DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   What is your favorite independent film and is it on DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/291376-what-your-favorite-independent-film-dvd.html)

BuckeyeDawg 05-09-03 01:28 PM

What is your favorite independent film and is it on DVD?

For me I have to go with ...

Six-String Samurai
http://www.sixstringsamurai.com/

released by Palm Pictures

Pants 05-09-03 01:49 PM

Attack of the Clones

BuckeyeDawg 05-09-03 01:55 PM

Is there a film of the same name as Episode II? Because that certainly can't be considered an independent film, since it was released by a major motion picture company.

F For Fake 05-09-03 02:06 PM

Originally posted by BuckeyeDawg
Is there a film of the same name as Episode II? Because that certainly can't be considered an independent film, since it was released by a major motion picture company.
I believe it was distributed by 20thCenturyFox, but it was fully independently financed by Lucas, was it not?

F For Fake 05-09-03 02:08 PM

BTW, my favorite indie film is 'Halloween', and yes, it is available in a veritable assload of different dvd editions.

gutwrencher 05-09-03 02:11 PM

Toxic Avenger

lesterlong 05-09-03 02:45 PM

Really don't know what would be considered as an independent film. I assume you mean independently financed. Or do you mean released and distributed independently? If going with the first one, I would think Attack of the Clones would be an acceptable answer.

DiscGuy 05-09-03 02:53 PM

Robert Altman's "3 Women" (1977) with Sissy Spacek and Shelley Duvall. Produced by Lions Gate Films, Inc.

One of my favorites!!!!

danol 05-09-03 03:00 PM

Eddie and the Cruisers 2: Eddie Lives

Eddie and the Cruisers 2: Eddie Lives 1989. Made in Canada by Canadian Investors Group No 7 and Company. I and quite a few others are waiting for this, to be released in DVD. OAR and Dolby Stereo sound mix as stated by *IMDb*. We believe it's better than the original in 1983.

BuckeyeDawg 05-09-03 03:05 PM

Well, I don't know how I would define independent film. When I think of independent films, I think of movies, that were non-mainstream, produced or released by some of the smaller unknown production companies. The type of films you would see on Independent Film Channel - released at some of the smaller film festivals, things like that. Does that help in terms of a definition?

Dabaomb 05-09-03 03:10 PM

BETTER LUCK TOMORROW & it's in theaters now.

You gotta respect a director, Justin Lin, who maxed out 10 credit cards to make this movie.

Plus, that Virgil character was hilarious. He reminded me of Cheddar Bob in 8 Mile.

Can't wait to see all the extras on the DVD when it comes out.

Here's a thread on it in the Movie Talk Forum.

Better Luck Tomorrow

F For Fake 05-09-03 03:19 PM

Well, I don't know how I would define independent film. When I think of independent films, I think of movies, that were non-mainstream, produced or released by some of the smaller unknown production companies. The type of films you would see on Independent Film Channel - released at some of the smaller film festivals, things like that. Does that help in terms of a definition?
You may be better served by terms such as 'arthouse' or 'alternative', although I don't care for them myself. Your question seems to be more in line with the non-mainstream QUALITY of the film, whereas the term 'independent' should really only refer to the manner in which financing was accomplished for a feature, as opposed to being a comment on the content of said picture.

Pants 05-09-03 03:22 PM

It is a totally independently financed film. Lucasfilm actually pays 20th Century Fox to handle the distribution for them rather than the other way around.

Acid_Bath2 05-09-03 04:36 PM

Girlfight
Clerks

ctyankee 05-09-03 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Pants
It is a totally independently financed film. Lucasfilm actually pays 20th Century Fox to handle the distribution for them rather than the other way around.
While there is no clear cut definition of an independent film it's generally considered to be made and financed without a movie studios support, assets or backing. Since, Lucasfilm is not just a production company but has people on salary working on movie projects in his offices/studio it clearly wouldn't be considered an independent film.

To my mind, an example of an independent film is Living in Oblivion. Terrific film and cast and now on DVD (also on tonight if you get IFC) Many in the cast not only worked for free - they gave their own money to the project because they believe in it and wanted to see it made.

Pants 05-09-03 04:49 PM

Originally posted by ctyankee
While there is no clear cut definition of an independent film it's generally considered to be made and financed without a movie studios support, assets or backing. Since, Lucasfilm is not just a production company but has people on salary working on movie projects in his offices/studio it clearly wouldn't be considered an independent film.

Independent film means financed outside of Hollywood and free of Hollywood interference. Lucas is in northern California, finances the films out of pocket, and exercises sole control over them.

By your logic if I wanted to make a film and I rented an office, called it Pants Productions, and put a screenwriter, an editor, and a cinematographer on salary, I would no longer be independent, because now I'm a production company.

Lucas defines independent. His project, his money, no interference from anyone.

In fact he is the only true independent. Most other "indies" are dependant on studios or boutiques to "pick up" their films. Most Indie filmmakers may finance their films out of pocket, but they only do it in the hopes of getting piked up. Lucas doesn't have to sweat that.

Lucas is so independent that the only thing keeping him from being more independent is anti-trust laws. If it weren't for them he could build "George Lucas Theaters" and be the sole distributor and exhibitor of his own films so that he could get all the popcorn money and 100% of the Box Office take :)

FatTony 05-09-03 05:40 PM

Originally posted by lesterlong
I would think Attack of the Clones would be an acceptable answer.
Well the question was "What is your favorite independent film...?"

No one should answer Attack of the Clones. :D

ctyankee 05-09-03 08:40 PM

Originally posted by Pants
Independent film means financed outside of Hollywood and free of Hollywood interference. Lucas is in northern California, finances the films out of pocket, and exercises sole control over them.

By your logic if I wanted to make a film and I rented an office, called it Pants Productions, and put a screenwriter, an editor, and a cinematographer on salary, I would no longer be independent, because now I'm a production company.

Lucas defines independent. His project, his money, no interference from anyone.

In fact he is the only true independent. Most other "indies" are dependant on studios or boutiques to "pick up" their films. Most Indie filmmakers may finance their films out of pocket, but they only do it in the hopes of getting piked up. Lucas doesn't have to sweat that.

Lucas is so independent that the only thing keeping him from being more independent is anti-trust laws. If it weren't for them he could build "George Lucas Theaters" and be the sole distributor and exhibitor of his own films so that he could get all the popcorn money and 100% of the Box Office take :)

Don't change my words by this renting office space nonsense.

Lucas is paying people yearly salaries and he owns his own buildings whether he makes a movie or not. What does the physical location of where his offices are have anything to do with it? Why this Hollywood centric view of making movies?

By your definition, Canal Plus makes independent movies just because they aren't in Hollywood.

So, I guess since AOL Time Warner is based in NYC they make independent films ..... right ;)

mikeporter 05-09-03 09:21 PM

My top 5 (in no particular order):
Memento
Donnie Darko
Boondock Saints
Roger & Me
Hoop Dreams

Father Merrin 05-09-03 10:19 PM

Ghost Dog

Samuel 05-09-03 10:23 PM

Bottle Rocket is one of my favorites. It's on dvd but needs a better release with some commentary and other goodies like with Wes Andersons other gems.

gutwrencher 05-09-03 10:24 PM

update on my choice. slip Toxic Avenger to 2nd....and slam Night of the Living Dead into the top notch.:D

Mondo Kane 05-09-03 10:38 PM

One of my favorites is still missing on DVD, Mi Vida Loca

boc4ever 05-09-03 10:55 PM

Happiness or Meet the Feebles, and yes to both...

aphex944 05-09-03 11:08 PM

Pi