Babylon 5 Season 2 - It is Anamorphic, right?

Old 04-30-03, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Babylon 5 Season 2 - It is Anamorphic, right?

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I haven't received my box set yet to check for myself.

The only reason I ask whether B5's Season 2 is anamorphic or not is because I can't find any info to verify that it IS anamorphic, and on Amazon it lists Season 2 as "letterboxed" where they list Season 1 as Anamorphic. Now, I know better than to use Amazon as a totally solid source of information, and I can't imagine that it's NOT anamorphic, but I just thought I'd ask to make sure.

I'm getting it either way, but I'm just curious.
Old 04-30-03, 06:47 AM

I've had mine for about a week now (thanks, Playcentric). The outer slipcase reads "WIDESCREEN VERSION Presented in a "matted" widescreen format preserving a theatrical exhibition aspect ratio. Enhanced for widescreen TVs." And yup, after putting it in, I can confirm that the box is correct.
Old 04-30-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah, it's anamorphic.
The video quality in the CG scenes also appears to be much improved over the Season 1 discs.
Old 04-30-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks. I figured it was anamorphic, but since I won't have my copy for another week or so I just wanted to make sure.

I've also heard that the video quality was better on this set. I can't wait to watch it. Season 2 is where the show REALLY started getting good (although Season 1 was still pretty darned good).
Old 04-30-03, 02:48 PM

Originally posted by B5Erik
I've also heard that the video quality was better on this set.
I've only watch the first episode so far, but the quality doesn't look much improved over the first season. &nbsp I can still see a lot of grain in some of the live action shots. &nbsp
Old 05-01-03, 01:08 AM

How about CGI shots?

Are those as screwed up as they were in the S1 set?
Old 05-01-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: How about CGI shots?

There was some discussion a long time ago (when they started showing the WS versions on TV) about the CGI and some problems they had with Season 1 over the rest. I donít remember what the problems were, but IIRC there should be improvement starting with Season 2.

The CGI was still done in 4:3, as opposed to the live action. So, if the complaint is that CGI shots are cropped, that will still be the case.
Old 05-01-03, 07:59 PM

Re: Re: How about CGI shots?

Originally posted by Wizdar
The CGI was still done in 4:3, as opposed to the live action. So, if the complaint is that CGI shots are cropped, that will still be the case.
Nope, I 'm not complaining about the CGI shots, I'm complaining about the grain on a lot of the live action scenes. &nbsp This is the same problem we had with season one. &nbsp