Red Dwarf Bews: Season III & IV bits...

Old 05-10-03, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Red Dwarf News: Season III & IV bits...

Posted on the official site today...

Some days, I have to say, I really love this job.

In a flurry of controlled panic, and under the dutiful eye of watch-tapping producer Helen Norman, I've been directing the all-new Red Dwarf III and IV cast and crew interviews. Over two days last week - Tuesday, April 29th and Thursday, May 1st - the corridors of our Shepperton offices have been frantic with the first stages of production activity.

Among those subjected to a Flibble-free interrogation so far have been regular cast of III and IV, Chris Barrie, Robert Llewellyn and Hattie Hayridge. We've also roped in behind the scenes talent - Peter Wragg (special effects), and director Ed Bye.

No doubt you'll have noticed that some key names are missing here. With Doug Naylor currently overseeing movie work in Australia, his interview has been pushed back until later in production. With Craig Charles busy as ever, and Danny John-Jules off on holiday, we'll catch them both later.

So there's still a way to go. We're hoping to snatch some time with Andrea Finch (make-up), Howard Burden (costume) and Mike Agnew (production manager). Fingers are also crossed for Gordon "Hudzen" Kennedy and Tony "Caligula" Hawks. Sadly, some 'wish list' names - Clayton Mark, Judy Pascoe, Ruby Wax and Emile Charles among them - were unavailable, but there's already looking to be a huge amount of material to choose from.

Aside from the evil A316 conspiring to make Chris late, the fact that someone on the floor above seemed to be wearing concrete boots when he walked about, and the lights going out at one point when a fuse blew, the shoot went very smoothly. Plus we got to see Ed arrive on his motorbike - always a joy.

Best of all, this takes us on a huge step from the Launching Red Dwarf documentary that accompanied Series I. No longer are we relying, in part, on archived interviews - these are all-new, season-specific and in-depth. The motto remains the same: 'Even better than last time.'

But to discover the stories told and, um, revelations revealed, fans will have to wait until the DVDs are released. In the meantime, at Grant Naylor we're preparing for the awesome job of editing this material into shape. It's time to enter the darkened room.

More DVD Details will follow soon...

Last edited by Rammsteinfan; 05-12-03 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-10-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That's great bews!

Thanks!!
Old 05-10-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why does it take them so long to produce these? They lost my sale.
Old 05-10-03, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also see here:

http://www.reddwarf.co.uk/deck01/dvd..._4_110403.html

It also looks like the 'Backwards' episode from Series 3 will be included in reverse on the DVD as an extra because this was recently certified by the British Board of Film Censors. See here:

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classi...f?OpenDocument
Old 05-10-03, 02:51 PM
Mox

Awesome news! Thanks for the post! I can't wait!
Old 05-10-03, 03:10 PM

Why does it take them so long to produce these? They lost my sale
You're right. How dare they put brand new interviews in the set and commentaries on every episode. They should just churn them out like the "Friends" sets. I for one don't want a good product, I just want it now.

Yes this is sarcasm.
Old 05-10-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey man- I like Red Dwarf just as much as anybody, but a year between each set in the US is way too long. It's not like there are 20+ episodes a season to put out.

They can do a quality production and still get them out faster.
Old 05-10-03, 04:31 PM

It's your right not to buy them. And it's their right to schedule them for release, 2 seasons each year.

Would it be better if they released 1 season every 6 months, instead of the 2 seasons together? Doensn't matter to me. Just wondering.
Old 05-10-03, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont mind waiting as long as they produce a quality product.

It seems like the people making these DVD's really love the show, so they have my money when they are released.

And besides you can always see the shows on VHS (or Kazaa ) while your waiting.
Old 05-11-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Eric F
Hey man- I like Red Dwarf just as much as anybody,
Evidently not as you say you're not buying it when it comes out.
but a year between each set in the US is way too long.
Nevermind that the yearly release is two series worth. Good thing you aren't watching British series first-hand, where the broadcasts of the series can be several years apart. It happened to Red Dwarf, AbFab, Black Adder, Dr. Who, Fawlty Towers, probably a lot more I don't know about.
Personally, I was disappointed that we didn't get the November/February releases like R2 and R4 at first. But November is usually such a heavy month and by the time I'm caught up from that, it's February. Lo and behold, there are two series of Red Dwarf ready at that time. And considering that I'm about halfway through watching all the extra material from the first release, I would say the timing is not unbearable.
Old 05-11-03, 11:25 AM

Huh? You are going to stop liking the show by the time these come out next year?

The MTV Generation has taken over DVDTalk.
Old 05-11-03, 01:17 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They're worth the wait, but they should of released atleast 3-4 season's a year. Surely they could acheive that in one year. I hate waiting like everyone else, but oh well, what can you do?
Old 05-12-03, 10:53 AM

Wow, you have nothing else to occupy yourself during the interim? I'm sorry, but that attitude is smegging ridiculous. If it's quality - Red Dwarf, Simpsons, Doctor Who, the first three Star Wars films, whatever - watch it and move on. Don't sit there waiting at the mailbox for the next set. Don't agonize on internet forums, hitting the refresh button hoping for a new tidbit.
Old 05-12-03, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey, it's my money- lighten up. That's what forums are for- expressing your opinion.

Personally I'd like these things to come out while I'm interested in them. Starting to watch something and then having a year or more between episodes is not exactly convinient. My concern is that things happen, and during 3yr release schedule something might prevent the release of the full set- trickling out 12 episodes a year just isn't enough to hold my attention. I'll might reconsider once they're all available.

I feel exactly the same way with other boxed sets like SG-1. There's a build-up, and then the set arrives, I watch it, want more- and then have to wait a year. Sort of defeats the purpose of collections.
Old 05-12-03, 11:28 AM

Like I've always said, I'd rather a DVD be done right rather than rushed out the door.
Old 05-12-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by evenswr
That's great bews!

Thanks!!
How come I never noticed the bad title until today... ?!

Damn, that's great bews! Can I not edit the thread title?!