DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   POLTERGEIST II in mono.... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/289412-poltergeist-ii-mono.html)

highdef 04-30-03 07:43 AM

POLTERGEIST II in mono....

I was on another site and discovered this:

"Poltergeist II: The Other Side/Poltergeist III -- anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen with mono audio for II and anamorphic 1.85:1 widescreen with DD 2.0 audio for III. Original theatrical trailers will also be included."

POLTERGEIST II in mono!!!!!!!!! How can this be? My LD edition wasn't mono. I hope that this is a misprint.

Sosai X 04-30-03 08:00 AM

=P

Part II was OK, but a bit weird for me. III sucked so bad that I never even finished watching it. So, you're not out anything at all.

highdef 04-30-03 08:11 AM

I liked part 2 and agree with you concerning part 3. The sound issue on part 2 is what I can't understand?

Sosai X 04-30-03 08:20 AM

That may be the way the original theatrical prints were mastered. I dunno, I only saw the first one in the theater, and it was really crappy stereo.

highdef 04-30-03 08:23 AM

My LD copy of part 2 was in 2.0/stereo/surround.
This makes no sense as to release this title in mono!

Geofferson 04-30-03 08:43 AM

I agree - too bad it's in Mono, but at least it's finally released on DVD. :)

highdef 04-30-03 09:05 AM

Agreed, Geofferson, having POLTERGEIST II in anamorphic is a real treat. Still, the mono specs may indeed be a mistake,
as a 2.0 stereo surround soundtrack was available on LD.
We'll have to wait and see.

djtoell 04-30-03 09:39 AM

MGM has released Part II with a 2.0 surround track on DVD in other regions, so releasing it mono here would be rather odd.

DJ

Rammsteinfan 04-30-03 10:16 AM

Hmmm... 2.0 surround is probably what it will have but who knows! I am taking that this release will be a flipper, II on one side and III on the other?

AJW 04-30-03 11:32 AM

Anyone know the expected release date?

highdef 04-30-03 11:33 AM

August 26th

Iron Chef 04-30-03 11:36 AM

God is in his holy temple!

Steve Phillips 04-30-03 01:19 PM

That's likely an error; I'm sure the DVD will be stereo/surround.

chanster 04-30-03 01:35 PM

Julian Beck (The Preacher Guy) has to be one the scariest dudes ever in film. It scared the beejesus out of me when I saw this on TV.

I have a quick question about his character: Did he play it as a homage to Night of the Hunter? I remember watching Night of the Hunter and thinking they ripped off all the scary moments from that movie? Or was it just me?

danol 04-30-03 03:47 PM

Julian Beck

Julian Beck was also the banker in "Miami Vice 2:The Prodical Son" sequal to "Miami Vice".

I just looked at my "Polterguist II: The Other Side" and pre-record Vhs says Dolby Surround Stereo 1986.

I own both P1 on disc and P2 on vhs from
MGM/UA printed on spine and face with red and black text, on a semi-gloss Silver color background.

Favorite scene when all the butterflies seek (tall) real name Will Samson, there was a simular sceen in disc "The Craft".

Bacon 04-30-03 05:56 PM

Re: =P

Originally posted by Sosai X
Part II was OK, but a bit weird for me. III sucked so bad that I never even finished watching it. So, you're not out anything at all.
what there's a part 3? ;) I agree Part 3 is pathetic, on-topic it's most liekly a misprint or a dumb move by MGM

Sunday Morning 04-30-03 07:14 PM

If I play it on my t.v. with the sound really loud and pretend its in surround, will they take me?