Family Guy censored?

Old 04-30-03, 11:20 AM
colossus

Family Guy censored?

This is NOT in regards to the OBL joke or the missing episode, so please don't close this thread....

1) When I watched either the second or third episode, I remember seeing a Wheel of Fortune joke. Peter and Lois were watching, and the puzzle read "MY H_IRY _UNT". There was another scene and it came back, showing them walking out of the living room with Peter saying "My hairy aunt, who'd of thought?"

Watching the DVD, there's a scene mentioning "hairy aunt" but it doesn't appear to be on the DVD in any of the previous episodes.

2) I remember when Stewie blew out the b-day candle you could hear Hitler speaking and the 'sieg heil' chant. Now you hear a couple of dive-bombers and explosions....

Thoughts, anyone?

Old 04-30-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Re: Family Guy censored?

Originally posted by colossus

Thoughts, anyone?

My thought is that the word censored has been used wrongly in more threads then I can post in...
Old 04-30-03, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Re: Family Guy censored?

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
My thought is that the word censored has been used wrongly in more threads then I can post in...
Colossus has a point about censorship. If the scenes are missing what he remembers seeing on TV, then the discs are indeed censored.

Jackskeleton: would you like it if scenes from your favorite show came up missing? You shouldn't be so glib.
Old 04-30-03, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm pretty sure the Wheel of Fortune shot is on the DVD.
Old 04-30-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Re: Re: Re: Family Guy censored?

Originally posted by Buttmunker
Colossus has a point about censorship. If the scenes are missing what he remembers seeing on TV, then the discs are indeed censored.

Jackskeleton: would you like it if scenes from your favorite show came up missing? You shouldn't be so glib.
I don't recall any government official jumping in and demanding that the scenes in question be removed. That would be censorship, the issue at hand is if FOX removed scene's from it's own property.. If they own it, they have the legal right to remove, add, edit, burn, bury, copy, etc. anything they want because they own the said item. That is not Censorship.
Old 04-30-03, 12:52 PM

Main Entry: censor
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): cen·sored; cen·sor·ing /'sen(t)-s&-ri[ng], 'sen(t)s-ri[ng]/
Date: 1882
: to examine in order to suppress or delete anything considered objectionable

Main Entry: cen·sor·ship
Pronunciation: 'sen(t)-s&r-"ship
Function: noun
Date: circa 1591
1 a : the institution, system, or practice of censoring b : the actions or practices of censors; especially : censorial control exercised repressively
2 : the office, power, or term of a Roman censor
3 : exclusion from consciousness by the psychic censor
[B]

From Merriam-Webster OnLine
Old 04-30-03, 02:30 PM

In the Family Guy episode they do mention My H_iry _unt, but it's right after you see the them watching Wheel of Fortune where it says Go _uck Yourself and the answer is Go Tuck yourself in. So they mention it but do no show the aunt one. As for the Stewie part I have no idea, but if they cut the commentaries then they could have cut the episodes too.
Old 04-30-03, 02:55 PM
Banned

Jack-

When people say Censor they mean Cut. You know it, I know it, just leave it alone. You highjack every thread with this. Enough already, point taken.
Old 04-30-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is NOT in regards to the OBL joke or the missing episode, so please don't close this thread....

1) When I watched either the second or third episode, I remember seeing a Wheel of Fortune joke. Peter and Lois were watching, and the puzzle read "MY H_IRY _UNT". There was another scene and it came back, showing them walking out of the living room with Peter saying "My hairy aunt, who'd of thought?"

Watching the DVD, there's a scene mentioning "hairy aunt" but it doesn't appear to be on the DVD in any of the previous episodes.

2) I remember when Stewie blew out the b-day candle you could hear Hitler speaking and the 'sieg heil' chant. Now you hear a couple of dive-bombers and explosions....

Thoughts, anyone?
Can you please name me the episode numbers, names, and season? I’d like to download them and check them for you. Thanks.
Old 04-30-03, 03:29 PM
colossus

Re: Re: Family Guy censored?

Originally posted by Class316
Can you please name me the episode numbers, names, and season? I’d like to download them and check them for you. Thanks.
I've a friend with OC disorder that has them on tape. I'll check them and let you know.

Old 04-30-03, 03:31 PM
colossus

Re: Re: Re: Re: Family Guy censored?

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
That would be censorship, the issue at hand is if FOX removed scene's from it's own property.. If they own it, they have the legal right to remove, add, edit, burn, bury, copy, etc. anything they want because they own the said item. That is not Censorship.
If you're going to make noises about literal definitions, you might want to look over the guidlines regarding proper use of apostrophes and plurals.

Last edited by colossus; 04-30-03 at 03:34 PM.

Old 04-30-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Family Guy censored?

If you're going to make noises about literal definitions, you might want to look over the guidlines regarding proper use of apostrophes and plurals.
Old 04-30-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jack...there is a thing called "SELF-CENSORSHIP" It is when you choose, on your own, to say or not say something...it is still censorship, but not "government imposed" censorship...big difference...the word IS being used properly and has been for every instance that you protest it's use.
Old 04-30-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

IF indeed it was cut then why did they leave in the part where Brian says softly "you little runt" (it was soft enough to where you might mistake it for the c word) then lois said like "brian what was that" "I said, runt"
Old 04-30-03, 04:07 PM

For further proof, see the definitons I posted above. No mention to government involvement at all
Old 04-30-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Family Guy censored?

Damn grammer nazi's trying to censor me.

what's next? The Spell check bee's 'o' death?

I think it's a trade mark that I have to do whenever someone replaces "cut" with "censor" in a thread. It has become second nature.

though the discussion about "censorship" goes over the intended Self Censorship when brought up with such things as disney. It's a choice by the company to include or exclude a certain item from there. It does drive at me when sentences such as: "Di$ney is evil because they are censoring songs of the south and fantasia!!!!111".

as for the meaning...

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=censor
cen·sor ( P ) Pronunciation Key (snsr)
n.
A person authorized to examine books, films, or other material and to remove or suppress what is considered morally, politically, or otherwise objectionable.
An official, as in the armed forces, who examines personal mail and official dispatches to remove information considered secret or a risk to security.
One that condemns or censures.
One of two officials in ancient Rome responsible for taking the public census and supervising public behavior and morals.
Psychology. The agent in the unconscious that is responsible for censorship

I'll be stepping back away from the thread after being owned now.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 04-30-03 at 04:18 PM.
Old 04-30-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OKAY ALREADY.

No one can spell, no one knows what censorship is. Jesus.

Back to topic, what episodes were they?
Old 04-30-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jack that's the noun not the verb
Old 04-30-03, 04:46 PM

Thoughts, anyone?
it's dive bombers, explosions and marching boots
Old 04-30-03, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

nothing was changed except for the OBL scene. they even left in the mr. rogers openning for one episode that had been cut from airing as well.
Old 04-30-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I remembered when it first aired that the joke they showed was "Go Tuck Yourself In". That was highlight of the show for alot of my friends.
Old 04-30-03, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by mzupeman2
nothing was changed except for the OBL scene. they even left in the mr. rogers openning for one episode that had been cut from airing as well.
Liar.

Where's my JFK Pez dispenser scene? Huh!?
Old 04-30-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so again...what ep had the wheel segment?
Old 04-30-03, 08:57 PM

Imodium: that's a damn good question... I just went back and watched my downloaded copy of episode 105 and the JFK Pez dispenser is there... but it's gone on the DVD. Damn you FOX.
Old 04-30-03, 09:02 PM

The wheel of fortune part is exactly the same on the DVD as it was when it aired. I just checked my downloaded episode... oddly enough it's the same episode with the JFK Pez dispenser... 105 - A Hero Sits Next Door.

They show the puzzle for "GO _UCK YOURSELF " the lady on the show solves the puzzle with "Go Tuck Yourself In"... Chris says "Well, you were close dad" then Peter says "Yea, and I still can't believe we missed the phrase "My Hairy Aunt"".... that's it. they don't show the puzzle. Case Closed.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.