DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Hardware cancelled? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/290192-hardware-cancelled.html)

philo 05-03-03 10:29 PM

Hardware cancelled?

Can anyone confirm that Miramax has cancelled it's scheduled May 6th release of HARDWARE?

I read of a German R2 release. Anyone have any details on this or whether it too is cancelled?

Thanks.

tacomantt 05-04-03 06:18 AM

DavisDVD.com says Harware has been cancelled and that no new street date has been issued. Also, no official reason given either.

matome 05-04-03 08:03 AM

It didn't show up on my preorder invoice from DVDPlanet this week either. :(

philo 05-04-03 06:49 PM

Thanks for the info. Why must they torture us with these cancellations?

Can anyone recommend a good place online where I could find the German version? -wink-

So far I found www.1a-dvdshop.ch but I'm open to other suggestions.

SunMonkey 05-04-03 07:30 PM

Crap. I was just watching my VHS copy wondering when I could see it with any semblance of clarity.

Randy810 05-04-03 08:13 PM

Hardware is still on my preorder invoice and is still listed on the DVDPlanet web site as available on 5/6. Any idea what is really the situation?

mjduda 05-04-03 08:51 PM

My DeepDiscountDVD order says that it shipped.

philo 05-04-03 11:05 PM

Wow, how strange. I wonder why there's no cover art up at DDD.

Anyone think it's possible that some places received shipments prior to the supposed cancellation?

dlbsyst 05-04-03 11:38 PM

I hope so as I just placed an order with DDD. --Edward

Pac-Rat 05-05-03 12:05 AM

Great. :rolleyes:
I just found out about it Wednesday, and placed an order (@DDD) Thursday. Now it's been cancelled? :mad:

dlbsyst 05-05-03 01:05 AM

Pac-Rat,

I think DDD must have gotten in a shipment as mjduda says his order has shipped. Maybe yours will ship out Monday. --Edward

Randy810 05-05-03 01:58 PM

I am speaking to a CSR {does not want name mentioned} at BV right now. HARDWARE has indeed been cancelled. NO shippments have been sent to the stores, and more puzzling is that it was cancelled on 4/7/03. He has no info on why it was cancelled and is just as puzzled as we are.

very sad

:(

shill66 05-05-03 02:26 PM

DDD say they DON'T have it in stock in the warehouse. I just phoned and talked to someone who checked it on their inventory system.

Loc Nar 05-05-03 03:12 PM

Odds that mjduda has been shipped a copy of Hardware Wars? 5:1.

Randy810 05-05-03 03:39 PM

Philo
Is the link correct for the german site offering HARDWARE? I cannot reach it at all.

philo 05-05-03 04:44 PM

Oops, a comma sneaked into my link. It's been corrected now.

Just search for "Hardware" The results will list "Mark 13: Red Edition" which must be an alternate title.

It comes to about $25 w/shipping.

http://www.1a-dvdshop.ch/imgbc/mark_13_rc2f.jpg

Randy810 05-05-03 08:29 PM

AutunmNights

I just placed an order for HARDWARE with 1A-DVDShop.ch
I used Babblefish but it was a bit tricky placing the order. I used my Amex card and they also accept Visa and MC. They had a small blurb when the order invoice came up, stating that you must send in a fax of the front and back of the card used. I did not and received an email confirmation about 20 minutes later. My total for the dvd with shipping added was 27.73. For the conversion I used FXConverter.

The only difficulty I had was in translation, but I double checked everything and it went all right.

Hope this helps, I was so angry that BV waited until now to let us know it was cancelled I had to rush and order it.
By the way, this site is the only one I found that had it listed for sale and they give the country of release as the UK.

Randy810 05-05-03 08:42 PM

I tried the medienhandel.st/eckert.htm site and could not access anything. No dvd titles came up when I clicked on the subfolders.
Anyone else try and have better luck than I did?

philo 05-05-03 09:10 PM

I had to switch over to IE in order to locate HARDWARE at medienhandel. Couldn't find it with their search but I navigated the folders, LaserParadise/Red Edition DVD.

It lists the price as 12 Euros. Unfortunately their shipment page lists every Zone but Zone 1.

Do they even ship to the U.S. It doesn't look like it. :hscratch:

----
Edit:

Ok, it looks like they do ship to the U.S. When I clicked Order and scrolled down, U.S. is listed under Zone 6. The shipping would be 14 Euros, more than the disc.

The total on this is almost $30 according to XE.com

I think I might go ahead and try dvdshop too.

Randy810 05-05-03 11:02 PM

Let me know how it goes with your order at dvdshop. I have trouble using babblefish and I would like to know I did the ordering correctly.
This dvd better have good video and audio since I am aggrevating myself over it.

:)

jonathan.e 05-06-03 01:53 AM

Originally posted by AutumnNights
Dunno if you two are into it, but another cool title (IMO) on dvd in Germany is "Dark Angel aka I Come in Peace" ( http://www.medienhandel.at/g11056.htm )

Great find! One of my faves. Can’t see this on any other site though and strangely the "18" on the back is only used on UK DVDs and VHS’ definitely not on German releases. Do you have a copy of this? Can you confirm it’s legit?

jonathan.e 05-06-03 05:18 AM

Originally posted by AutumnNights
In regards to the 18-rating, is that the "FSK18" rating that the violent films in Germany are given ?

That’s a different logo to the one on the cover though and if it’s a German release how come all the text is in English? Very weird. I’ve mailed 1a.dvd.ch to see if they can stock it as I’ve got an account with them and would rather get it from someone I’ve ordered from before but thanks for those other links. I see some joker on EBay is selling a DVD of Dark Angel as well, either ripped from this "German" DVD or pirated from the laserdisc (an early fatality of laser rot for me unfortunately).

It should be prime Anchor Bay material, preferably with a Brian Benben, Craig Baxley and Dolph Lundgren commentary. Quality movie.

jonathan.e 05-06-03 06:21 AM

Just got word back from 1A who say that the DVD is a bootleg. :( Thought it looked a bit iffy.

philo 05-06-03 07:58 PM

I translated this bit of text from their site. It was at the bottom of the shopping cart page, located next to a large image of a lock.

"The next sides are secured by SSL. None of your entered information can be intercepted of third, since the data are coded."

Another page mentions VAT. This was the translation, also from google.translate.com

"Note: - all prices are indicated and also in CHF loaded - abroad no partial deliveries are dispatched - German supplies by us are declared in Swiss Franconias, therefore all VAT/customs duties are inclusive - foreign credit cards can be accepted only with copy of these."

I don't know if VAT would be deducted for foreign orders. Maybe jonathan can answer that.

As mentioned previously, the page also says this,

"During delivery to foreign markets we must insist on a front and a back picture of your credit card, this are a unique process and in your user account are noted."

jonathan.e 05-07-03 12:57 AM

Couldn’t tell you about VAT/Tax as I’m within Europe so it’s included when I check out. Be nice if they were cheaper (it’s Switzerland though so no surprise) but apart from that I can’t fault them. Try mailing them about removing VAT [email protected] - they respond quickly and in English.