DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   Babylon 5, initial season 2 thoughts (possible spolers) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/290086-babylon-5-initial-season-2-thoughts-possible-spolers.html)

IC_Freeze 05-03-03 09:34 AM

Babylon 5, initial season 2 thoughts (possible spolers)

Ok well I'm about 5 episodes into B5 and it's on par with the hype and what I expected. Though there are some changes that I'm not too sure about. First is the changing of the captain, was this scripted in the story from the beginning or was this some sort of work around due? It seemed so sudden, the majority of the first season was spent on building the up Sinclair's character and it seemed all for nothing..... at least for the moment. Plus, the new captain, Sheridan, seems a bit cranky and less likeable.

Next is Londo Mollari. He's beginning to piss some people off while GKar is probably the most interesting and likeable character for the moment.

ok that's my thoughts for now. since I haven't seen the rest of the episodes plz try not to spoil any thing :)

Seeker 05-03-03 10:11 AM

Although there were some actor glitches that had to be worked around, Strazynski wasted nothing.

Nothing in this series is "all for nothing". that's all I can say given your request.

And characters definitely change and develop.

Eric F 05-03-03 10:36 AM

Bugs me a bit that they showed the transformed Delenn in the first two openings. I wonder how they could have missed that?

Also, I find the PQ and sound just so-so. I watched the S1 finale before moving on to S2, and it seemed better in that respect.

Josh-da-man 05-03-03 02:34 PM

Re: Babylon 5, initial season 2 thoughts (possible spolers)

Originally posted by IC_Freeze
Ok well I'm about 5 episodes into B5 and it's on par with the hype and what I expected. Though there are some changes that I'm not too sure about. First is the changing of the captain, was this scripted in the story from the beginning or was this some sort of work around due? It seemed so sudden, the majority of the first season was spent on building the up Sinclair's character and it seemed all for nothing..... at least for the moment. Plus, the new captain, Sheridan, seems a bit cranky and less likeable.

Next is Londo Mollari. He's beginning to piss some people off while GKar is probably the most interesting and likeable character for the moment.

Londo is starting to piss you off? :lol:

Now onto the Sinclair/Sheridan casting switch...

This was more of a business/casting decision than storyline dictated. I'm not really sure what the full story is, whether O'Hare wanted to leave, or the studios wanted a higher profile (and more James T Kirk-like) leading man.

At any rate, at the time of the switch, JMS has said that Sheridan was brought in earlier than he would've been had Sinclair stayed. The Sheridan character was always supposed to be there, but since Sinclair left, Sheridan's role was beefed up and he was brought out sooner, probably picking up a few points of Sinclair's arc. JMS also said that as the series progressed, Sinclair would've had a lessened role over the course of the series, and that his removal from the playing field didn't change much.

JMS has always said he's built trap-doors into the series so he could remove any characters if he had to without changing his grand scheme.

And you will see Sinclair again. He still has a pretty important role to fill. All will be made clear.

Josh-da-man 05-03-03 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Eric F
Bugs me a bit that they showed the transformed Delenn in the first two openings. I wonder how they could have missed that?

Huh. I think that was a mistake on the new widescreen or DVD transfers.

When the series originally broadcast in syndication and on TNT, I'm pretty darned sure that when Delenn came up in the credits, they showed the old bone-headed S1 Delenn for the frist two episodes, until after she came out of the chrysalis.

Jlbkwrm 05-03-03 03:05 PM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
When the series originally broadcast in syndication and on TNT, I'm pretty darned sure that when Delenn came up in the credits, they showed the old bone-headed S1 Delenn for the frist two episodes, until after she came out of the chrysalis.
It looks like the DVDs only got one opening for S2, when there are at least three floating around.

I found this B5 Episode Explorer thing, and it has the relevant JMS message board posts for every episode (Good reading; all kinds of interesting background information, but it's pretty spoiler-free.) The first opening credits sequence appears to be the one we have, but with images of Old Delenn. It ran for the first two episodes. Then came the opening we have, and that lasted a few episodes. The third opening was supposed to show up around episode five or so, but I don't think it did. In addition to a re-recorded opening monologue (the original one was done prior to the CGI generation. The second one supposedly matches up better), there were some slight musical tweaks, a rank change for Ivanova, and the addition of Keffer's rank to his credit. It looks like, on episode 13, they're still using opening #2.

DrOBoogie1 05-03-03 05:38 PM

I'm very pleased with the season 2 DVDs. The extras are okay, nothing outstanding, but that's not why we buy these, is it? Look for the blooper reel on disc 6.

If you're watching for the first time, you are in for a treat. Season 2 progresses better than season 1, and by the end of it, you'll be anxious for season 3.

Speaking of which, when is season 3 coming to DVD? Have they moved up the release schedule? JMS says that S3 is all but done.

I see WHV is re-releasing Seasons 1 & 2 together on May 13.

DrOBoogie1 05-03-03 05:44 PM

BTW, I have been watching the Star Trek TNG DVDs consistently since they started coming out last year, and I am nearly done with Season 7. It's amazing to me how bad many of the shows were that last season, while at the same time, Babylon 5 and Deep Space Nine (both of which I am also watching on DVD) were doing such good work. Yet TNG still gets credited as being one of the greatest sci-fi series ever.

JSwarce 05-03-03 11:03 PM

Anybody have some pixeliation problems on Episode 2? Noticable when Sheridan is talking to his sister alone (the first time). I replayed the scene and it was there again. Maybe a bad disc? No scratches on the disc at all and it wasn't a floater. Otherwise the picture looks very good.

I, too, was ticked off at the Delenn shot in the opening credits. I did know this transformation was going to happen, but it was sloppy editing on WHV's part. Also, the main menu looks kind of hokey, with the way the characters' heads interchange. Not as smooth as the 1st set.

But hey, it's all about the story, anyways!!:thumbsup:

Londo 05-04-03 12:59 AM

Yes, Sinclair was always destined to leave.. it just happened sooner than Joe originally planned... but he ends up where he was always supposed to be...

and if you think I'm just starting to piss you off.....

heh

heh

heh

IC_Freeze 05-05-03 01:53 PM

i have finished the season2, all I can say is holy ****, I can't wait for season 3 to come!! You guys weren't kidding on how awesome this season is.

Jlbkwrm 05-05-03 02:47 PM

i have finished the season2, all I can say is holy ****, I can't wait for season 3 to come!! You guys weren't kidding on how awesome this season is.
Yeah. It took me five months to get around to finishing the first season (I'd build up some momentum, and then hit an episode like TKO), and only five days to finish the season 2 DVDs.

Wow. That's some good story. The characters seem better defined this season, too. Vir and Lennier, in particular, seem to have depth that was missing before.

Spoiler:
Pretty much every scene involving the Centauri/Narn conflict had me cringing. Painful stuff to watch, in a genre where giant wars and battles are usually supposed to get people cheering.

Heliosphann 05-05-03 08:03 PM

I'm finding that a lot of the acting on B5 is sub par (at least up through S2)... Not so much the main leads, but the extra's and minor castmembers are mostly downright wretched. Then there's the dialogue. Every now and a character will say a line or two and I'm like, "Did he just say what I think he said?" I mean totally ridiculous lines. Also don't forget the lame CGI and weak special effects, which are anything but polished. At least they serve their purpose.

Now I'm not saying I don't like B5, because I really enjoyed season 1 and I like what episodes I've seen of season 2. I love B5's concept of a linear storyline compared to the Star Trek series. I just wished they had the production values of the Trek series (bar the original). Oh and also a super hottie that likes to wear tight jumpsuits (ala Seven of Nine). :)

And as the DVD's go... Well the image quality goes from pretty good to downright nasty. It seems like some of the low light scenes are SUPER GRAINY as well as some other select shots. At least we get a nicely remixed 5.1 DD track that uses the surrounds to good effect. What I like most is I was able to pick both season's up for about $52 or so. If only I could do this with the Trek series dvd's.

Seeker 05-05-03 08:11 PM

And season 2 is NOTHING compared to Season 3.

Seeker 05-05-03 08:13 PM

Originally posted by Heliosphann
I'm finding that a lot of the acting on B5 is sub par (at least up through S2)... Not so much the main leads, but the extra's and minor castmembers are mostly downright wretched. Then there's the dialogue. Every now and a character will say a line or two and I'm like, "Did he just say what I think he said?" I mean totally ridiculous lines. Oh, don't forget the lame CGI and special effects which are anything but polished, but serve their purpose.

Now I'm not saying I don't like B5, because I enjoyed season 1 and I like what episodes I've seen of season 2. I love B5's concept of a linear storyline, compared to the Star Trek series. I just wished they had the production values of the Trek series (bar the original). Oh and also a super hottie that likes to wear tight jumpsuits (ala Seven of Nine). :)

Yeah, you're right - unfortunately, this is all about the STORY, not the actors.

darkflounder 05-06-03 02:39 AM

Originally posted by Heliosphann
I'm finding that a lot of the acting on B5 is sub par (at least up through S2)... Not so much the main leads, but the extra's and minor castmembers are mostly downright wretched. Then there's the dialogue. Every now and a character will say a line or two and I'm like, "Did he just say what I think he said?" I mean totally ridiculous lines. Also don't forget the lame CGI and weak special effects, which are anything but polished. At least they serve their purpose.

Now I'm not saying I don't like B5, because I really enjoyed season 1 and I like what episodes I've seen of season 2. I love B5's concept of a linear storyline compared to the Star Trek series. I just wished they had the production values of the Trek series (bar the original). Oh and also a super hottie that likes to wear tight jumpsuits (ala Seven of Nine). :)

I don't remember any really bad dialogue. I do remember some of the incredible dialoge, though. Especially anytime G'kar is on screen.

Remember, this show was in the early 90's. Yes, by today's standards, it's pretty weak CGI. S2 of this show was 10 years ago.

And if you want a super hottie in a tight outfit, what's wrong with Lyta and Ivanova?? Especially Susan's "sex" scene. :drool:

darkflounder 05-06-03 02:41 AM

If you think Season 2 is bad ass, S3 will knock your ass in the dirt. Definitely the best "cliffhanger" of all the seasons. ;)

rsa 05-06-03 04:35 AM

I've just finished watching S2, commantaries included, and just as Ivanova was summing up I nearly felt a tear com to my eye and (did) say out loud..

'Babylon 5 is a sort of quasi religous experiance'

I didn't expect that! Now to find that gag reel.

Just a note for those who are new to the series. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE COMMANTARIES unless you want to hear some MAJOR spoilers.

This set arrived here (in NZ) 1 day before it was released in the US (I ordered it through amazon.ca, my first order with them). I'd have finished watching it much sooner but I had some previously organised (serious) partying to do.

darkflounder 05-06-03 04:58 AM

Originally posted by rsa
I've just finished watching S2, commantaries included, and just as Ivanova was summing up I nearly felt a tear com to my eye and (did) say out loud..

'Babylon 5 is a sort of quasi religous experiance'

I've only cried watching a TV show twice in my life.

1 - Snoopy Come Home when I was 6 years old.

2 - "Sleeping in Light" the final episode of Babylon 5.

Seeker 05-06-03 10:09 PM

The story is the essence here. and it is a great story.

KayUK 05-07-03 03:09 AM

I loved the commentary by Susan, Gerry and Bruce, very funny at times, and a bit moving at the end when they genuinely thanked the B5 fans for their support over the years.

I realise it must cost to get the actors in a room reviewing the episode, but damn I would have liked a lot more commentarys like that on S2.