't read the whole thread, thus I didn't realize someone beat me to a joke. Nevermind, edited for my stupidity.

Last edited by cerial442; 05-13-03 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-13-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
On the other hand, maybe this will finally be a useful tool in educating the public on how much picture they lose if they switch back and forth from widescreen to pan & scan.
Old 05-13-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is that the same Best Buy ad that's featured in their catalog that came in the mail? Because it also showed FULL SCREEN Theatrical Edition LOTR:FOTR DVDs flying out of a JVC DVD player.

Nice.

Last edited by darqleo; 05-13-03 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-13-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We need to enlist a major Hollywood director to the widescreen DVD cause. The idea would be for him to film a major must-own blockbuster film in which all of the action--nudity, violence, character development, rampant swearing--happens on the periphery of every frame. The middle 90 percent of each frame would just contain a pile of bricks, or maybe a sleeping horse. This would force everyone to buy the widescreen version of the DVD, though many on this forum would double-dip on the full-frame version for the exclusive sleeping horse commentary.
Old 05-13-03, 04:47 PM

I find that the J6Ps appetite for P&S DVDs can be directly attributable to the cinematography used in filming television series for the 4:3 screens.
I mean have you looked at the way that they frame and shoot soap operas? Its all about the emoting of the actors through their facial features. P&S accomplishes the same effect.
Now while the Letterbox Eliminator may remove the "ugly black bars" it will NOT maintain accurate framing by recentering the action on screen.
Old 05-13-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah, when he watches the movie ben hur, he will wonder "I'm hearing voices, but where are they?"
Old 05-14-03, 03:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by illennium
We need to enlist a major Hollywood director to the widescreen DVD cause. The idea would be for him to film a major must-own blockbuster film in which all of the action--nudity, violence, character development, rampant swearing--happens on the periphery of every frame. The middle 90 percent of each frame would just contain a pile of bricks, or maybe a sleeping horse. This would force everyone to buy the widescreen version of the DVD, though many on this forum would double-dip on the full-frame version for the exclusive sleeping horse commentary.
Ok...put the crack pipe down now.

hahahaha. :-)

I hear the slipping horse commentary rivals that of Cannibal: The Musical. So it's a must.