DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   DEAD & BURIED news... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/290013-dead-buried-news.html)

highdef 05-02-03 06:05 PM

DEAD & BURIED news...

Fangoria.com posted that:

DEAD & BURIED will be presented in new 1.85:1, 16x9-enhanced transfers, with a 6.1 DTS-ES soundtrack.

Streeting July 29 as a two-disc set that Lustig promises “will knock your socks off.” He’s not kidding; the extras include:

• Audio commentary by Sherman
• Audio commentary by co-writer/co-producer Ron Shusett and actress Linda Turley
• Audio commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster
• Interviews with makeup FX designer Stan Winston, actor Robert Englund and co-writer Dan O’Bannon
• Location stills shot by Poster
• Theatrical trailers and teaser
• Poster/still gallery

gutwrencher 05-02-03 06:26 PM

is this a Blue Underground release? I've got the region 2 dvd....but I'll upgrade.

whotony 05-02-03 11:37 PM

thats funny. i was just on imdb.com yesterday looking up facts for this movie.
i actually read the book, sheesh late 70's, i think.

shill66 05-02-03 11:56 PM

Count me in for an upgrade too!

highdef 05-03-03 08:24 AM

Yes, gutwrencher, DEAD & BURIED is a BU release.

gutwrencher 05-03-03 11:54 AM

Originally posted by highdef
Yes, gutwrencher, DEAD & BURIED is a BU release.
thats the best news of all...thanks.:thumbsup:

Nocturnaloner 05-03-03 05:51 PM

Hey, thanks for the word on this! A great, overlooked horror film, IMO. I also have the R2 (Dragon) version of this, and I look forward to the upgrade.

TomOpus 07-13-03 09:49 AM

Here's a reminder to be on the lookout soon for this. It's a Limited Edition (50,000) set. Here's the link to the movie info.

freudguy 07-13-03 04:40 PM

Thanks for the update! Does anyone have this besides Amazon?

TomOpus 07-13-03 06:34 PM

Best Buy has it on their site. They should also carry it in their stores. They've been pretty good (at least at the one I visit) about carrying Blue Underground discs. Just yesterday I picked up Daughters of Darkness and The Crazies.

ernestrp 07-13-03 06:38 PM

BestBuy.com, 19.99:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....5&type=product

Dvdempire.com, 20.97.

gutwrencher 07-14-03 08:26 AM

Originally posted by TomOpus
Just yesterday I picked up Daughters of Darkness and The Crazies.
nice adds TomOpus. I've got my D & B pre-ordered. looks like I'll be needing to dedicate an entire shelf to BU titles...I own them all so far and there are many, many more to come.

TomOpus 07-14-03 09:15 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
....I've got my D & B pre-ordered. looks like I'll be needing to dedicate an entire shelf to BU titles...I own them all so far and there are many, many more to come.
I've lately felt the need to seek movies outside of the mainstream. It's nice to find a company such as BU that has a small, well-managed catalog. They really treat their films with respect. Plus the icing is that they are affordable. I'll be checking their site often to see what's on the horizon with their releases. :up:

RichDB10 07-17-03 06:23 AM

Not long to wait now! and have across this little 'appetizer'

www.monstersatplay.com/deadnburied.shtml

Jaymole 07-17-03 07:32 AM

Just pre-ordered it at Deep Discount for $17.98. I can't wait!

The Exister 07-17-03 07:54 AM

I used my Master Card/Amazon $15.00 GC + STL to pre-order this and House of Wax.

Can't wait for either! My Dead and Buried VHS copy is a worn out ex-rental, and I'll be glad to replace it. And House of Wax is one of the greatest Vincent Price movies of all time, in my opinion.

TomOpus 07-29-03 10:07 PM

Just got back from Best Buy with my copy of Dead & Buried! I snagged #658 (out of 50,000). I can't wait to watch it this weekend. I haven't seen it since it was first released and I saw it at a drive-in.

gutwrencher 07-29-03 10:47 PM

Originally posted by TomOpus
Just got back from Best Buy with my copy of Dead & Buried! I snagged #658 (out of 50,000). I can't wait to watch it this weekend. I haven't seen it since it was first released and I saw it at a drive-in.
thats a nice #. I'm much deeper at #12,832:lol:

great film...one of my personal favs...and this edition beats the hell out of my region 2 copy.:thumbsup:

djtoell 07-29-03 11:59 PM

I got to meet director Gary Sherman last night at a screening here in NYC of a decent (although a bit faded) uncut 35mm print of Dead & Buried. Blue Undergound ran the event, and Bill Lustig and crew brought along a bunch of un-numbered DVD covers for Sherman to sign for us (just the covers alone, since the disc wasn't officially available yet, of course). I wonder how limited the un-numbered versions are? ;)

BTW, Sherman was great to talk to, and he's obviously still proud (and justifiably so) of his film. He was also generous enough to sign my DVD of perhaps my favorite film of his, Wanted: Dead or Alive. I'm looking forward to Deathline (aka Raw Meat) next month from MGM, and Vice Squad is planned for next year from Blue Underground, as well. It's a Gary Sherman renaissance!

DJ

salamander2 07-30-03 02:53 PM

Originally posted by djtoell
I got to meet director Gary Sherman last night at a screening here in NYC of a decent (although a bit faded) uncut 35mm print of Dead & Buried. Blue Undergound ran the event, and Bill Lustig and crew brought along a bunch of un-numbered DVD covers for Sherman to sign for us (just the covers alone, since the disc wasn't officially available yet, of course). I wonder how limited the un-numbered versions are? ;)

BTW, Sherman was great to talk to, and he's obviously still proud (and justifiably so) of his film. He was also generous enough to sign my DVD of perhaps my favorite film of his, Wanted: Dead or Alive. I'm looking forward to Deathline (aka Raw Meat) next month from MGM, and Vice Squad is planned for next year from Blue Underground, as well. It's a Gary Sherman renaissance!

DJ

What was the end credit music on the print you saw? I read on over at horrordvds that the end credit music on the DVD is completely different than the theatrical presentation. JUst confirming if this is true.

Count_Zero 07-30-03 03:05 PM

...and Vice Squad is planned for next year from Blue Underground, as well. It's a Gary Sherman renaissance!
Hot damn!!! That's good to hear. Been waiting on a good edition of that movie since my ancient VHS tape took the big dirt nap in the early 90s!

BTW: Did Mr. Sherman happen to say anything about any new movies? I mean, where's this guy been? Poltergeist III was pretty horrible but he had a really decent B-movie career going for a while there and then just...disappeared.

djtoell 07-30-03 04:28 PM

Originally posted by salamander2
What was the end credit music on the print you saw? I read on over at horrordvds that the end credit music on the DVD is completely different than the theatrical presentation. JUst confirming if this is true.
I didn't know about the end credit music controversy before the screening, so I wasn't paying much attention to whether it happened to be the same as the title sequence music or not. Sorry. FWIW, Gary Sherman didn't mention any problem with the music on the DVD, although he did mention that the color timing on the DVD was perfect, as it was overseen by the director of photography, Steve Poster (who also recently did a beautiful job on Donnie Darko).

Originally posted by
Count_Zero

BTW: Did Mr. Sherman happen to say anything about any new movies? I mean, where's this guy been?
Poltergeist III was pretty horrible but he had a really decent B-movie career going for a while there and then just...disappeared.

He mentioned working on a book about hockey, of all things. Apparently the book will focus on the damage to players' noses during their careers, featuring before-and-after photos. It sounded weird, but interesting. I didn't hear him mention anything about any upcoming film projects.

DJ

Count_Zero 07-30-03 04:37 PM

He mentioned working on a book about hockey, of all things. Apparently the book will focus on the damage to players' noses during their careers, featuring before-and-after photos.
:D That's hilarious! Wow, that's just about the absolute last thing in the world I would have guessed...

malkmuz 07-31-03 08:26 PM

I picked this up yesterday on account of this thread, and it was awesome! DVDTalk should get a cut of the money for all the movies you guys have mad me buy...

nazz 07-31-03 10:55 PM

Still waiting to hear that my DDD preorder has shipped. :(

paradicelost 08-01-03 12:36 AM

I picked this up just because word of mouth. I was going to rent it but it was already checked out at the only store i will rent from. They had it for sale so i went ahead and bought it. Paid a few bucks more there then i would have anywhere else(something i'm happy to do at an independent video store, espicially one that has a whole section devoted to the films of Lynch,Bava,and Ray Harryhausen.)
I really loved it too.
Speaking of BU, is the Toolbox Murders and the Prowler worth picking up.

Julie Walker 08-01-03 01:19 AM

I just finished watching it a few minutes ago for the first time.

Wow,it really truely creeped me out big time!

Very rare for that to happen to me nowadays.

The mono soundtrack was excellent & very atmospheric. Had me on edge at some spots,disturbed..& just a few unsettling images i can't get out of my head.

Another example at the superiority of 70's & early 80's horror compared to the majority of todays stuff.

Nocturnaloner 08-01-03 08:37 AM

I'm really glad that people are digging it! I picked up DEAD & BURIED at Best Buy along with Miracle Mile, another one of my sleeper favorites. I've had the R2 German (Dragon) edition of this for a while, but Blue Underground's blows it away.

jblackie 08-01-03 09:36 AM

Okay, I'm hooked. Just ordered it from DDD, based on this thread. Read the book years ago and can't even remember the plot, but do remember I couldn't put it down.

Hope it's all I hear...

flix1 08-01-03 10:05 AM

I picked it up at Best Buy yesterday. I know it was cheaper at DDD, but I heard about all the people who ordered from there were still waiting for it. I have to pay tax at DDD anyway, since they are based in IL.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to watch it this weekend.

gutwrencher 08-01-03 03:09 PM

Originally posted by paradicelost

Speaking of BU, is the Toolbox Murders and the Prowler worth picking up.

thats a big YES.....The Prowler has always been one of my personal favs.....pick up both.

madelinebh 08-01-03 04:52 PM

Originally posted by gutwrencher
thats a big YES.....The Prowler has always been one of my personal favs.....pick up both.
I would agree whole-heartedly with gutwrencher. The DVD and movie are great - a nice behind the scenes documentary is included showcasing Tom Savini's effects.

paradicelost 08-01-03 07:39 PM

i picked up "The Prowler" this afternoon but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I plan on getting Toolbox murders,Venom, and Contraband tomorrow and i go back to Wild and Wooly.

demonio 08-27-03 04:04 PM

I got this movie a couple weeks back just based on threads bragging it up, and that I'm a big horror mark.

I gotta say I was dissapointed in this movie, maybe I was expecting too much, but it was one of those movies that started off well and just fell flat, it had decent atmosphere but that didn't help too much. It could of used alot more gore, and the eyeball scene was good but not Fulci good.

LivingINClip 08-27-03 04:32 PM

You went in expecting or wanting a gore fest - the movie isn't about that.

gutwrencher 08-27-03 07:45 PM

Originally posted by demonio
It could of used alot more gore, and the eyeball scene was good but not Fulci good.
I'm a gore hound...but gore would have ruined this film. I'm a huge Fulci freak....even though he could be a sloppy film-maker. D & B is fine the way it is.

djtoell 08-27-03 08:27 PM

Much of the gore in the film was an afterthought, anyway. Gary Sherman's first cut of the film had much more humor and less gore in it. AVCO Embassy, the distributors, liked Sherman's original cut. Mark Damon, one of the men in the charge of the project, did not. Damon demanded additional shooting for more violence and gore. Damon also wanted much of the humor cut out. Sherman and editor Alan Balsam originally refused to have any part in the re-cut, but they eventually decided that they're rather have a bad cut releaed that they had done themselves than one done by someone else.

Damon, of course, was afraid that AVCO would overrule his decision for a less funny and more gory version and release Sherman's original cut, anyway. To make sure that this never happened (and cause all of the money he spent on re-shoots to go to waste), Damon had all of the excised footage destroyed. For the new DVD, Sherman and Blue Underground did an extensive search to find any of the deleted footage, but it is believed to be completely destroyed. I haven't picked up the DVD yet, but Sherman may relate this story on his commentary.

Sherman is apparently still pretty happy with the film as it exists now, but I'd really love to see his original cut. I found the film to be very funny, and if there's more of that, it'd be a real treat.

DJ