Babylon 5 Series Tweaks and Misses (SPOILERS)

Old 05-06-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Babylon 5 Series Tweaks and Misses (SPOILERS)

Ok, I haven't unwrapped my first two years, cause I'm waiting to watch most of it at once.

But I am curious. I hear of some misses (not showing the "different" starting sequences that DID occur during the series) sounds as if they are showing a standard one for each episode in the series.

that's too bad - because I'd think that's what dvd was for, to show the different beginnings, especially since you are "using up the bandwidth" anyway.

How about other things - like showing Sheridan's wife? (I think that is 2nd season). Did they "replace" the scene with Gilbert, or did they keep the different actress?

I'm just curious how much work went into this to make it seamless. So far, I'm hearing that they went lower common denominatior instead of trying to be "just right".

Any other glitches/fixes for B5 in either Season 1 or 2?

(I think the pilot on a separate dvd is the "updated" pilot with the alien zoo scene gone, for example...)
Old 05-07-03, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a little miffed about the screwup with the opening credits on S2. Showing in the credits for the first two episodes was a royal screw up.

No, they didn't digitally replace Beth Troussant with Melissa Gilbert in Revelations.

I'm actually slightly disappointed with the B5 sets so far. I'm happy as hell that they're releasing them at all. But for what they're charging, you'd think they would have put a bit more work into the set. Using the same opening credits for all episodes when there was 3 different credit sequences for that season is just wrong.

At least they're anamorphic 1.85, which is something no other TV show is doing.
Old 05-07-03, 11:22 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by darkflounder
And totally screwing up the 4:3 CG effects in the process...
Old 05-07-03, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I'm very happy to have them, and yes, I'm disappointed by the various bad decisions surrounding the releases. Someone really didn't try very hard to make these the best possible collection.

Not using the original opening credits for each episode is a big mistake... And effectively inserting a new spoiler into the opening credits of the first 2 eps is more than just lame, it's maddening.

The 4:3 CG effects do look very bad blown up & re-cropped, but once they lost the original data, that was a no-win situation. Using the widescreen framing as originally planned was still the way to go...
Old 05-07-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone know what Joe Straczynski has said about these issues?
Old 05-08-03, 07:54 AM
Banned

Originally posted by darkflounder
Ah ah ah...... All season sets of THE SOPRANOS are anamorphic 1.85:1......
Old 05-08-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Upside-down Minbari War Cruiser

Yeah, the opening credits goof for Points of Departure and Revelations is a pretty bad one, but there's a photo of the post-Chrysalis Delenn is on the front cover of the box set (see below). At least they didn't include the
Spoiler:
Tom Poston as Kosh Nanarek
credits spoiler from later in S2.

Also, I noticed something very odd about the cover of the included episode booklet. Right above the Grey Counsil are images of a bunch of stuff, including a Minbari War Cruiser. Unfortunately, the War Cruiser is UPSIDE-DOWN!!!

Granted, there is no "up" in space, but there is an "up" on my TV screen and DVD set.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 05-08-03 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-08-03, 02:15 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
As a first-time B5 viewer, I am thrilled with these DVDs. While the issues discussed above appear to be good points, the only one that affected me in any way was the Delenn spoiler in the opening credits of the first 2 episodes, and that wasn't such a spoiler given the box set cover (as kenbuzz pointed out).

I think the picture looks pretty clear (as clear as the ST:TNG sets). Maybe I'll be more critical on my second viewing, but right now I'm just caught up in this incredible story.
Old 05-08-03, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually the credits for the first two episodes of season two wasnt done just on the dvd set. It was done on sci-fi channel as well. I actually didnt realize the spoiler when i watched for the first time as i rarely pay attention to the credits and fast forward

capt
Old 05-08-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I remember correctly, there were TONS of different episode beginnings in either season 3 or 4 - including one really cool one redoing Straczynski's credit (though that might have been season 5)

Any idea if these will be kept in upcoming box sets?

I always enjoyed the "different" opening credits - seems a shame to lose them on the dvd sets. I may have to keep my VHS sets after all.