DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   What I'd like to see in a DVD.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/290744-what-id-like-see-dvd.html)

milkydoo 05-06-03 06:58 PM

What I'd like to see in a DVD....

This would be the ultimate movie lovers dream when it comes to deleted scenes.

Put ALL of the deleted scenes on the disc, even the really bad ones that the director hates.

Then, via the menu, you could "program" the movie to your liking. So, if you preferred to watch the movie with deleted scenes #1, 6 and 15 in, you could do it!

That would be swell! I just bought D&D, and a number of those scenes should have been in there. They could add the feature on the SE version so they could still make those extra bucks, but Jesus H,....give the paying customers the freedom to watch what they want!

On one DVD purchase, we could get the theatrical, directors cut and custom splice utility. That would rock!

Avid 05-06-03 07:10 PM

I'd really like to have the film dailies put on disk, so I can edit the movie the way I see fit. :)

BigPete 05-06-03 07:15 PM

I believe Hitchcock would have given up directing if he had ever imagined such a thing would one day be possible.

milkydoo 05-06-03 07:45 PM

Originally posted by BigPete
I believe Hitchcock would have given up directing if he had ever imagined such a thing would one day be possible.
Heh. Probably so. A lot of directors wouldn't be fond of it, I suppose, but given that everyone would be watching the theatrical or directors version first, it's not like the director's vision would be completely replaced.

10 tons of Hollywood botch jobs a year; 100% of movie goers saying, "it could have been better if....". Most viewers probably would never bother with it; it would most likely be the diehard fans that would edit it to their liking, and even then, most would probably be adding in scenes that would be in the directors cut anyway.

There's so much money involved in movies now, the director may think of it as a 'work of art', but at the end of the day, the dollar makes sure it's just entertainment for the masses.....and usually half assed entertainment.

I guess I've become very picky with my flicks, which is why I only buy the ones I can watch 3 times a day!

jough 05-07-03 12:05 AM

Everybody wants to direct...

pro-bassoonist 05-07-03 12:42 AM

i wanna get paid!!!!!

davidvp 05-07-03 01:05 AM

Has anyone tried out the "cut your own scenes" extra feature on the Die Hard 1 DVD? Pretty nifty. :)

TomOpus 05-07-03 07:15 AM

Originally posted by Avid
I'd really like to have the film dailies put on disk, so I can edit the movie the way I see fit. :)
... with a name like "Avid" I can sure understand that. :D

Avid 05-07-03 11:38 AM

Originally posted by TomOpus
... with a name like "Avid" I can sure understand that. :D
:D :D :D

Pants 05-07-03 01:33 PM

It would be a fun feature to fiddle with, but I wouldn't want it on every disc

The Criterion Close Encounters of the Third Kind allowed you to program your player to play the version you wanted.