DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk Archive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive-54/)
-   -   MGM what is the deal?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-archive/289390-mgm-what-deal.html)

Rockybalboa 04-30-03 12:59 AM

MGM what is the deal??

I cannot understand this company, sometimes you want to kiss them, sometimes kill them...

They have some B horror movies coming in Aug, and from what I have read, they are all anamorphic WS!!!!
Great, I am not interested in any of them, but I am very happy that they are releasing them right for the fans that do enjoy them.

They have Sure thing coming in WS, and if I understand correct, Last American Virgin WS, which are both great, but why is Hot Dog the movie FS?

Now the bad

Why is Remo Williams Fullscreen only
Why is Missing in action 2,3 fullscreen only
Why is Rocky 2, 4 NOT anamorphic in the US only, everywhere else remastered anamorphic.
Where is Electric Dreams
Why is Hot Dog the movie only fullscreen
Breakin and Breakin 2 fullscreen only

MGM, you have done some great work, why as a company do you refuse to be consistant?

HoNuts 04-30-03 01:29 AM

Rocky IV in the box-set is Anamorphic.

D-Ball 04-30-03 01:42 AM

Originally posted by HoNuts
It wasn't anamorphic in the box set I had. I believe MGM did eventually fix the subtitle problem, but it is still the same non-anamorphic transfer.

pro-bassoonist 04-30-03 01:55 AM

...and dont even get me started on the Foreign releases (esp. the French titles I so want to buy from them AND WILL NOT).

I can not understand what;s the problem if a movie is shot in 1/1.66 or something different than 1/1.85 or 1/ 2.35....WHY ARE THESE FILMS NOT ANAMORPHIC??

MGM's foreign "policy" is what forced me to buy a region-free player! Unbelievable!!!!

demonio 04-30-03 02:16 AM

dude, to me we should just be happy that some of those movies are being released, like Breakin' 1 & 2.........

no need to complain cause more than likely they'll never get rereleased.

I'm just happy about the Troll 1 & 2 double feature, who'd a thunk?

Rockybalboa 04-30-03 07:20 AM

Originally posted by demonio
dude, to me we should just be happy that some of those movies are being released, like Breakin' 1 & 2.........

no need to complain cause more than likely they'll never get rereleased.

I'm just happy about the Troll 1 & 2 double feature, who'd a thunk?

They are releasing them now, when the technology exists to release them the right way, I do not buy the "should be happy they are being released".

MGM has several releases with WS and FS on both discs.

And Rocky 4 in the US has NEVER had an anamorphic release, in all other regions it has, and no, not even in the box set.

matome 04-30-03 07:48 AM

Originally posted by Rockybalboa
They are releasing them now, when the technology exists to release them the right way, I do not buy the "should be happy they are being released".

MGM has several releases with WS and FS on both discs.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sosai X 04-30-03 08:14 AM

I can't speak for the others, but "Remo Williams" was shot full frame, and soft matted to 1.85:1 for its theatrical presentation. So, none of the original film image is lost at all. Personally, I have been waiting for Remo for years, and will take the disc anyway it comes!

hurricane 04-30-03 08:26 AM

I'm HAPPY!!!!!

I'm like the other poster said just happy they are releasing these movies for such a CHEAP price.

I can't wait for the "Poltergiest II & III" double feature for $14.95!!!!

Don't complain and just enjoy!

bboisvert 04-30-03 08:31 AM

Rocky IV in the boxed set is the exact same non-anamorphic edition that they released in 1997, complete with missing subtitles.

myrdh 04-30-03 08:51 AM

Re: MGM what is the deal??

Where is Electric Dreams

Awaiting this also. However, I think this is a Warner title and they have no plan on releasing this.

Rockybalboa 04-30-03 09:20 AM

Re: I'm HAPPY!!!!!

Originally posted by hurricane
I'm like the other poster said just happy they are releasing these movies for such a CHEAP price.

I can't wait for the "Poltergiest II & III" double feature for $14.95!!!!

Don't complain and just enjoy!

I cannot enjoy a FS release, especially with my WIDESCREEN TV!
Remo was on HD HBO last week, in WS.

I will "enjoy" when they are done correctly.

hurricane 04-30-03 09:26 AM

Hmmmmm

Let's see, Full screen or NO movie?

Hmmmm I think I'll take the Full screen.

Something is better than nothing at all. Oh don't get
me wrong I still would love to see the anamorphic version but
unfortunately no one asked me for my opinion.

SteveBlair 04-30-03 09:38 AM

No OAR = No Sale.

Plain and simple for me.

hurricane 04-30-03 09:46 AM

Oh well.

Oh well to each his own, but at $14.95 I'm not complaining.

Now if I was paying $19.95 or higher then I would be complaining.

I hate to tell you guys this but a majority of mainstream customers (the average Joe)) rather full screen over widescreen.

Don't you wonder why Blockbuster carries most of their movies on Fullscreen? It's not because they want to _ iss you guys off.
It's because the DEMAND is for Full Screen versions by customers.

I know because I've worked on surveys for Blockbuster asking customers what they prefer.

Rockybalboa 04-30-03 09:57 AM

Re: Oh well.

Oh well to each his own, but at $14.95 I'm not complaining.

Now if I was paying $19.95 or higher then I would be complaining.

I hate to tell you guys this but a majority of mainstream customers (the average Joe)) rather full screen over widescreen.

Don't you wonder why Blockbuster carries most of their movies on Fullscreen? It's not because they want to _ iss you guys off.
It's because the DEMAND is for Full Screen versions by customers.

I know because I've worked on surveys for Blockbuster asking customers what they prefer.

The technology exists to put both on one disc, end of problem!

Rockybalboa 04-30-03 09:58 AM

Re: Hmmmmm

Let's see, Full screen or NO movie?

Hmmmm I think I'll take the Full screen.

Something is better than nothing at all. Oh don't get
me wrong I still would love to see the anamorphic version but
unfortunately no one asked me for my opinion.

I will take the no movie, I am sending my message with my wallet.

hurricane 04-30-03 10:16 AM

Why not?

I still can't understand for the life of me why ALL the studios don't put both versions of a movie on the SAME disc or set. Does anyone remember "Ice Age" for example?

Rockybalboa 04-30-03 03:17 PM

Re: Why not?

I still can't understand for the life of me why ALL the studios don't put both versions of a movie on the SAME disc or set. Does anyone remember "Ice Age" for example?

Because almost all postings on this board would die. -wink-

demonio 04-30-03 03:30 PM

Does anybody know what the OAR of the Breakin' movies are??

I think I remember reading that they were filmed in open matte anyway.

HoNuts 04-30-03 03:46 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert
Rocky IV in the boxed set is the exact same non-anamorphic edition that they released in 1997, complete with missing subtitles.
Sorry, my copy of Rocky IV that I got from the boxset @Amazon about 3 months ago IS 100% Anamorphic. Only part 2 in this set is non-anamorphic. I don't know how else to prove it to you all, but I definitely know how to check if a disc is anamorphic or not. What subtitles are missing? I'll check them out as well.

Rockybalboa 04-30-03 03:58 PM

Sorry, my copy of Rocky IV that I got from the boxset @Amazon about 3 months ago IS 100% Anamorphic. Only part 2 in this set is non-anamorphic. I don't know how else to prove it to you all, but I definitely know how to check if a disc is anamorphic or not. What subtitles are missing? I'll check them out as well.
It is not. Rocky 2, and 4 have not been remasted since they were first put out, you can even check the new packaging on the individual releases that just came out, 1,3,5 are anamorphic, 2, 4 are not. In Japan, and all other regions 2 and 4 ARE anamorphic.

HoNuts 04-30-03 04:35 PM

It is not. Rocky 2, and 4 have not been remasted since they were first put out, you can even check the new packaging on the individual releases that just came out, 1,3,5 are anamorphic, 2, 4 are not. In Japan, and all other regions 2 and 4 ARE anamorphic.
I sincerely don't know how to say this, but my copy of Rocky IV appears to be anamorphic.

1) PowerDVD says that it is 16:9
2) my dvd player when set to 16:9 mode gives that stretched look that confirms a disc is anamorphic
3) The back of the case says 16:9 enhanced

Is there some sort of utility other than PowerDVD that I can use to confirm this? I don't want to start a verbal war with anyone regarding this. Is it possible that MGM slipped an Anamorphic version of Rocky IV out there that few have noticed? I can post screencaps of the results, a scan of the back of the case if anyone can host the pictures. This is turning very interesting.

Rockybalboa 04-30-03 04:57 PM

I suppose anything is possible........

Do you have a 16X9 TV? Do you have a scan or photo of the back of the cover?

I have been checking all over for an anamorphic release of this, only found in other regions.

HoNuts 04-30-03 05:13 PM

I suppose anything is possible........

Do you have a 16X9 TV? Do you have a scan or photo of the back of the cover?

I have been checking all over for an anamorphic release of this, only found in other regions.

Check your email for the coverscan I just sent you. I don't have a 16X9 TV, but I can easily check to see if a disc is anamorphically encoded. I'm not trying to pull a joke on anyone either. I know for a fact that my copy of part 4 is anamorphic.