DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Oscar Screeners (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/291779-oscar-screeners.html)

typecase 05-11-03 07:42 PM

Oscar Screeners

Is there a legal way to get Academy Screener DVDs (besides the obvious being a member of the academy)? I only ask because collecting them seems kind of interesting but they are forbidden on ebay. Also they (screener DVDs) havent' been around for that long have they? I know "the academy" used to send the majority of their material out on tape only a few years ago.

Also here's a question for those that have the screener DVD of LOTR: Two Towers: A friend of mine bought a LOTR bootleg DVD on Ebay that claimed to have been mastered from an 16X9 transfer from the Academy screener. The bootleg was not anamorphic but did seem to be mastered from a screener. I realize there's lots of risk in buying a bootleg and perhaps my friend has learned his lesson, but I would think that the original New Line screener would have been anamorphic. Was it? If so, couldn't those feisty bootleggers just have made a clone of it? Wouldn't this be easier than remastering it to non-anamorphic?

Jackskeleton 05-11-03 08:10 PM

Screener DVD's have been around for about 2 years or so. before they were of course on VHS. selling them is of course illegal because in a sense, those who get it do not "own it" as it is still the property of said studio and they can ask for them back whenever they want (though they never do). The best way to get screeners.. Know the members. Most of them just throw them out or give them away. Other ways of course is know those selling them. Go to flea markets or just know people "in the know". I would stay away from ebay auctions as you will be getting a bootleg 99.99999% of the time. So it's not really legal to buy them at all. Not sure how you would really be able to get them other then by under the table means.

As for making copies.. you do realize that these disc are HUGE in size and can't simply be cloned without some loss of quality.

marty888 05-11-03 09:04 PM

Re: Oscar Screeners

Originally posted by typecase
Is there a legal way to get Academy Screener DVDs (besides the obvious being a member of the academy)? I only ask because collecting them seems kind of interesting but they are forbidden on ebay.

No, there is no way to legally get screeners. I don't really see why anyone would <i>want</i> to get screeners (other than for their intended purpose), since the only extra is the "this is a not-for-sale screener" type message that will show up every 8-10 minutes throughout the entire movie.

mlindber 05-11-03 09:18 PM

The screener was anamorphic and had 5.1 audio

pdjennings 05-11-03 09:37 PM

It's funny how in the past year or two... ebay bootleggers/scammers have adopted the term "screener" to their products ... because it sounds more legit & alluring. You're apt to find very few TRUE, original screeners on ebay.... as most of the people who rightfully receive them are professional enough not to sell them. (Plus... it's prohibited and can get your ass kicked out of whatever organization you represent.)

I'll admit... they are cool to have... and I proudly collect the ones that I am sent ... but I would never, never, ever part with them. It's up to you whether or not it's worth it to you to buy one,...but I would be very very sure of it's authenticity before I bought one from ebay.

Unless you're collector.... they really aren't that big a deal,.... since whatever movie it is will surely be available to purchase on DVD in the not too distant future.

typecase 05-11-03 09:38 PM

Re: Re: Oscar Screeners

Originally posted by marty888
I don't really see why anyone would <i>want</i> to get screeners (other than for their intended purpose), since the only extra is the "this is a not-for-sale screener" type message that will show up every 8-10 minutes throughout the entire movie.
Actually, the screener for Road to Perdition had extras on it that the actual DVD release did not, for example, a tribute to cinematographer Conrad Hall. That extra is unlikely to show up elsewhere, which makes the screener valuable.

harosa 05-11-03 09:49 PM

It becomes more a matter of getting something that, for some movies, is still playing in theatres or have a pretty good copy many months in advance. I got a screener off Ebay for The Two Towers because I really wanted to see the movie again at home so I picked one up in Jan, thats 8 months before it comes out, and of course I'll get the legit one and the Extended Edition in Nov. And hey, it was widescreen, had a great picture and the little For Your Consideration every half an hour or so was no bother to me.

Jackskeleton 05-11-03 10:28 PM

Yeah, now a days the "For your consideration" tag line doesn't show up as often. It also depends on the film. They do not want to ruin the chances of you voting for the film by annoying you with it. then again in widescreen, most studios use the black area to place the image anyhow.

TomOpus 05-11-03 10:33 PM

There's a guy at one of the swap meets out here that'll have a screener for sale from time to time.... along with a few boots.

Peep 05-12-03 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Yeah, now a days the "For your consideration" tag line doesn't show up as often. It also depends on the film. They do not want to ruin the chances of you voting for the film by annoying you with it. then again in widescreen, most studios use the black area to place the image anyhow.
I disagree. The vast majority of screeners I've seen have the warning on the picture itself. It would be stupid not to. The studios are less concerned with somebody selling that particular DVD of the movie than they are of somebody copying it and mass-producing bootlegs. It would be very easy for people to "mask out" the warning if it didn't appear on the picture itself.

duz 05-12-03 05:52 PM

plus if its anamorphic, you can't put anything in the black bars

Gallant Pig 05-12-03 09:03 PM

bootleg discussion not permitted thanks