DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Has Star Trek 5: the Final Frontier 2 disc SE been announced yet? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/291513-has-star-trek-5-final-frontier-2-disc-se-been-announced-yet.html)

Rocky_Stallone 05-10-03 07:25 AM

Has Star Trek 5: the Final Frontier 2 disc SE been announced yet?

I'm looking at StarTrek.com and I can't find anything on the upcoming Star Trek V 2 disc SE.

I really want that movie. I'm trying to collect all 10 Star Trek films. :)

bboisvert 05-10-03 08:05 AM

It has not been officially announced yet, although Shatner has completed his commentary track. I definitely expect it soon.

darkflounder 05-10-03 08:11 AM

I was hoping for a true directors cut. According to Shatner, Paramount butchered the movie. I'd actually like to see what Shatner really wanted to do in editing, just to see if the movie would suck less.

I'm sorta interested in ST5, just because the city on the dry lake bed (Paradise, I seem to recall, can't remember) and the rock formation used for the ending are right around my home town, and I've got several friends that were extras in the movie.

I'm really interested in a possible Directors Cut of The Undiscovered Country, the only other truly good Trek movie next to Wrath of Khan.

acostigan 05-10-03 09:26 AM

I'm anxious for ST5 just to complete the 2-disc SEs of the original crew. I just hope Shatner's commentary isn't all bitching and moaning about problems during production of the film ;)

danol 05-10-03 10:07 AM

Deserts, fighting hand to hand, and going to a planet looking for God, just don't interest me in a 2 dsc set. Best thing about the movie was Uhura's naked to the dark moonlight dance. LOL :)

Brak55 05-10-03 10:17 AM

Originally posted by acostigan
I'm anxious for ST5 just to complete the 2-disc SEs of the original crew. I just hope Shatner's commentary isn't all bitching and moaning about problems during production of the film ;)
Wasn't ST6 (Undiscovered Country) also the original crew?

evenswr 05-10-03 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Brak55
Wasn't ST6 (Undiscovered Country) also the original crew?
True, but in order to complete the set of the original crew, one must also buy ST5: SE.

Josh-da-man 05-10-03 01:51 PM

What would they include on the second disc? Besides an apology.

(I keed, I keed...)

Mr. Cornell 05-10-03 03:28 PM

I would really like to see this one recut, since the theatrical version was so incredibly awful, but that's not likely considering it was such a bomb.

Still, the sooner they get this set out, the sooner they can get to work on ST6.... ;)

(No, I'm not planning on *buying* ST5, are you kidding me?? I'm going to pretend it never happened...)

Bacon 05-10-03 03:50 PM

I just hope ST 7 8 and 9 get the 2 disc treatment as well

d2cheer 05-10-03 05:51 PM

Does anyone know what Shatner's cut would have changed??

FatTony 05-11-03 04:04 AM

Originally posted by d2cheer
Does anyone know what Shatner's cut would have changed??
The suck coefficient.

Ejunior2 05-11-03 09:22 AM

I guess I'll dissent. I kinda liked this one. It's not great but it's better than the "There be whales here Captn'" IMHO.

Besides, it's got some great one liners and inside jokes. I busted up the first time I saw Scotty saying he knew the 'new' ship like the back of his hand and then bumping his head. Classic inside joke on his getting on in years. Or, Kirk's questioning God's need of a starship. Classic! True, the effects stunk but.... come on, do you not remember the flimsy cardboard sets of the original series?

Just my 2 cents.

SeanValen 05-11-03 09:27 AM

The campfire scene in Trek 5 with Kirk, Mcoy and Spock, is one of the best scenes they shared together, and that scene alone is worth a purcahse I say, the Kirk/Spock and Mcoy triangle is focused on, some very dramatic acting and amusing moments.

DavidH 05-11-03 01:00 PM

I liked ST5 too, but a new anamorphic transfer is needed. I hope it's announced soon.

gutwrencher 05-11-03 01:42 PM

Originally posted by DavidH
I liked ST5 too, but a new anamorphic transfer is needed. I hope it's announced soon.
ditto.

SergeantPinback 05-12-03 07:26 AM

Originally posted by danol
Deserts, fighting hand to hand, and going to a planet looking for God, just don't interest me in a 2 dsc set. Best thing about the movie was Uhura's naked to the dark moonlight dance. LOL :)
:yack: :yack: :yack: :yack: :yack:

SergeantPinback 05-12-03 07:28 AM

Originally posted by evenswr
True, but in order to complete the set of the original crew, one must also buy ST5: SE.
Uh oh.... I'm gonna have an UNcomplete set...... ;)

mythmaker18 05-12-03 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Ejunior2
I busted up the first time I saw Scotty saying he knew the 'new' ship like the back of his hand and then bumping his head.
That's one of the things the really made me hate the movie. I basically turned "Trek" into a parody of itself. The humour of IV fit better, IMO, than the "forced" humour in V.

And don't get me started on Scotty and Uhura's declaring their new-found "love" for one another.

There were also some other comments in the script that were just plain stupid (like Kirk saying, out of the blue, "I miss my old chair"). I guess they were trying to make Kirk look sentimental or something, but it just looked like they wrote that for the fanboys.

I really think that they should let Shatner re-edit the movie, though. As someone else said, maybe it would suck less and without new footage, there's not much reason for many of us to buy it, as it is seen as, perhaps, the worst Trek movie in the series.

After VI, I really hope we get to see the cut/deleted scenes on the "Generations" disc somewhere...

Josh Z 05-12-03 10:32 AM

Originally posted by darkflounder
I was hoping for a true directors cut. According to Shatner, Paramount butchered the movie.
It isn't that they 'butchered' the movie, so much as that they cut his budget and wouldn't let him film some things that he wanted to film.

In order to create a Director's Cut, Paramount would have to fund the creation of new footage like they did for STI. They reasoned (correctly) that the movie does not have enough sales potential to merit such an expense.

I'm really interested in a possible Directors Cut of The Undiscovered Country, the only other truly good Trek movie next to Wrath of Khan.
The existing home video editions of ST VI are the "Director's Cut", with a few extra minutes of footage not seen theatrically.

jough 05-13-03 03:28 AM

You know, I thought ST:5 was awful too when it first came out.

Then the Next Generation cast started making movies, which were TRULY awful.

Now Star Trek 5 is looking pretty dang good in comparison.

Check out www.williamshatner.com for updates. Bill's pretty good about keeping us posted, and if you have a question about it he answers a lot of posts on his message boards. :)

-- Jough

DVD Polizei 05-13-03 05:26 AM

I wish Shatner would come back and do more Star Trek movies. Yeah, I know, he died, but still. The new Star Trek cast has always left a geeky aftertaste in my mouth.

Panda Phil 05-13-03 06:56 AM

Originally posted by jough
You know, I thought ST:5 was awful too when it first came out.

Then the Next Generation cast started making movies, which were TRULY awful.

Now Star Trek 5 is looking pretty dang good in comparison.

-- Jough

Well, apart from First Contact I'd say I have to agree with you.

Still not touching ST:5 with a ten foot pole however.

Chew 05-13-03 07:05 AM

Originally posted by DVD Polizei
I wish Shatner would come back and do more Star Trek movies. Yeah, I know, he died, but still. The new Star Trek cast has always left a geeky aftertaste in my mouth.
Just listened to the STIV commentary the other day, both Shatner and Nimoy sounded disappointed no further movies where made with the original cast (Nimoy says he even wanted to follow up with Spock on Romulus).

duz 05-13-03 07:33 AM

The guy that edited the suck factor down in Phantom Menace by removing JarJar scenes also did the same thing with ST5. Not removing JarJar, editing down the suck. I watched it and it seems a pretty good job, of course the original wasn't _that_ bad, but still.