Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Sound Of Music DVD questions

Old 05-08-03, 01:12 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I have to get this DVD for the GF, but since it's gonna be playing on my HT, I need the best sound and pic. I could've sworn there was a DTS version of this DVD, but I can't seem to find it anywhere...was I mistaken? Also, is the OOP version any better in terms of PQ+sound?
Thanks!
-flip22
Old 05-08-03, 01:23 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one disc is just the first disc of the now OOP 2 disc set. They are identical in pic and sound quality.
Old 05-08-03, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Sound Of Music DVD questions

Originally posted by flip22
I could've sworn there was a DTS version of this DVD, but I can't seem to find it anywhere...was I mistaken?
I don't recall if there's any.
Old 05-08-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is not - the existing version is only 4.0 Surround. The sound is excellent.

There are 3 versions -

WS 2 disc version (OOP)
WS 1 disc version
PS 1 disc version

BTW it is anamorphic and visually stunning.
Old 05-08-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan
There is not - the existing version is only 4.0 Surround. The sound is excellent.

BTW it is anamorphic and visually stunning.
thedigitalbits.com
WORST DVD - VIDEO

The Sound of Music: Five Star Collection (20th Century Fox)

Take a classic film, find the original laserdisc transfer, piss on it and then release it on DVD. That seems to have been the approach here, which is surprising, given how good most of Fox's other DVDs have looked. What's even more puzzling is that this DVD features the THX stamp of approval. The film is presented in anamorphic widescreen, but the video suffers from WAY too much edge-enhancement. It's almost as if whoever handled the transfer thought he was working on a laserdisc. The picture is also sometimes hazy and unclear, and film grain distracts more often than you'd like. What a shame. Hopefully, Fox will go back and redo this one properly.
I have not seen this dvd.
Old 05-08-03, 02:47 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Or consider this review from dvdreview.com:

20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has created a brand new transfer of the movie for release on this DVD. Struck from a 65 mm print, the transfer is mesmerizingly clean and colorful. Without grain or noise, the level of detail found in the presentation is simply staggering and gives the film a dimensionality never before seen in any home video presentation of the movie. It is presented in an anamorphic widescreen transfer that restores the movie’s original 2.20:1 aspect ratio and with ease this transfer even eclipses the superb Laserdisc versions of the movie that were previously available. The colors are bold and beautiful, bringing out the best of the stunning scenery the film so adequately captures. The lush greens of the grass, the powerful blues of the skies, the vibrant interior decorations and the lucid nighttime shots, every bit of the movie is perfectly captured on this DVD and put on your screen in the most splendid colors. The disc’s black level is dead on and creates deep shadows, and the level of detail is never corrupted by the compression, which presents and image that is entirely free of compression artifacts. You will not believe for a second that you are watching a movie that is almost 40 years old, that is how clean, sharp and clear it looks.
I've watched it many times and I think it looks very good. Fortunately I don't notice edge enhancement (if any is present in this one) so that doesn't spoil movies for me.
Old 05-08-03, 03:27 PM

Let's put both reviewers in the doyo for a sumo style face-off to determine the facts!

It looks great on my 27" Wega.
Old 05-08-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mmguen
It looks great on my 27" Wega.
That's what I've repeatedly watched it on, mmguen. Thanks for the backup!
Old 05-08-03, 05:21 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by rfduncan
That's what I've repeatedly watched it on, mmguen. Thanks for the backup!
27" Sony Wega here too. Maybe it only looks good on that kind of set.
Old 05-08-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was one of the first discs I watched on my WS Mitsubishi. No complaints about the picture. I wondered what the heck DigitalBits was complaining about, the movie is almost 40 years old.
Old 05-08-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Looked fine on 32" Wega.
Old 05-08-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looked great on a 9" B&W.
Old 05-08-03, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
I didn't notice any problems at all on my Sony Handheld 2" screen.
Old 05-08-03, 09:45 PM

Probably a lot of the different opinions are due to different settings (sharpness, contrast). While I found the film wonderful and beautiful as always, there were times that I was distracted by various image quality "things." Sometimes it looked grainy and dirty in places. I usually don't notice these type things when watching DVDs. Perhaps I just was expecting more and watching more closely, due to the wonderful images. Not that I didn't enjoy it; it was still great. Also, I believe my settings have gone back to the defaults, and I need to run video essentials again. (38" widescreen, direct view.)

Last edited by BMeeks; 05-08-03 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-09-03, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is my wife's favorite movie, so I've seen bits & pieces of it. Especially considering the age, the video is fantastic compared to the VHS version we previously had. I see nothing wrong with it on my 55" widescreen. Colors are bright & clean and I can now see detail that I've never seen before.
Nothing too exciting on the 2nd disc, so you should be content with the single disc version.
Old 05-09-03, 11:50 AM

Well I'll put in a dissenting opinion. I have a 27" Sony Wega too, and I saw a heck of a lot of edge enhancement and shimmer in video of Sound of Music (I have the 2-disc 5 Star collection edition). Overall the transfer's not terrible - the colors and contrast are good - but I found the enhancement and shimmer distracting in numerous scenes and I was a little disappointed by that. (And yes, I've got my sharpness and contrast settings down low, as dictacted by my tests with the Avia disc.)

--Scott McGuire
Old 05-12-03, 07:12 AM
Cool New Member

Well, thanks to everyone for their input, but it looks like I have to get my hands on the OOP version, regardless of myconcerns- Apparently, this is her all-time favorite..
Old 05-12-03, 07:56 AM

So, I have to get this DVD for the GF....
Originally posted by Movie_Man
This is my wife's favorite movie.....
Why don't you just admit it's for yourselves.

Owning/watching Sound Of Music DVD is nothing to be ashamed of. It's a classic. I've seen it several times on various formats.
Old 05-12-03, 08:31 AM
Cool New Member

Relatively speaking, there's a certain degree of online anonymity that we all enjoy, Kevo- don't you agree? In light of that, I wouldn't have any problem admitting I enjoy SOM, if that were the case, but it's not.
I'm just not into musicals..they make me squirm everytime the cast is about to break into song.
Now, where did I put my copy of Way of the Gun?...
Old 05-12-03, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interesting. My wife is sick of this movie, so when I finally acquire a copy, it's all for me.

Thanks for the info folks, I'll probably just pick up the easy-to-find one disc version and borrow disc 2 from a relative if I get the urge.
Old 05-14-03, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In some places the movie's taken on a Rocky Horror Picture Show type cult - who dress up and act out/sing the parts.
Old 05-14-03, 11:27 AM

So, I have to get this DVD for the GF....
Originally posted by Movie_Man
This is my wife's favorite movie.....
Originally posted by Kevo
Why don't you just admit it's for yourselves. ...
Wonder where you get that idea since they are posted by two different users...

By the way, a great movie that we are talking about here and a really nice disc that they put out. I really enjoyed it.

Last edited by KKnight; 05-14-03 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-14-03, 02:36 PM
Cool New Member

I know that the region 2 or 4 release is much better than the region 1. I have the region 2 and the picture quality is very good with none of the problems listed above.

I'd definately recommend the region 2/4 if your player is multi-region.
Old 05-14-03, 03:00 PM
Cool New Member

Anybody know where I can pick up the OOP version and NOT pay through the nose for it?
Old 05-17-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was somewhat surprised that anyone would consider the current R1 version of SOM a good transfer. I agree with smcguire and The Digital Bits review that it has lots of artifacts (specks and the like) as well as lots of Edge Enhancement. For example, at the beginning when Maria is singing in the field and is shown against the sky the EE halos are very apparent on my 57" widescreen.

Perhaps such things are not readily visible on a small screen but SOM is a good example of a visually poor DVD IMO. [For more on what Edge Enhancement looks like check out Ultimate Guide To 'Edge Enhancement' on DVD.]

Fox could have done a much better job on this classic, and I hope that they will someday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.