DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   DVDs done RIGHT.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/291008-dvds-done-right.html)

Ky-Fi 05-07-03 08:54 PM

DVDs done RIGHT....

OK, we all post a lot about what's wrong with certain releases, or what hasn't been released yet. But, to inject a note of positivity, what DVDs are you completely happy with?

I have to mention the HVE release of the Zatoichi series (8 discs so far). I'm a longtime HK kung fu movie fan, and I was familiar with the Kurosawa/Mifune Japanese pics, but I had not seen any of these before. They have quickly become my favorite martial arts films ever----heck, they're just great FILMS. HVE has released them all in anamorphic widescreen, with great liner notes and nice packaging. The first few had sets of trading cards included, the latest three releases have fold-out posters that are replicas of the original Japanese posters---very cool.

Any other nominations?

Smidget 05-07-03 09:08 PM

UHF

Great transfer, great extras, for less than 10 bucks.

harpo787 05-07-03 09:12 PM

Oh oh! I get to nominate the Lord of the Rings (FOTR) 4 disc set!

For those who just want to learn it all about flicks....it's been one of the coolest releases I've ever seen. That and Brazil (Criterion edition). Just very thorough coverage over all on both of these!

SCHMEGGA 05-07-03 09:41 PM

Originally posted by harpo787

For those who just want to learn it all about flicks....it's been one of the coolest releases I've ever seen. That and Brazil (Criterion edition). Just very thorough coverage over all on both of these!

You win the prize for being the first to post LOTR! We all knew it wouldn't take long, and deservedly so. So in that respect I will name something different:

Toy Story: Ultimate Toy Box
The Blue Planet Set
West Side Story

Just to name a few that REALLY standout above the others, as far as packaging, content, extras, and video/sound.

BigPete 05-07-03 09:55 PM

Fight Club
Memento LE

Dacoops3 05-07-03 09:59 PM

Die Hard Trilogy: Five Star Collection

jessecrx 05-07-03 10:06 PM

Transformers Boxed Sets
Tombstone
Seven
Boogie Nights

gutwrencher 05-07-03 10:10 PM

I'm happy with all my dvds, thanks.

DarthVong 05-07-03 10:34 PM

Se7en
Die Hard Trilogy
Star Wars I and II
Fight Club 5 Star

EskimoJoe 05-07-03 11:07 PM

The Rock: CC

Dorsalphin 05-07-03 11:14 PM

Can anyone say T2 Ultimate Edition?

filmerp 05-08-03 12:13 AM

Originally posted by harpo787
Yes, I love the set to the moon and back as well. However I still have a nagging annoyance that I'm missing out on the features that were on the original 2-disc release- especially the TRAILER!

DVDude! 05-08-03 12:59 AM

A few that spring to mind:

Ghostbusters: An early release and still one I think they did very well.

Jeepers Creepers: Well done look at how to make a movie. Very informative.

El Mariachi/Desperado: Two great flicks, excellent stuff from the director, cool early short ("Bed Head"), etc.

Panda Phil 05-08-03 01:13 AM

A few more disks that have made me giggle like a schoolgirl:

Dogma: SE
Fear and Loathing: CC
Amalie
Blair Witch Project
Gamera: Attack of Legion
Gladiator

Tarantino 05-08-03 07:49 AM

I'll give Fight Club another nomination, it's my fav. DVD.

Others...

Donnie Darko
Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys
True Romance UDC
Snatch
Spiderman
Abyss 5*
Reservoir Dogs SE
Pulp Fiction CE
Royal Tenenbaums
Mallrats

Biggdog 05-08-03 08:20 AM

The new Universal release of Fahrenheit 451.

wendersfan 05-08-03 08:23 AM

The Limey
8 1/2
Citizen Kane
MASH
Carl Dreyer Box Set
Contempt
Band of Outsiders

ctyankee 05-08-03 08:49 AM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
I'm happy with all my dvds, thanks.
Don't see why you felt the need to post that comment, but I took a look at your DVD list ... I didn't even have to scroll down to find your 2001: A Space Odyssey (original version) as well as 2001: A Space Odyssey (the restored, remastered version). I sure you got the second version because you were happy with the first ...

The thread title is wide open, but I see no point in listing DVDs that could have their own forums for all the attention they get.

One of the finest of all transfers of a VistaVision release is North By Northwest. The colors with blow you away. This very fine Hitchcock films has:

Audio Commentary by the the screenwriter Ernest Lehman

Documentary - Destination Hitchcock - The Making of North by Northwest

Music - Only (Score) Audio Track - which I'm fond of.

Never a high priced DVD (even when it was released) this anamorphic widescreen release is easily found for 10 bucks.

myrdh 05-08-03 08:58 AM

BoB tin

matome 05-08-03 09:02 AM

<i>Bring It On!</i> Could only be improved by including the deleted locker room footage.

steebo777 05-08-03 09:33 AM

I have to give a nod to the Underworld: Live DVD. Anamorphic, great audio, beautiful music. :thumbsup:

boston george 05-08-03 09:48 AM

How about Gorillaz Phase One : Celebrity Take Down. I'm afraid that this DVD has gore mostly unnoticed except by hardcore fans, but it is really excellent. It has all the videos in 5.1 with 16x9 video, a 52 page booklet, stickers, interviews with the band, live performances, a bunch of press stuff (stills, magazine articles), a bonus cd-rom with games, wallpaper, screensavers etc., and a really cool case. Plus it's cheap!

Also, I know it was mentioned, but I LOVE the Fear and Loathing Criterion DVD. The '78 documentary was worth the price alone
I love the part where he's sniffing coke behind the clapboard
Classic HST!

chesola 05-08-03 10:25 AM

MGM's Midnite Movies series.

fumanstan 05-08-03 11:27 AM

I'd like to say Memento: LE was NOT done right because of the dang menus. But i'll toss in Gladiator

Class316 05-08-03 11:49 AM

Snow White Platinum (probably the only perfectly done Disney release)

If one wants to list all DVDs that were done right it sure as well wouldn’t be very big. What a shame -ohbfrank-