Your favorite way to get rid of skipping discs.

Old 05-01-03, 11:00 PM
Rest in Peace

Your favorite way to get rid of skipping discs.

I first try liquid Ivory soap, if that doesn't do it. I just use my manually operated, radial cleaning SkipDoctor. Your favorite way?
Old 05-01-03, 11:03 PM

I just run it under the faucet and wipe it off center-to-edge with a cloth. Hasn't failed me yet.
Old 05-01-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Rehevkor
I just run it under the faucet and wipe it off center-to-edge with a cloth. Hasn't failed me yet.
Me too, but it has failed me. Next step is boiling it: boil some water, drop in the disc for less than a minute, use tongs to pull it out, wipe with a dry cloth. Helps with those harder to get scuff marks.

I've seen some mention here of a toothpaste method to fix badly scratched discs, but never had it explained clearly enough to try it (I'm afraid my dvd player might start rinsing and spitting the next time I used that disc if I did it wrong).
Old 05-01-03, 11:15 PM

I use the boiling in method.....
Old 05-01-03, 11:23 PM
Suspended

Location: Sonoran Desert; a place where it doesn't matter whether or not one can pronounce Donnacha.
We used to have problems with our old DVD player which was 3 years old and tried many of the methods above. We bought a new player and haven't had any problems with those DVDs we had problems with before. How about buying a new player?
Old 05-01-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"Pull!" *disc goes flying*
Old 05-02-03, 05:25 AM

Normally a good cleaning works for me. I put a little DVD Quick Shield on then wipe it off with a Scotch Brite microweave cloth. If that doesn't work then I can have them buffed out.
Old 05-02-03, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Make a frisbee out of it.
Old 05-02-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

... or a coaster / candleholder ... the light really reflects nicely off that shiny disc.
Old 05-02-03, 09:44 AM
Banned

eBay

kidding of course ...
Old 05-02-03, 02:13 PM

What the hell do you people do with your DVDs, use them as brake pads? If my DVDs were so messed up that I had to boil them, I think I'd begin re-thinking the way I handle the discs.
Old 05-02-03, 03:13 PM
Rest in Peace

Important you read post (s) that are *on* topic and informative!

Keep the ideas coming even the lurkers will be learning something on this useful today, and possibly years into the future thread. DVD prices are going back up to where they were when the format started!

Average MSRPrice for a block buster movie or movie, that's Digitally remastered in OAR and added Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, or 2 disc set like 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea cost $29.99 for red laser disc + shipping or sales tax if you buy local. Blue ray??

Cleaning a skipping disc will be well worth it, after using the method described hear, year after year. This a teaching or idea thread to save members/lurkers literally thousands of dollars over the discs lifetime.

Blue Violet AKA blu-ray will have the skipping problems also, they are just going to be using narrower laser pits. Correct me if I'm wrong, my recollection is, disc to be the *same* material as the DVD and CD are today.

Unless the material is changed it will effect discs tommorow and/or in the future also. Please open your eyes to what has worked for members valuable tips in red laser format, try and see what works best for you, I know I will!

Last edited by danol; 05-02-03 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-02-03, 03:23 PM

I buy another copy of the disc, swap it out, shrinkwrap it again, and return to the store.
Old 05-02-03, 03:46 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by caiman
What the hell do you people do with your DVDs, use them as brake pads? If my DVDs were so messed up that I had to boil them, I think I'd begin re-thinking the way I handle the discs.

If there are fingerprints on my disks I just use my shirt to wipe them off...pretty simple?
Old 05-02-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'll pass on the boiling water option. the only problems I've had with over 1,000 titles...are the problems that were born at the pressing plant. for those, there is nothing I can do except sit, watch, wait....then bitch till someone wakes up. you wont find one fingerprint or scratch on my discs...I handle with kid-gloves, and let nobody fondle them. even my dear sweet wife has me do it all. good girl.
Old 05-02-03, 04:41 PM

I let my dog clean them.
Old 05-02-03, 05:43 PM

The only one of mine I actually had to boil was a previewed disc bought during a sale at blockbuster. Like a fool, I didn't watch that movie right away so the 30 day return period had already gone by. Of course, I've since solved this problem so I'll never have to resort to this again- I've stopped buying previewed dvds.

Last edited by Tscott; 05-02-03 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-02-03, 05:47 PM

How about getting scratches off a disc that was loose in the package and skips due to that? Will this boiling method or other cleaning method work on those?
Old 05-02-03, 11:27 PM
Rest in Peace

DrOBoogie1

I use two methods for discs scratched in shipment:

1. Felt and buff in radial design, which is across the disc, movie starting point which is the nearest the hole in the middle towards the end of the disc.

2. The SkipDoctor which also cleans as the wheel turns, cleaning radial design, until the entire disc has been done clockwise.

P.S. I hope this helps you, and any smart lurker who is reading this very important to disc cleaning thread.
Old 05-03-03, 01:34 AM

How does the boiling method actually cure a skipping DVD/CD? Never heard of this method to fix a disc.
Old 05-03-03, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by laseca
How does the boiling method actually cure a skipping DVD/CD? Never heard of this method to fix a disc.
Good question. Maybe it instills fear in the rest of the DVD collection?
Old 05-03-03, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
Throw them out the window of my bus at passerbys.
Old 05-03-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Good question. Maybe it instills fear in the rest of the DVD collection?
[Robert Schimmel] You see your friend Louie over there? We're not ******* around over here. [/Robert Schimmel]

Old 05-03-03, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
[B]"Pull!" *disc goes flying* [img]

This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time!!..
Old 05-03-03, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Tscott
I've seen some mention here of a toothpaste method to fix badly scratched discs, but never had it explained clearly enough to try it (I'm afraid my dvd player might start rinsing and spitting the next time I used that disc if I did it wrong).
Toothpaste is a mild abrasive, and the idea is that it is supposed to "erase" light scratches. I have tried it, but didn't get much out of it. I use Turtle Wax instead. My method is simple; gently buff the entire disc a few times until there is a thin layer. Then I rinse it thoroughly with lukewarm water. Then I use a radial cleaner in the final step. Discs usually come out looking better than new.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.