Castle in the Sky glitch?

Old 05-10-03, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Castle in the Sky glitch?

*WARNING: LIGHT SPOILERS ABOUT FILM BEGINNING*

I bought the 3 Miyazaki releases on 4/15, but haven't had an opportunity to watch them yet. I popped Castle in the Sky in the other day and noticed that at at the beginning right before the sky pirates attacked the ship, when the crew sees the pirates and then run to warn the boss, that there is no dialogue. There is a shot from outside the window where you see the young girl and the European looking villian(?) and his lips move, but there wasn't any dialogue. I was listening to the Japanese track and my confusion came when this sequence played and there was no audible dialogue, I thought it was an artistic decision. I had forgotten to select the subtitles on the menu and turned them on from my remote and during this non-dialogue sequence, there flashed some subtitles. I apologize for the vagueness, but because of this problem I haven't watched the movie yet and haven't seen it before so my desciption is based on memory of a sequence. Any help ASAP is appreciated as I only have a few more days to exchange at Best Buy if this is a glitch.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-03, 08:16 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with your disc. Mine did the same thing. I think since, as you said, the shot is form outside a window, you're not supposed to hear anything. Maybe subtitles were recorded since us dumb American audiences can't figure out why you wouldn't be able to hear though glass.
Old 05-10-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are two subtitle tracks on the disc. The first subtitle track is a 'dubtitle,' meaning it subtitles the English dub track, which is very different from the Japanese track.

The second subtitle track is the literal translation of the Japanese soundtrack. If you switched to the 2nd track, you'd notice there are no subtitles shown during that scene.
Old 05-11-03, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Jay has it right I think. There re a couple of brief segments at the beginning of the film where there's no sound apart from airship noises. As usual Disney decided to insert dialogue or music into the dub.