Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Spirited Away on computer: black bars on all sides????

Old 05-06-03, 07:46 PM

Sorry if this is a repost, or just a plain stupid question, but when I try to watch Spirited Away on my computer and the entire image gets framed during DVD playback (there are blakc bars on the sides as well as the top and bottom). Has anybody else had this problem and/or know of a way to correct it?

thanks.
Old 05-06-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How big are the bars on the sides? My only thought would be that they exist to combat overscan, in which case they are permanent.
Old 05-06-03, 07:56 PM

about a half an inch, but then I'm watching it on my laptop screen which is 16:10 instead of 4:3
Old 05-06-03, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not a problem, that's just the way it was encoded. No idea why. The aspect ratio is supposed to be 2.0:1, but it seems pretty close to 1.78:1 because as you say, it's got tiny black bars all around.
Old 05-06-03, 10:35 PM
Rest in Peace

Pete

On my HDTV screen I have had black bars on 4 sides of my HDTV, I have thing on all day 7 days a week 365 days a year I just read the text I don't even notice the black bars. DVD player is turned on I go into automatic home theatre mode and turn off the lights, then I don't see anything but the movie in any OAR that is being shown, just like in the pay for a ticket movie theatre.

Reason I have 4 sides of black bars is because I'm on WebTV and have it streched in full, I never watched a program in the screen burning 4:3, although I have them.
My Sony CX-875P Progressive Scan 300 + 1 (2) changers locks the 1.33:1 to full and I see no stretch at all. I hope this helps if you can understand it. LOL
Old 05-06-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BigPete
How big are the bars on the sides? My only thought would be that they exist to combat overscan, in which case they are permanent.
That's correct. The Miyazaki discs are slightly windowboxed to eliminate any overscan problems.
Old 05-06-03, 11:08 PM

Remember how Mario could run off the screen of your crappy TV a little bit? On most TV's you don't even see the black bars on the side, although it's very noticable on your computer.
Old 05-06-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It happens to my R3 DVD too.
Old 05-08-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cultshock
That's correct. The Miyazaki discs are slightly windowboxed to eliminate any overscan problems.
The Spirited Away disc is windowboxed a lot more than the other Miyazaki discs. I'm not sure why. The movie's aspect ratio is about 1.85:1 with bars on all four sides.
Old 05-10-03, 03:55 PM

Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks for the replies! Is windowboxing a common? This is the first time I've noticed it on a dvd. Highly aggravating...
Old 05-11-03, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's quite common. I've seen some movie that's been window boxed. The last time I saw it is on The Great Mouse Detective.
Old 05-11-03, 02:18 PM

Re: Pete

Originally posted by danol
On my HDTV screen I have had black bars on 4 sides of my HDTV, I have thing on all day 7 days a week 365 days a year I just read the text I don't even notice the black bars. DVD player is turned on I go into automatic home theatre mode and turn off the lights, then I don't see anything but the movie in any OAR that is being shown, just like in the pay for a ticket movie theatre.

Reason I have 4 sides of black bars is because I'm on WebTV and have it streched in full, I never watched a program in the screen burning 4:3, although I have them.
I have never had so much problem reading a post in my life.
Old 05-11-03, 04:13 PM

Re: Re: Pete

Originally posted by JLyon1515
I have never had so much problem reading a post in my life.
you mean... so much OF a problem?
Old 05-12-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by no_creativity
Hey everyone, just wanted to say thanks for the replies! Is windowboxing a common? This is the first time I've noticed it on a dvd. Highly aggravating...
A slight bit of windowboxing is common on a lot of discs, but for the most part you won't notice it because the overscan on your TV cuts it off (which is the whole point of windowboxing the disc in the first place, to compensate for overscan). The Spirited Away disc is windowboxed more than usual, for whatever reason.

Any 1.66:1 movie presented on disc with anamorphic enhancement will be windowboxed, since the anamorphic frame is 1.78:1.

Another prominent case of windowboxing is the Blade Runner DVD.
Old 05-13-03, 04:32 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Are there any DVD player software programmes for a PC that will allow you to shift the frame to compensate for the windowboxing?

Most I've seen (Power DVD, Win DVD, etc.) do not allow re-framing - just resizing of the existing frame.

-- Jough
Old 05-21-03, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by jough
Are there any DVD player software programmes for a PC that will allow you to shift the frame to compensate for the windowboxing?

Most I've seen (Power DVD, Win DVD, etc.) do not allow re-framing - just resizing of the existing frame.

-- Jough
just bumping an excellent question!