Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Gangs of New York Cover Change

Gangs of New York Cover Change

Old 05-06-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The quote is now from the Suntimes vs. Roeper . Either way, the cover is just alright - the movie outstanding. Will buy this one for sure.
Old 05-06-03, 01:34 PM

Well, at least Scorsese left the World Trade Towers off the cover. If only he had left them out of the movie...

Last edited by loyalcitizen; 05-06-03 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-06-03, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by djtoell
Why? The tattered flag was on the original poster, and there was no problem then.

DJ
I think the image of a tattered flag would give off an anti-American image.
Old 05-06-03, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Rizor
I think the image of a tattered flag would give off an anti-American image.
No one thought that when it was on the poster, so I'm still wondering how that would be a consideration for the DVD even though it was perfectly fine for the poster. The tatters are there to create the outline of the NYC skyline, so I don't see how anyone can reasonably think it to be anti-American.

DJ
Old 05-06-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by djtoell
No one thought that when it was on the poster, so I'm still wondering how that would be a consideration for the DVD even though it was perfectly fine for the poster. The tatters are there to create the outline of the NYC skyline, so I don't see how anyone can reasonably think it to be anti-American.

DJ
There's a war going on! Look at how people handled Michael Moore at the Oscars. He was made fun of and ripped upon by millions. Look at what happened to the French after they said they wouldn't support the war. People stopped buying French products and started renaming French Fries for God's sake! French Fries! They're not even French! I just finished reading an article on the Matrix in TIME and everytime they mentioned the film's French villian, the reporter would say how typical it was of a Frenchman to be evil. It's utter madness. The tattered flag was nothing huge last winter, but skyline or no skyline, today it's almost a sign that says "PLEASE KICK OUR ASS!"
Old 05-06-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's it... it's official. I'm quitting my job today to start doing graphic design on DVD covers.

How hard can it be? Cut famous person's head. Make really, really big. Paste.

People who are really into graphic design must throw up whenever they go near a Best Buy or Blockbuster...
Old 05-06-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,297 Likes on 942 Posts
[snip]....The tattered flag was nothing huge last winter, but skyline or no skyline, today it's almost a sign that says "PLEASE KICK OUR ASS!"
I know you have your opinion but I see a tattered flag as a symbol of a country that isn't afraid to fight (and take a few lumps)and one that's been through strife. Our country was borne out of battle and a tattered flag is symbolic of it's history.

It's just perceptions and I see it differently, that's all. It's cool. I wished they had kept the flag on the DVD cover. But, it's just a cover and covers hardly ever (see my previous thoughts on Real Genius ) dictate what I buy.
Old 05-06-03, 06:44 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by loyalcitizen
Well, at least Scorsese left the World Trade Towers off the cover. If only he had left them out of the movie...
I've always wondered what scorsese does between films... and now I know... he designs pc cover art for dvds.
Old 05-06-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by TomOpus
I know you have your opinion but I see a tattered flag as a symbol of a country that isn't afraid to fight (and take a few lumps)and one that's been through strife. Our country was borne out of battle and a tattered flag is symbolic of it's history.

It's just perceptions and I see it differently, that's all. It's cool. I wished they had kept the flag on the DVD cover. But, it's just a cover and covers hardly ever (see my previous thoughts on Real Genius ) dictate what I buy.
I like the flag too, and I'm not saying it's really my opinion just something Miramax did to play it safe.
Old 05-06-03, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a war going on! Look at how people handled Michael Moore at the Oscars. He was made fun of and ripped upon by millions. Look at what happened to the French after they said they wouldn't support the war. People stopped buying French products and started renaming French Fries for God's sake! French Fries! They're not even French! I just finished reading an article on the Matrix in TIME and everytime they mentioned the film's French villian, the reporter would say how typical it was of a Frenchman to be evil. It's utter madness. The tattered flag was nothing huge last winter, but skyline or no skyline, today it's almost a sign that says "PLEASE KICK OUR ASS!"
Yes, exactly. As messed up as that logic is, I'm sure its exactly why the cover was changed.
Old 05-06-03, 09:31 PM

I really don't care too much what the cover art looks like, its what inside that counts. But if I had to choose I'd choose the orginal version.
Old 05-07-03, 02:20 AM

friggin' ridiculous. I was disgusted with "original" cover, now I am appalled. Darn shame for such a highly-acclaimed film, IMO.
Old 05-07-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

That's ridiculous. Not only was that part of the movie probably made before 9/11 happened, the presence of the towers at the end fit in very well with the movie's theme of great things being created by way of death and destruction.
Old 05-09-03, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
That's ridiculous. Not only was that part of the movie probably made before 9/11 happened, the presence of the towers at the end fit in very well with the movie's theme of great things being created by way of death and destruction.

It obviously was shot before 9/11. The problem is that showing them caused people in the theatre to start talking about the towers. Lots of people that I've talked to were wondering why the scene wasn't extended to show the skyline sans towers.

In short, by showing them he turned the attention away from discussion of the movie, to discussion of the towers.

Last edited by loyalcitizen; 05-09-03 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-09-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man 'dem heads be 'effen huge.
Old 05-09-03, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It obviously was shot before 9/11. The problem is that showing them caused people in the theatre to start talking about the towers. Lots of people that I've talked to were wondering why the scene wasn't extended to show the skyline sans towers.

In short, by showing them he turned the attention away from discussion of the movie, to discussion of the towers.
The last shot went through the skyline in all its different variations except for the present day one. Personally, I'm happier they didn't show the current, because then you'd be quickly cutting to an image with the towers and then to one without them. It would have made people even more upset.
Old 05-09-03, 10:21 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
The torn flag which made the New York City skyline was great.

None of the names match up.

The heads are huge.

The studios think Americans are too stupid to buy a movie if it doesn't have big faces of the stars on the cover.

So I choose "No" on this one. Besides, the Canadian prices on these imports are usually cheaper anyway.

-- Jough
Old 05-13-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
EVEN YOUR AD BANNERS ARE NO MATCH FOR OUR BIG-HEAD MIGHT!

Old 05-18-03, 01:46 AM

Wow! Those are some heads!
Old 05-18-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Group Hug!
Old 05-18-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone wanna have a shot with custom cover art?
Old 05-18-03, 05:51 PM
Banned

DonnachaOne, you are cracking me UP