Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Best Dvd of the Street Fighter Movies(Chiba not Van Damme)

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering what is the best dvd releases of Street Fighter, Return of the Street Fighter, and Sister Street Fighter?
Old 05-03-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have not yet done alot of research on these titles to find the best versions, but I am happy with what I have for now. I can give a thumbs up for the VCI, 2002 release of The Street Fighter. it's widescreen and un-cut. you'll have to check and see if it's OOP. looks to be the same transfer on the 10 Faces of Sonny Chiba box set....10 films for cheap....the others are so so to poor in quality. I only have Sister.... in that set also. but I really like the VCI of the first film. hope that helps a little. Chiba is the man!!!

sorry, have not checked on the imports.

Last edited by gutwrencher; 05-03-03 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-03-03, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
here is the vci version

Its only 7.99 each. I don't think any of the versions are the cut versions.
Old 05-03-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
The quality on this one is good, especially for an MSRP of $9.99. This was released by Diamond Entertainment. You can find it at FYE or Suncoast B&M for under $10. The only thing is that there is no Japanese track, only English dub but that is Ok. The dubbing only makes these classics even better.

The Streetfighter and Return of the Streetfighter double feature
Single sided dual layer disc
Widescreen non-anamorphic OAR 2.35:1
English Dolby Digital Stereo
Uncut

You can read some comments from Amazon
here

Last edited by inri222; 05-03-03 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-06-03, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by inri222
The quality on this one is good, especially for an MSRP of $9.99. This was released by Diamond Entertainment. You can find it at FYE or Suncoast B&M for under $10. The only thing is that there is no Japanese track, only English dub but that is Ok. The dubbing only makes these classics even better.

The Streetfighter and Return of the Streetfighter double feature
Single sided dual layer disc
Widescreen non-anamorphic OAR 2.35:1
English Dolby Digital Stereo
Uncut

I own this one and back up inri222's recommendation. Uncut in all its bone-crunching x-ray glory. Diamond Entertainment also released the third and fourth STREET FIGHTER films on a "two-fer" DVD for the same price.
Old 05-07-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I've got both Diamond sets (all four films) and they are worth it for the price. All widescreen.
Old 05-08-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

from the dvdempire review the vci version doesn't look that good.
Old 05-08-03, 08:21 PM

Another thumbs-up for the Diamond disc. I've heard that these are burned from a laserdisc master, but the picture quality is pretty decent, considering that I paid 6 bucks or so for it.
Old 05-08-03, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally posted by Nocturnaloner
Another thumbs-up for the Diamond disc. I've heard that these are burned from a laserdisc master, but the picture quality is pretty decent, considering that I paid 6 bucks or so for it.
And ya gotta love the "pulp" cover-artwork!
Old 05-09-03, 07:52 PM
Banned

[OT] Here's an amusing depiction site for the film .. the reviewer captures the feel and dimensions of some aspects of the movie well enough. I knew that was a carrot ....

http://www.neo-modus.com/stuntpeople...eetfighter.htm

Here's the Platinum Disc Corp. version that I have of The Street Fighter. I was able to snag a copy from Circuit City a couple years ago for $5. Well worth the price .. I also have Return of and Last Revenge. They were both the same cost and released by the same company.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...&frm=sh_google

I can't compare to the VCI or other DVD versions of this film, but what I can say is that for a non-anamorphic letterbox presentation of a movie from 1974, it ain't half bad at all. The picture, although lacking in picture quality when compared to more modern films, is quite clear with some film grain throughout. The soundtrack, done in DD stereo, is ok .. but when compared to any other film from '74, yeah .. this is not too bad either. If you're looking for dynamic range .. forget it, but there is at least some separation. Switch to analog and let Prologic take over .. bigger difference there.

Realistically, I get so caught up in the movie ... "Tehhhlly, Tehhllly .. ", I almost can't even be bothered with the lack of stunning quality of A/V. On the flip side, if you want that .. go buy anything Lucas has put out recently. Too bad the content is sorely lacking.

http://cover09.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/179499.jpg
Old 05-09-03, 10:01 PM

I've also seen a Front Row version of the first STREET FIGHTER movie in stores and although I haven't viewed that particular edition, I do own several other Front Row martial arts flicks and they all look great for the low price.

"Isn't that mean and nasty!" -- Sonny Chiba
Old 05-09-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Thanks for the info, guys. I've been passing on these up until now, because my only experience with a "public domain" DVD was a bad one. I bought Jackie Chan's Drunken Master (this was before the Columbia one was announced) from Front Row, I think, and it was terrible! Mastered from an old video that didn't even track properly!
Anyway, if these Street Fighter discs are ported from the New Line LD they should look ok to me (too bad they couldn't have ported the Japanese audio track from the LD as well)
Old 05-10-03, 01:37 AM

Are all the sequels uncut or just the original film?

I had the Front Row version of the first film. Only costed me $4,so i thought might as well check it out. Since i've been waiting years to see the film in OAR of course, after catching a glimpse of how horrible it looked in P&S on Cinemax a few years back.

Anyway the transfer was probably taken from the New Line LD as well. I thought it looked good for the price + not being a legit new transfer anyway.

Yet i have not seen the sequels yet & if if i can find the Diamond double feature with them. I may pick that up along with there double feature of the first two films.
Old 05-10-03, 03:32 AM
AJP
Suspended - needs to provide a working email

If anyone is looking to pick up any of the Street Fighter movies, I'd recommend doing a street fighter title search at deepdiscountdvd.

They've got several of the different releases of these films. Unfortunately, being DDD, they have less than optimal information on the disc specs.

Here's an old thread about some of the different versions:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...street+fighter

I have the "Great Street Fighter Movies" disc with SF, Return of SF and SF's Last Revenge that the last poster in the linked thread recommended.

I got it at DDD and they still have it listed for about $5. SF is pretty obviously another port of the New Line LD I had and the sequels, which I hadn't seen before, are of comparable quality. It's worth considering.
Old 05-10-03, 06:51 PM

I had the Diamond and BFS/American Home Treasures editions of the "Street Fighter" movies, but gave them both up when Brentwood issued their 10-movie "10 Faces of Sonny Chiba" set. They're all there, plus six other titles of varying quality ("Legend of Eight Samurai," "The Bodyguard," "Dragon Princess," "Shogun's Ninja," "Karate Warriors" and "Samurai Reincarnation." The transfers for the "Street Fighter" movies looked to be the same to me as the other companies.

Last edited by RLott; 05-11-03 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-10-03, 05:47 PM

Does anyone own the STREET FIGHTER SAGA-COMPLETE SET by VCI?

If so, how is the quality?

Deep Discount states that it's 2.35 (OAR).

It appears that the Diamond Versions, which I gather are the best according to these threads are out of print and nowhere to be found.
Old 08-11-03, 07:28 AM

I recently picked up the Front Row versions of STREET FIGHTER'S LAST REVENGE and SISTER STREET FIGHTER. Both look great and at six bucks each, a great value. Front Row has always impressed me with their budget-priced DVDs.

BTW, SISTER is only marginally a Street Fighter film. Chiba's only in it for a few brief scenes as a mentor-type character. (And the voice actor they used for the english dub makes him sound like a bit of a twerp.) Regardless, it's a great martial arts flick and I still recommend getting it. (At six bucks, you can't lose.)
Old 08-11-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got openly chastised right here at DVDTalk for having the Diamond 'bootlegs'.

Ah, it's good to hear I'm not the only one. Great discs.
Old 08-11-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is there any chance of a subtitiled version to come out any time soon, or maybe get tarantino to get disney to rerelease it uncut into theaters and then on to video.
Old 08-21-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just ordered the "Street Fighter Saga" with all four films on 2 DVD's (VCI). Can't wait to see these again!

I'll give a heads-up when I get them.
Old 08-21-03, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by The Exister
Just ordered the "Street Fighter Saga" with all four films on 2 DVD's (VCI). Can't wait to see these again!

I'll give a heads-up when I get them.
yeah...was going to watch these a few days ago but after breaking my thumb, had a bad reaction to pain meds. maybe tonight if I can stop heaving.