Search

The Glenn Miller Story

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Glenn Miller Story

Hi there,

I recently picked up a wonderful film i've been waiting for. I have question though, I was expecting a 4:3 release. According to the IMDB, it was filmed in acadmey ratio listed as 1.37:1

It was released in 1953 so it actually could have been filmed in 1.85:1 (but I tend to doubt this).

Anyway, in looking at the film, the opening credits appear to be in the correct ratio, but there are a few scenes that should evidence that the film is cropped.

The dvd transfer is not that good either, and shows lots of artifacts and color shifts, so no serious restoration job has been done.

I suspect strongly that this film is cropped, and may even be Video transfer to DVD. Has anyone got comments on this?

I hope this isn't a trend.

Jim
Old 05-12-03, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you are correct about the DVD being cropped, but have not heard anyone else mention it. I thought it was strange that the OAR was listed as 1.37:1 and it was released in 1.85:1 widescreen. I previously owned the laserdisc version which was 1.33:1 but unfortunately sold it before purchasing the DVD. Wish I still had it to compare to the DVD.

I also purchased the Benny Goodman Story which was originally scheduled to be released with the Glenn Miller Story as a double feature DVD. I noticed the DVD looked severely cropped on several scenes but don't know what the actual aspect ratio was of the film. The DVD was released in a 1.33:1 ratio. It looks like both of these films were butchered.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 05-12-03 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-12-03, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, looks like. It amazes me how even the industry that produces discs DOESN*T get it! They are getting a nasty gram from me. I think I'll demand a refund of the film that I didn't receive :-)

Jim

PS; and glad they delayed Benny Goodman story. I'll suggest they shove that one up their collective wazzoos.
Old 05-12-03, 10:16 PM

Fast:

They delayed "Benny Goodman"?, hmmmm I got my copy. At Border's

Skip
Old 05-13-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

skipnet, any comments on the disc quality? Delayed yes, but its out now I think. I just seemed to take longer to get to market, maybe it wasn't actualy delayed. But it hasn't shown up at dv-depot yet.
Old 05-13-03, 10:09 AM

Print quality is fair, certainly not the best I have seen. Benny Goodman could certainly benefit from a restoration, but I consider this unlikely in the forseeable future. However, that said given the age of the film it is not bad and certainly is a worthy addition to my large film library.

Skip