Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Has there ever been a re-release of a dvd where the 2nd one was worse that the 1st?

Community
Search

Has there ever been a re-release of a dvd where the 2nd one was worse that the 1st?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just thinking about this because with the impending release of T2 extreme edition, some are putting up the good fight for T2:UE. Also with the Fast and the Furious ridiculous "tricked out edition"( I hope sales for this bomb) vs. the original collector's edition. Some of you guys are extremely passionate about dvds so would like to see what rereleases dropped the ball.
Old 05-09-03, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stuart Little: Deluxe Edition - Pan & Scan only whereas the Collector's Series was released in both Widescreen and Pan & Scan flavors. The DE is now the only edition in print.
Old 05-09-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Amores Perros has slightly fewer extras on the Signature Collection version than on the original release (Reg 1)
Old 05-09-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Silence of the Lambs, following the Criterion

Hard Boiled, so I"m told, was much better as a Criterion.

Probably the latter "Little Shop of Horrors", sans the deleted scenes?
Old 05-09-03, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Probably the latter "Little Shop of Horrors", sans the deleted scenes?
Yeah, the latter release doesn't have the alternate ending.
Old 05-09-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Trees Lounge: first release was OAR (1.85:1) with commentary, re-release was "fullframe" with no commentary.

DJ
Old 05-09-03, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
there's a whole bunch...mostly the Fox 2 disc movies that became one disc movies. E.g. The Abyss, Fight Club, Moulin Rouge, CastAway, Planet of the Apes, From Hell, etc. Close Encounters of the Third Kind from Columbia TriStar as well.
Old 05-09-03, 02:16 AM

NATURAL BORN KILLERS came out first in an unrated version through Trimark, then Warners re-released the disc with the cut R-rated version.
Old 05-09-03, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by Sartana
NATURAL BORN KILLERS came out first in an unrated version through Trimark, then Warners re-released the disc with the cut R-rated version.
The re-release is kind of a mixed bag, though, since it was 16x9-enhanced, whereas the previous unrated release was not.

DJ
Old 05-09-03, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Lawrence of Arabia
Fight Club
The Abyss
Old 05-09-03, 06:08 AM

Sid & Nancy
Old 05-09-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
La Femme Nikita -- there's a recent thread about this floating around, but the current MGM edition is not a radical picture/sound improvement over the older Trimark disc. And it adds different (terrible) subtitles.

Robocop -- MGM vs. Criterion. New release is theatrical cut (instead of uncut), cropped slightly, has incorrect color balance, and no extras.

Rambling Rose -- original release had tons of extras - commentary, deleted scenes, and maybe even a documentary (?) New release has no extras.
Old 05-09-03, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree with the Criterion Silence of The Lambs. While MGM's addition of an anamorphic transfer and 5.1 sound would definitely constitute a welcome upgrade, they brightened the transfer too much for my taste, which changed the feel of the movie for me.
Old 05-09-03, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm wondering about next week's Man With a Movie Camera - the first release had a very good commentary on it, but I don't see any indication anywhere of the new one having anything except a new score by Michael Nyman.
Old 05-09-03, 09:55 AM

Spinal Tap CC...
Old 05-09-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anchor Bay has re-released some titles in full-frame ONLY where the original release offered both FF and WS. (This makes NO sense to me.)
Old 05-09-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Willy Wonka comes to mind- but that fiasco was quickly cleaned up.
Old 05-09-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The Reservoir Dogs: !0th Anniversary Edition has a terrible, faded transfer that destroys the intended look for the film. The older release was non-anamorphic, but at least had decent colors and proper contrast level.
Old 05-09-03, 11:13 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by The Nature Boy
Hard Boiled, so I"m told, was much better as a Criterion.
My understanding is that the Criterion version of Hard Boiled (and the Killer, for that matter) is identical to the WinStar/FoxLoerber version.

Now, it's rumored that Disney will be rereleasing these in edited form (to remove some of the more rgaphic violence), and that will be a worse version.

The Criterion Charade is better than the verion that comes on The Truth About Charlie.

Fox released a number of their 2-disc sets (Abyss, Independece Day, etc.) in 1-disc versions without many of the extras.

Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia also had 2-disc sets replaced with 1-disc versions.

The Criterion versions of Brazil and Time Bandits are both better than the subsequently-released non-Criterion versions.
Old 05-09-03, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by JasonFliegel
My understanding is that the Criterion version of Hard Boiled (and the Killer, for that matter) is identical to the WinStar/FoxLoerber version.
A/V wise, the discs were basically the same, and FL had their own new commentaries instead of the Criterion commentaries. However, other extras from the Criterion discs were not reproduced on the FL discs (trailer collection, guide to HK cinema, and Woo student film on Hard Boiled, deleted scenes on The Killer). These extras would seemingly give the edge to Criterion, making the subsequent FL releases somewhat inferior.

The Criterion versions of Brazil and Time Bandits are both better than the subsequently-released non-Criterion versions.
You've got the timeline backwards for Brazil, as the barebones Universal disc came first. The barebones Anchor Bay Time Bandits disc only came out a month after the Criterion.

DJ

Last edited by djtoell; 05-09-03 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-09-03, 11:21 AM

A hard day night is another one. From what i've heard the sound is horrible on the 2nd release.
Old 05-09-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by djtoell
Trees Lounge: first release was OAR (1.85:1) with commentary, re-release was "fullframe" with no commentary.

DJ
This is the example that sprang to my mind also. I loved this movie and screwed up by not buying the original release. I really regret not having the commentary!
Old 05-09-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Lothem
Spinal Tap CC...
I'd argue that the MGM version is on par with the Criterion. Different Supplements obviously but there are some great ones(the in character commentary is hilarious). Plus, Anamorphic picture and 5.1 sound which is leaps and bounds above the non anamorphic 2.0 sound on the criterion disc. Having said all that, I wish I could find a place that rents this as I'd love to see some of the supplements(such as the abandonded sub plots).
Old 05-09-03, 04:04 PM

Mountains of the Moon
Little Odessa

FS 2nd releases.
Old 05-09-03, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by shill66
Anchor Bay has re-released some titles in full-frame ONLY where the original release offered both FF and WS. (This makes NO sense to me.)
Titles please?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.