Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

The HOWARD STERN Show on DVD - Uncensored, in the works...

Community
Search

The HOWARD STERN Show on DVD - Uncensored, in the works...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's about time. If Beetlejuice can release an uncensored DVD, then Howard can do one as well.
Old 05-09-03, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally posted by Dubya
He gets a call from a listener asking about it and his stock response is "it's taking alot longer than we thought but it will be great, etc." He will probably be saying the same thing a year from now.
Sort of sounds like The Last Dangerous Visions.
Old 05-14-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He gets a call from a listener asking about it and his stock response is "it's taking alot longer than we thought but it will be great, etc." He will probably be saying the same thing a year from now.
From marksfriggin.com an update on today's show....

Howard also took a call from a guy who wondered when the uncensored DVD of the E! show will be out. Howard said it's turned into a nightmare. It's taking forever to get it done. He said he may have to do it himself. He said he may have to break it down by year because it's taking so long. He wants to see it himself.
Old 05-14-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From marksfriggin.com an update on today's show....

Howard also took a call from a guy who wondered when the uncensored DVD of the E! show will be out. Howard said it's turned into a nightmare. It's taking forever to get it done. He said he may have to do it himself. He said he may have to break it down by year because it's taking so long. He wants to see it himself.
If I could add, I caught this today. He made it very clear that the process HASN'T EVEN BEGUN yet, so I'm sure we'd be at least year away. And rather than a breakdown by year, he seemed to favor a "Early years", "middle years" and a "up to the present" years. I would certainly welcome it, I know there was an underground VHS circulating of the Channel 9 show uncenscored clips a few years back, but I haven't seen that too often.

And not to get off topic, but this clown today was claiming that if he were the villan in the Punisher film, instead of "irrelevant" John Travolta, he'd bring an extra 50-60 million dollars to the box office. This from a guy who couldn't draw 40 million STARRING in his own movie. I personally think Ellen Travolta is more relevant than John now, but Stern is embarassingly delusional regarding his own star. And Sternites can defend this blind braggadicio as hyperbole, but this was once a guy who had a plasible connection with his audience that had a sincere feel of honesty about it. Either he's B.S.ing when he says he would make that much cash, or he's delusional. Sad in either regard, considering what he was.
Old 05-14-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
And not to get off topic, but this clown today was claiming that if he were the villan in the Punisher film, instead of "irrelevant" John Travolta, he'd bring an extra 50-60 million dollars to the box office. This from a guy who couldn't draw 40 million STARRING in his own movie.
Are you talking about Howard Stern not being able to draw 40 million? Didn't "Private Parts" make 35 million the first weekend it was out? What happened? Did it not sell one ticket after that first weekend?
Old 05-14-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Private parts opened to 14.6 million in March of 1997. At the time an opening of 35 million was pretty rare. It's final gross was 41.2 million.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...ivateparts.htm
Old 05-14-03, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally posted by majorjoe23
Private parts opened to 14.6 million in March of 1997. At the time an opening of 35 million was pretty rare. It's final gross was 41.2 million.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/...ivateparts.htm
Most importantly it was good. Better than any other comedy that year. Better than Daddy Daycare w/ it's $27m opening!
Old 05-14-03, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Private parts opened to 14.6 million in March of 1997. At the time an opening of 35 million was pretty rare.
You make it sound like it was a ka-zillion-trillion years ago. Was 1997 really that long ago, really?!
Old 05-14-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
As far as movie releases go, and how frontloaded films have become since then, yes, it's a ka-zillion-trillion years ago.

Back then I was a high school senior, now I'm a college graduate with two years job experience. A long time indeed.
Old 05-14-03, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I started this job in 1997, and it sure feels like a ka-zillion years have gone by. zzzzzz
Old 05-14-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It would be great to see stuff uncensored. He should just try to get off of E and onto a station where they can show whatever they want. It all seeems pretty ridiculous. I was watching E last night and they were tickling these 2 chicks. They were strapped, spread eagle, on a bed, wearing thongs. Nothing was censored. Then afterward, they're being interviewed in the hallway and the one girl turns around and they blur out her ass crack. What??? We just saw her spread eagle on the bed and you're bluring out her butt?
Old 05-14-03, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I saw that tickle episode last night, and was amazed that the crotch shots were not blurred out at all.
Old 05-14-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It does seem ridiculous that Stern's show would be broadcast on E! - a family-style station - instead of on HBO or Showtime. Seems to defeat the purpose of being shown on television: you can't see what they're doing while you listen on the radio, so the purpose of television is to SEE. Nothing really changes when you see it on television because you don't SEE anything. A waste. Dumb.
Old 05-14-03, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as movie releases go, and how frontloaded films have become since then, yes, it's a ka-zillion-trillion years ago.

Back then I was a high school senior, now I'm a college graduate with two years job experience. A long time indeed.
Is this sarcasm?

In any event, believe I"m a Stern fan, or at least I was. I firmly and honestly believe that he was at the focal point of either best variety program since the Ed Sullivan show, or one of the top 5 American sketch comedy programs. I just don't know where you'd piegonhole his show, but the bottom line was, it was legitmately brillant, more than just T and A, but terrific satirical comment and flat out funny moments.

But please, lets put it all in check. 14 million was not a "wow" weekend then. If a very strong opening now is 30 million, then it was 20 million then, but the emphasis on the opening week was firmly in place. Stern proclamied for 5 years prior to it's release that it would gross 100 million dollars, not preposterious given his career arch at the time. In fact, had he not made those pronouncements(and he had largely been perfect in his career prognostication prior to that) the film would have been viewed as a modest success quite possibly, rather than the modest failure it was seen as then and now.

So when he squawks about meaning X amount to any box office, consider it a fairy tale, or at worst, blind disillusionment of his own career and self worth.
Old 05-14-03, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Come to think of it, 40 million gross seems pretty weak, even for 1997.

But considering that it was budgeted pretty low, and that the film made money, I guess that constitutes a hit.
Old 05-14-03, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by Buttmunker
It does seem ridiculous that Stern's show would be broadcast on E! - a family-style station - instead of on HBO or Showtime. Seems to defeat the purpose of being shown on television: you can't see what they're doing while you listen on the radio, so the purpose of television is to SEE. Nothing really changes when you see it on television because you don't SEE anything. A waste. Dumb.
I'm willing to bet that E! pays a lot more $$$ than cable could/would. I'd be curious to know if he tried to shop his show to cable.
Old 05-15-03, 05:14 PM

I listen to Stern religiously every morning for Artie's great sense of humor & Howard's opinion on a multitude of subjects (which I generally agree with).

Question is though, how many times do we have to hear that "he's a great actor" & "he's just waiting for the right script"? Also, how successful will his movie production company be? He played himself in PP (not too much of an acting stretch), co-produced the un-funny Son Of The Beach (now cancelled) and he's doing a remake of Porkys!

I say stick with radio show Howie & get off your butt & give us an uncensored DVD collection!

Rip
Old 05-15-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Haha, a friend of mine was on Stern and took got topless. If this comes out and she's on it, I'll have a field day with it.
Old 05-15-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When he first came around, he did do alot of things that haven't been done before, but he isn't totally original, nor is he really great anymore. I catch him here and there and got tired of his schtick about 4 years ago. I listen to a good deal of talk radio (not as of late though) and I tend to skip him now and listen to someone else.

-pedagogue

ps. His new years eve special was pretty funny. Michael Jackson buying the kid from the parents, etc.
Old 05-16-03, 07:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by pedagogue
When he first came around, he did do alot of things that haven't been done before, but he isn't totally original, nor is he really great anymore. I catch him here and there and got tired of his schtick about 4 years ago. I listen to a good deal of talk radio (not as of late though) and I tend to skip him now and listen to someone else.

-pedagogue

ps. His new years eve special was pretty funny. Michael Jackson buying the kid from the parents, etc.
Hmm... Buying the kid? He comes over to babysit and pays off the parents when they come home and find that he's tied the kid to the bed...

Stern fan? Who me...?

I do miss Jackie and Billy West though........
Old 05-16-03, 09:33 AM

F Jackie!

Rip

PS. The guy was not funny!
Old 05-16-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I used to like Howard a lot. When he got divorced and turned into another celeberity schmuck, I stopped listening. His wife allowed him to play the average guy getting to play with strippers, etc. Now he just seems like a pervert.
Old 05-16-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chanster
I used to like Howard a lot. When he got divorced and turned into another celeberity schmuck, I stopped listening. His wife allowed him to play the average guy getting to play with strippers, etc. Now he just seems like a pervert.
Well that's why Artie is there now. HE is the "average guy".

It's just as good now as it was when Howard was married. A little different (I miss hearing about the weekends with the inlaws and all that), but just as good.
Old 05-16-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One thing about Howard's NEW lifestyle - in the past (the married years), he was always on a strict diet, and he never drank because of what it did to his weight.

Now, he drinks like crazy, and not one listener has called him on his dieting. So I'm led to believe that he's pretending to drink and eat but, in reality, is still the same old Howard. He really has become an actor - only on the radio and not on television or in the movies. I think he was more honest in the past, but now he's donning a persona.
Old 05-16-03, 05:39 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Well guys, if there are any clips you want to see on the dvd, just call k-rock ,and Howard will get them on there. Thi sis what is taking so long, he first said it was going to be 1 dvd, thena 2 dvd set, then he said it would be multiple disc, and now he wants to break it down my "years", the only bad thing is he wants to do clips not whole segments.